LA110 no-start help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LA110 no-start help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-23-2018 @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks

LA110 no-start help

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and am looking for a little help on my LA110. It's from '06 or '07, I've had it for about 7 years. I've serviced it myself and it's run great as long as I've had it. It's fairly lightly used these days and winters over in a dry garage. This spring I put in fresh gas, a new fuel filter and new spark plug and started hauling wood that had blown down over the winter. All went well until afternoon, I'd started and turned it off probably 10 times that day, and when I went to fire it again it cranked fine but wouldn't fire. It cranks for 2-3 seconds, coughs/backfires once, and repeats. Here's everything I've checked since then, with zero change:
    - fuel cap is clear and I've cranked it with the cap off completely with no change
    - fuel pump works and I'm getting fuel to the cylinder
    - carb solenoid (safety switch) is working correctly
    - plug fires when grounded to block and cranked
    - battery is good and I even switched for a brand new battery with no improvement
    - carb was disassembled and cleaned thoroughly
    - all wires, switches and grounds appear to be correct
    - spraying carb cleaner into carb when cranking has no effect
    - turning the flywheel by hand feels like I have compression...easy for a bit and then harder as compression builds, then easy again

I'm leaning towards an engine issue but hesitate to tear into it without knowing what I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone out there has experienced something similar and can offer guidance. Many thanks!

Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    Hi all - I'm new to the forum and am looking for a little help on my LA110. It's from '06 or '07, I've had it for about 7 years. I've serviced it myself and it's run great as long as I've had it. It's fairly lightly used these days and winters over in a dry garage. This spring I put in fresh gas, a new fuel filter and new spark plug and started hauling wood that had blown down over the winter. All went well until afternoon, I'd started and turned it off probably 10 times that day, and when I went to fire it again it cranked fine but wouldn't fire. It cranks for 2-3 seconds, coughs/backfires once, and repeats. Here's everything I've checked since then, with zero change:
    - fuel cap is clear and I've cranked it with the cap off completely with no change
    - fuel pump works and I'm getting fuel to the cylinder
    - carb solenoid (safety switch) is working correctly
    - plug fires when grounded to block and cranked
    - battery is good and I even switched for a brand new battery with no improvement
    - carb was disassembled and cleaned thoroughly
    - all wires, switches and grounds appear to be correct
    - spraying carb cleaner into carb when cranking has no effect
    - turning the flywheel by hand feels like I have compression...easy for a bit and then harder as compression builds, then easy again

I'm leaning towards an engine issue but hesitate to tear into it without knowing what I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone out there has experienced something similar and can offer guidance. Many thanks!

Ian
    How old is your battery?

These engines can crank but lack sufficient reserve to function the ignition system. If you have a failing battery, it will be in a state discharge while the engine is running. The longer it runs, the further discharged the battery will become creating confusion because mentally, we think if it cranks, the battery must be good. Verify battery condition and move on to the ignition system since its not firing on carb cleaner.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian, the battery is from 2012, so - considering what you mentioned - I've swapped it for a new, fully-charged battery and it hasn't made a difference. When you say ignition system, can you give me a few more details?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks

Starting Fluid

Rather than using carb cleaner, try some starter fluid. If that does no good, try pouring a small amount of gas directly into the cylinder via the spark plug hole, reinsert the plug, and try cranking again. Make sure your choke isn't stuck in the closed position. Years ago I had an issue with my L120 and found I had a bad coil.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    Remove the valve cover at front of engine and see whats going on there. Common issue with rocker arm studs backing out or push rods disconnected.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

skeletor (05-21-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian, the battery is from 2012, so - considering what you mentioned - I've swapped it for a new, fully-charged battery and it hasn't made a difference. When you say ignition system, can you give me a few more details?
    Your next step is to verify it has spark. Spark testers are available from auto parts stores but you can do the same thing with an insulated screwdriver. Put the screwdriver in the spark plug boot touching the connector and put the shaft about 1/4 inch from the spark plug tip or any metal that goes to ground. You should see a clear spark jump that gap. Its possible you have a bad ignition module. A spark test would be my next movef ollowed by a compression test if the spark test passes. If the valve train is a known problem on your partcular engine series, pulling the valve cover(s) and watching function during cranking can clue you to an issue. It would also show up in a compression test. If you were getting backfiring and your battery wasn't the cause, engine timing is a strong possibility and your valve train is a good choice to examine.

Remember every engine needs 3 critical things to function. 1. Fuel 2. Air 3.Spark (diesels use compression to initiate spark) Remove any one item and you have a boat anchor.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks all, I have spark and since it's backfiring I'll pull the valve cover and see how things look.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Tonight's update:
    - checked coil for connectivity = good
    - pulled valve cover and hand cranked engine, everything is clean and functioning properly
    - tried cranking motor via battery and no change...crank crank crank puff crank crank crank POP crank...

Any more suggestions?

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Tonight's update:
    - checked coil for connectivity = good
    - pulled valve cover and hand cranked engine, everything is clean and functioning properly
    - tried cranking motor via battery and no change...crank crank crank puff crank crank crank POP crank...

Any more suggestions?
    Do the compression test. If that checks out I'd inspect the key that indexes the flywheel to the crankshaft. If the flywheel/crank are not lined up perfectly/correctly the engine will be "out of time". Meaning that the spark plug can fire at the wrong time. This would explain the backfire.

I have found a sheared key a few times over the years. My ex BIL gave me a STX38 because nobody could figure out why it wouldn't start. I suspect tractor was left outside with the hood open and the air cleaner removed. While whoever was trying to figure it out. Water got into the intake and the next time they cranked over the engine the key broke.
    The first no start problem ended up being a bad PTO switch. I suspect that the broken key came afterwards.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    A partially sheared key will make it pop but be out of time enough to not start. Try looking there.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast