Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Moving from x590 to x758

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks

Moving from x590 to x758

Hello everybody,

We moved into a new house last year and bought the x590. After a year or so, I realized that I wanted the 4x4 x7 series. I have some fairly steep slopes in my yard and even with the locking differential and HDAP tires on the x590, I still slide some while going across the slopes during mowing. I also want to plow my driveway and I figure the 4x4 will help with that.

The x590 has been a great machine, no doubt about that, but it was never the machine that I wanted it to be. I'm not criticizing the x590 at all, but I guess I just always wanted more and envied the x7 series.

I think the x758 will fit my needs (and wants) better. I figure that the tractor should last the next 25-30 years with proper maintenance. I don't really have a use for a front end loader and I don't want to move into the 1 series right now. Mowing and snow removal are my main priorities.

I have the x758 on order with the 54" quick hitch plow and it should be here next week. The dealer offered me a fair trade on the x590. I'm hoping I made the right decision and investment.

Has anyone else moved from the x5 series to the x7 series? What were your impressions?

Thanks, everyone.
    mjncad, Levi, johnH123 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay26 View Post
    Hello everybody,

We moved into a new house last year and bought the x590. After a year or so, I realized that I wanted the 4x4 x7 series. I have some fairly steep slopes in my yard and even with the locking differential and HDAP tires on the x590, I still slide some while going across the slopes during mowing. I also want to plow my driveway and I figure the 4x4 will help with that.

The x590 has been a great machine, no doubt about that, but it was never the machine that I wanted it to be. I'm not criticizing the x590 at all, but I guess I just always wanted more and envied the x7 series.

I think the x758 will fit my needs (and wants) better. I figure that the tractor should last the next 25-30 years with proper maintenance. I don't really have a use for a front end loader and I don't want to move into the 1 series right now. Mowing and snow removal are my main priorities.

I have the x758 on order with the 54" quick hitch plow and it should be here next week. The dealer offered me a fair trade on the x590. I'm hoping I made the right decision and investment.

Has anyone else moved from the x5 series to the x7 series? What were your impressions?

Thanks, everyone.
    I added a 1025R to the X590. When I decide to get another tractor, I would definitely get another 1 series or even a 2. Spend the extra coin now, and you won’t regret it later. The 7 series was never considered again after I tested the 1 series.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ISPTrooper For This Useful Post:

KDNitz (01-22-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    I agree test drive a 1 series. You can get it with out a FEL if you want. I just traded for one with out a FEL. Spend the money and be done.. you are right they will last more than 20 years with good maintanence.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Fozsey like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay26 View Post
    Hello everybody,

Thanks, everyone.
    First off, we all do things for our own reasons. While it's helpful to obtain the input of others, it's obviously you who has to be happy and satisfied with the decisions you make.

The x758 is an excellent machine. It's as good a mowing lawn tractor as you can buy. You won't regret having the Yanmar diesel. You will be surprised by the power and capabilities of your new machine.

I would very strongly encourage you to, at a minimum, obtain the John Deere 54" Plow widener kit which will add 18" to the snow plow width and give you the ability to clear 6 foot in a pass, instead of 4'6". The tractor can easily handle the extra plow width and frankly, you are wasting time plowing by NOT having the additional plow width. Trust me, you will be glad you did this.......

Here is a link to the plow widening options. Just note, the link I posted is for an aftermarket product, which is exceptional. Deere also has a kit, which is shown and talked about in the other threads on the widening of the 54" plow. Take the time to read about these options. You will be very glad you did.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...e-54-plow.html

Make sure you have a rear weight bar and a minimum of 4 of the 47# suitcase weights. You will need the extra weight on the rear of the tractor to make it plow efficiently and correctly.

With the turf tires, you have the best snow clearing tires made for a small tractor. You still may want to consider either a set of tire chains or Terra Grip traction strips for the rear tires, despite the 4x4 on the tractor.

I can't tell where you are located, other than the USA but it must snow where you are or you wouldn't be purchasing the plow. Whether you get wet heavy snow or a mixture, the tractor can and will handle it. I have owned a predecessor to the x750, which is the 455, since 1996 when I bought it new. It has been an incredible machine and one which I decided to keep, despite buying the 1 series and a host of implements.

Another benefit of the x758 is that everything is truly SHAFT DRIVEN, from the mid mount mower to the front snow thrower or the front mounted broom. I would very strongly encourage you to consider adding the rear PTO and the Rear 3 point hitch to the x758. It will add diversity for your lawn care with such great options as rear mounted sprayers, PTO driven fertilizer spreaders and a wide range of other 3 point attachments which only enhance your x758's capabilities and functional use.

One thing you will find is that with the x758 and the 3 point hitch and the rear PTO, you now are spending as much, and perhaps even more, than you would to purchase the 1 series, either 1023e or 1025R. Personally, we are always finding new ways to use these machines to help take care of our properties and the front end loader is an extremely handy feature. I use the pallet forks for all kinds of lifting and transport projects other than for pallets. But if your mind is set on the x758, there is certainly nothing wrong with the machine. In fact, as I said earlier, it is the premier 4x4 lawn and garden tractor made in my opinion and pretty much anyone who has owned and driven and knows these machines.

I would not try to talk you out of the x758, as you have definitive reasons why you selected it and want it. It's just from a cost perspective, the 1 series is at the same price point as the x758 with the 3 point hitch and rear PTO. Also, I would suggest if you are set on the x758, then seriously consider the rear 3 point hitch and the rear PTO, as it makes an extremely versatile machine even better.

Sometimes, it's not all about dollars and cents. You will find the mower on the x758 provides an excellent cut result. With the grades in your lawn you mentioned, mowing them with the x758 would be safer than mowing them with the 1023e or 1025R because of the x758's lower center of gravity and stature.

I think leaving the x590 is an easy decision. Nothing wrong with the x590 as it's a great machine. But the x758 is much more of a machine and you are going to be impressed. The x758 will probably burn about 3 quarts of fuel per hour while mowing. These are very durable and efficient machines.

As far as your comment about last 25 to 30 years, that is certainly possible. My 23 year old 455 has about 2,650 hours of use on it and it is still a fine running and fully functioning machine. It takes staying up with the maintenance and treating it with respect and there is every reality that you will still have the x758 two or even three decades from now. In my case, I already have had it's predecessor for nearly 24 years.

I will tell you that there will be far fewer x758 machines around 10, 20 and 30 years from now when compared to the 1025R or 1023e as the 1 series outsells the x75x series very handily. That is not a knock on the x75x, it's just the reality because of the pricing of these machines.

I seriously doubt you will ever regret owning the x758. However, one reality you may find, which many of us have over time, is depending upon the size of your property which you are mowing, the ultimate mowing machines are the zero turn mowers. They are single purpose machines, but they are excellent at the one thing they were designed to do. For years, I was very satisfied with the mowing of my 455 with the 60" MMM. But when I tried a 60" ExMark Lazer Zero Turn mower, it's truly the pinnacle for cutting grass. Very good cut, very efficient machines but all they do is mow.........

Many os us own the comparable to an x7xx series tractor and a zero turn mower. But for now, focus on your new x758. You will be very pleased and I am sure the x758 will surpass your expectations. Just don't be surprised if in a year or two we are having a discussion about you adding a Zero Turn mower to your "fleet". There are many of us here on GTT who swore up and down that we were perfectly happy with mowing with our lawn tractors. Then, well, let's just say....Never say never.......

Make sure to post photos once you get it home.......We will want to see it.

Congratulations and welcome to GTT....We are glad you are here.

Correction -----I noticed you have just 6 posts and I glanced at the join date and saw April, now I just noticed that it's April 2017, so you have been around for a year, just carefully selecting your posts. Well, still Welcome to being an active poster.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 05-15-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added correction.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

356 (05-17-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sulley. I really appreciate the feedback. I was definitely planning on getting the 18" extension to the plow based on some forum posts and YouTube videos I've watched. But, I've also read that the x758 shouldn't need extra weight for plowing since it's 4x4, although you're recommending them. I guess I'll have to see how it does in the snow.

I truly cannot see myself buying a zero turn in the foreseeable future. It took enough to convince the wife to trade the x590!
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    I didn't buy a x7xx but SIL father traded in his x590 2 yrs ago for a x738. Except for 10-15hrs the dealer put on the machine , I've put the the remaining 130+ hrs.
    I do like the way it goes from 2 WD to 4wd , the first time going up or down a hill I wondered. After that it works great no issues ,IMO it doesn't spin near as easy as the x590 even when it was in 4WD.

For you going with the diesel you should see a big difference in the amount of fuel compared to gasoline.
    I've mowed with the SIL 2305 at his dads and where I've used 4-5 gals of gas , I used maybe 3 gals of diesel.

Wish you luck, enjoy
    Levi, X748SE and Fozsey like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Fun facts:
    Mowing steep grades.
    With the 60 inch HC deck, you will actually lose traction on the steer tire highest on the slope when cross cutting. The reason for this is the X758 at that point is now pivoting on the low side of the deck and simply digs into the bank. Makes it ALMOST impossible to roll over the machine. Don't panic and ride it out, you can mow like a 40 degree slope drifting like a boss as the front wheels pull you along rofl.

You CAN stall the motor even at wot trying to drag something behind you.... like idk, a 30 ft long 17 inch diameter fresh cut tree trunk. There is a trick to making the stubborn log come with you. WOT and only depressing the go yo go yo pedal 3/4s or less. I'm not the guy that knows why, but you have significantly more go yos in the bank at 3/4 pedal than just mashing it down. If you do just mash it once moving... she'll give up the ghost.

#BogDownForWhat
    I no longer feel the need to own a wood splitter, I've hit 4inch rounds laying in the yard and turned it into mulch. It's very loud and very scary. Sends chunks flying like 30ft away. It doesn't care. Now if you happen to leave a 5/8ths transport chain in the yard, even mowing away 3 inches off the earth, the stock deere high lift blades will pick it up. This will send links into orbit and wrap up in your blades bringing you from WOT to no throttle.

I'm not picking on all you people.
    In my PERSONAL OPINION, I don't care for the 1 series. Now a 2032/38 bracket or mower + tractor sure. Yes I understand, we can't all own two machines (I don't) so we have to compromise. Me personally, I'm saving my nickels up for a 70's diesel 4020. More tractor than I'll ever need and it'll look beautiful on top of the hill in my front lawn.

Ya'll 1 series people though, keep doing your awesome stuff, I honestly do enjoy watching it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    I see no problem getting 25-30 years of service. My JD 285 was 28yo when it was stolen last year. I'll bet it's still running for someone.

It was used hard, loaned to brother and SIL (not the most careful operators), but always maintained, fixed as needed. It had wear and tear and did not look brand new, but operated as new. Seat never was replaced (needed replaced, but still functional, I've seen much worse) Hood and fenders had scratches, and rear fender assembly had crack (operator error, backed into a tree )

Repairs ranged from hood latch (plastic broke easily) to plastic cam gear (lost 7 teeth at 1100 hours). My guess was the plastic cam gear became brittle over time and they will all break given enough time.

For mow & snow, I'd take an x7xx series over a 1 or 2 series. If I wanted to do more, then I would consider a dedicated mow tractor/zero turn AND a SCUT or MCUT
    Fozsey and TDavis1992 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Add the rear PTO and 3pt from the factory so you get the 0% financing. I'm doing it after the fact on my x758 PLUS purchasing attachments. Gets more expensive that way.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    If you don't need a FEL or 3 point hitch you are better off with a x700 series. If you added a 3 point and aftermarket bucket to the x700 series. You would be around the same price as the 1 series. The x700 series is better for mowing than the 1 series anyway. I have a x738 with a 60HC deck and a plow with extensions. I wanted one machine to mow and to plow snow. I would of gotten a zero turn if I didn't have to plow snow.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 05-16-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    North585, Zebrafive and Fozsey like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast