Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Can't Find 'Em...Make 'Em!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-22-2016 @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks

Can't Find 'Em...Make 'Em!

I bought my model 38 snow blower off Craigslist. It was mostly complete with the exception of the mule drive tension spring and hook, the chute directional handle, and the frame support bars.

I bought the spring off Amazon and made the hook from a piece of round stock I purchased at Lowe's. I made the chute directional handle from a piece of all-thread rod...maybe not the best material to use but the handle doesn't really experience any stress or strain so it should be fine.

The last thing missing...and by far the hardest part(s) to find are the frame braces. I have been looking for quite some time and have decided to make a pair while I continue to look for the OEM parts. Using 1/4" flat stock I drilled and bent the right one. It fits well. It's not as heavy gauge as the OEM part but will have to do for now. The left will be a bit more challenging as you have to accommodate for steering linkage and you cannot use the pedal pivot rod on the left like you can on the right. I'll let you know how that goes.

Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional fabricator and only have standard mechanics tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homemade%u00252BChute%u00252BHandle%u00252B-%u00252BResized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	36612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homemade%u00252BFrame%u00252BBracket%u00252BIII.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	36613

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CarNutCass For This Useful Post:

RandyM (12-11-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 671 Posts
    This is GREAT! After you get it all done you may find you'll just stop looking for the OE parts. Oh, and standard mechanics tools can do a heck of a job with the proper hand attached to them. Excellent post, keep it coming.
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts
    I love posts like this! I have no imagination or fabricating skills at all - have always had to depend on factory replacement parts. I've never worked with metal or even touched a welder.

I do have a couple small projects in mind, and feel fairly confident that I can get the help I need from our great members here. I'm sure they can walk me through just about anything.
    56FordGuy, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I love taking on tasks like this but am limited by the lack of fabrication knowledge and typical machinery for working heavier gauge metals.

I'm flirting with the idea of asking for an inexpensive wire-feed welder for Christmas but made the "mistake" of talking to my neighbor who is an iron worker. He has strongly advised me against getting an El Cheapo (Harbor Freight) welder and insists that Lincoln or Miller welders are the only real options. While I'm sure his advice is great advice, I know from my years as a mechanic that professionals would never recommend any hand tool brands other than MAC, Snap-On, MATCO, etc yet I've repaired hundreds of cars, boats, lawn tractors, you name it, with my cheapie Craftsman tools.

The best advice I could give to anyone with an interest in automotive repair is to do two things, A) Try to cozy up to a friend or neighbor who has mechanical experience...most gear-heads are more than happy to share their knowledge, and B) Buy a lawn tractor in need of repair and tear it down one system, one assembly, one part at a time. The Deere 160 that I have hooked to my snow blower only cost me $145 in running condition, so not really expensive as far as training tools go.

Here's a pic of the beast as she sits in my garage at this moment. Just finished installing a new hydro transaxle fan and need to install the new drive belt next. The hood is off because it doesn't open well with the blower attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deere%u00252B165%u00252BVI.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	36622
    Last edited by CarNutCass; 12-11-2014 at 05:06 PM.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the thanks, RandyM.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not a mechanic or a professional welder but I completely agree with just getting a good MIG and be done with it. The inexpensive ones are not built well at all. Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. You really do get what you pay for. Size it for what you're gonna stick together. If never over 1/4" plate you can get by with a 120V machine with preheat and flux wire. If over that you really should step up to the big ones.

Also go for an auto darkening helmet. $.02.

Jim
    Levi likes this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I agree with Jim. And some of what you say is very true as well, CNC. Many hand tools you can get away with the buying the less expensive. But, there are things that are a world of difference when you buy the more pricey units. Welders are definitely one of those tools. I would highly recommend the Lincoln and Miller welders. Again, you will be able to weld with the HF units but you'll NEVER the premium welds, unless you are OK with that. Just saying there is a difference.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Great advice, guys. Thanks! The logical side of my brain says that the better welders are the way to go but the part of my brain that gets excited about a new tractor or new tool says "Just get a cheapie to get started." The cost for a good welder puts them out of reach for now given the relatively small amount of welding I'd do...although everyone tells me that I'll be searching for things to weld. lol

I've always been a gear-head. Started off building bicycles and then helping a next door neighbor swap the engine in his '55 Chevy Bel Air. Did my first solo engine swap at 17 in my Plymouth. Was a diesel mechanic in the Army and then a fleet mechanic when I got out. I sit at a desk for a living now so lawn tractors and maintaining our vehicles is my only real outlet for wrenching. As a matter of fact I'm off work today, burning vacation days befroe the end of the year, and plan to work on one or more project in the garage.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Now, with all that being said, there is nothing wrong with you go inexpensive to get you started. You can always upgrade later. I have done this myself many times. Just be aware that there is some extra cost involved to do that. Sounds like you have thought this through. Good luck on your final decision.
    Levi likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Now, with all that being said, there is nothing wrong with you go inexpensive to get you started. You can always upgrade later. I have done this myself many times. Just be aware that there is some extra cost involved to do that. Sounds like you have thought this through. Good luck on your final decision.
    I agree with Randy. I too have gone the way of buying cheap up front only to regret the purchase down the road. My usual train of thought is if I need/want something, get a good quality tool/unit/device, whatever and be happy. The downside to this is you can end up spending money on stuff you won't use so much. So one must choose wisely.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast