• 2 Post By ToddRM
  • 1 Post By 356

Thread: D110 lawn tractor belt falling off

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

Exclamation D110 lawn tractor belt falling off

Hi All! I'm new here and am having a problem with my D110 that I can't find an answer to anywhere I've looked.

I bought it in 2016 and the first year it worked great.

I removed the mower deck last year to clean it, and since I reinstalled it, the belt has been falling off every time I disengege the PTO. The belt seems very loose around the engine pulley. All the pulleys seem to be aligned well. They turn freely, but the belt is very hot when I shut it down.

According to the manual, the belt is routed correctly. The two things I noticed in the manual that were different than what I see on the mower is the front mount bracket and the pulley "adjustment".
    My mower has a non-adjustable cable bracket (welded to the deck), and the front mount bracket has 3 holes rather than the 2 shown in the manual. They are also not labeled "hydro" and "auto" as mentioned in the manual.

This is driving me nuts! I've gone through 3 belts already. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I hope I can fix this before I trash another belt.

Todd
    Last edited by ToddRM; 05-17-2018 at 06:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Pictures

A couple pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180517_184557.jpg   20180517_184604.jpg  

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Did you remove the black plastic pulley covers from the deck and not put them back on? I had a similar problem last year which was solved by replacing the pulley covers.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    Did you remove the black plastic pulley covers from the deck and not put them back on? I had a similar problem last year which was solved by replacing the pulley covers.
    I did try that, thanks. I put them back on since they are supposed to keep the belt from falling off the idler pulleys.

Luckily, I think I fixed it! The manual has a picture of the front mount that isn't very clear, especially if I'm not wearing my glasses. I thought it showed only two holes in the mount tab. They are also supposed to be labeled (stamped) with HYDRO and AUTO. Mine are not. So I just put the pin back in the same hole it was in when I bought it.... the upper front hole. This time I moved it to the lower hole. I just mowed for an hour and a half and the belt is still on and not hot to the touch!! FINALLY after replacing 3 belts last year, I think it's good!

Thanks for the reply. Have a nice weekend!

Todd

PS... the manual also says that the cable bracket is adjustable. Again... mine is NOT. It's welded to the deck.
    fdmars and Catfishin like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    I'm glad you got it fixed. I worked on one of those a few years ago for a friend and Think I remember there was a big angle from the drive pulley down to the deck in the mowing position. They were experiencing short belt life. Is yours like that?
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I'm glad you got it fixed. I worked on one of those a few years ago for a friend and Think I remember there was a big angle from the drive pulley down to the deck in the mowing position. They were experiencing short belt life. Is yours like that?
    Yep. That's what I was seeing. The belt kept falling off the engine pulley.

Now that that's working, the spindle brakes are not engaging all the way when I disengage the PTO. That should be an easy fix, though.
    Last edited by ToddRM; 05-18-2018 at 07:06 PM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddRM View Post
    Luckily, I think I fixed it! The manual has a picture of the front mount that isn't very clear....
    PS... the manual also says that the cable bracket is adjustable. Again... mine is NOT. It's welded to the deck.

Hold it...a JD manual that is not clear? I am shocked, simply shocked! Let's make sure no-one at John Deere gets word of this, as it would put forums like this out of business.

On a serious note, I am glad you got it working again. I have a similar lawn tractor (D100) and experienced the same issue.
    firemachine69 likes this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    Hold it...a JD manual that is not clear? I am shocked, simply shocked! Let's make sure no-one at John Deere gets word of this, as it would put forums like this out of business.

On a serious note, I am glad you got it working again. I have a similar lawn tractor (D100) and experienced the same issue.
    Haha! One thing that kinda bothers me is that the manual says I should be using the upper hole for the D110 Hydro trans. I'll leave it where it is because it's working.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements