Holy Bad Smell, Batman!

Thread: Holy Bad Smell, Batman!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-22-2016 @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks

Holy Bad Smell, Batman!

I decided to replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump to the carb on my 165. When I pulled the fuel line off the tractor I realized it smelled really badly...like a roofing tar smell. Anyone experienced this? I wonder if the OEM rubber is deteriorating from the ethanol added to our fuels. I don't remember the SeaFoam smelling like that when I added it to my fuel can so I don't think it's that.

The smell was so bad that upon going in the house for the evening my wife insisted that I immediately take a shower and put my clothes in the slop sink in the basement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=CarNutCass;170940]I decided to replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump to the carb on my 165. When I pulled the fuel line off the tractor I realized it smelled really badly...like a roofing tar smell. Anyone experienced this? I wonder if the OEM rubber is deteriorating from the ethanol added to our fuels. I don't remember the SeaFoam smelling like that when I added it to my fuel can so I don't think it's that.

The smell was so bad that upon going in the house for the evening my wife insisted that I immediately take a shower and put my clothes in the slop sink in the basement.[/QUOTE]

Does the fuel from the tank smell "funny" also, old? Today's alky diluted fuel certainly IS NOT good for older rubber formulations, that's a fact !

BTW, my wife tells me that EVERY time I come into the house... I think it's just a habit from the olden days!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements