Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wyobuckaroo

Thread: chisel/box or?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks

chisel/box or?

What everyone's opinion on 3pt attachments for grade work. I have an fel on my 455 and wondering if a chisel plow could initially rip the ground and then the fel could do the finishing touches on regarding the side of my house. I found a 4 ft chisel for around 100$ where a new 48" box blade goes for 500$ +.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    On my rock pile here by the lake.... I had a lot of fox hole type depressions in the yard where trees had been up rooted at one time or another...

Like you said, I used my FEL, homemade 3pt chisel digger, and 3pt rake on my older JD 855... There are likely better tools to use, but then they are all more expensive than what I have invested in materials etc....

It may take more time with these tools than other implements... But that is more seat time, and lower cost implements...

Good luck...
    ===
    Rake
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThatchRakeRev1_zps6d81d136.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	36653

Chisel digger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cultivatorwithgagewheels2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	36654
    Levi likes this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    The 455 isn't enough tractor for that kind of work. You're likely to just damage the tractor, and it won't pull a 4' box very effectively either. If you gotta do it, stick with the plow. But, I'd consider renting a bobcat for the day or hire it out. You might be surprised how affordably you can just pay someone to do it, if you shop around. If you break your 455, what's that going to cost ya?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    You may get by with a single tooth digging shallow and increasing depth as you get the ground loosened up. I used a tiller several years ago to loosen the soil then used the FEL to remove what I needed . I was increasing the depth of water way on the hill behind my house . It worked quite well only took some time.
    I also used a 3 pt. 8 spring tooth cultivater on the 425 to work up an area where we buried the barn on the farm , area was much to small to use the big farm tractors and equipment. It worked fine but I could not go more than about 2" deep, which was fine for what I wanted.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements