Poor Rusty Mower - 54 inch on a 445

Thread: Poor Rusty Mower - 54 inch on a 445

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-14-2014 @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks

Poor Rusty Mower - 54 inch on a 445

Hello - New to the forum. Have 1999 JD 445 with 54 inch mower. Tractor is wonderful and looks and runs showroom new. Not the same for mower. Rust has been scraped off and repainted as well as I could over the years but now rusting through. Have looked at a replacement deck only but for only a few more dollars can get the whole mower with everything new. My local guy says weld it up again but I don't know, has been there before (to weld the front hooks on) and I'm getting tired of this.

Anybody have similar experience and advice on what to do?

Thanks,
    George

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    I have a '94 425 with 54" deck, I bought it new and the deck is as solid as new, only thing replaced so far is the deck belt. I've always cleaned the deck in the fall and mid season of mowing.i never wash the underside with water , just use a putty knife to clean.
    I have seen several decks lately on C.L. For sale not badly priced. People parting out 4x5 series tractors , but I'm not sure of deck condition
    I would say it all depends on how long you plan on keeping it , if long period of time I'd go new, if short term , used or weld,
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,872 Posts
    Welcome to GTT krellman.
    Not much you can do with rusted metal and have it hold for very long.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-14-2014 @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for Quick Responses

Probably should consider a used one - surprised they are out there in decent condition. I don't know what else I can do to make the next one last longer, I did take this one off at least once a month during mowing season to clean (it was always full of grass muck) and kept it in a garage over the winter.

Anybody out there have the smaller (48") mower? Maybe it's a little cheaper to get new?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I had a 1994 54" on a 425. Sold it last spring. Mower deck was still very solid. If the spindles and gearbox are still in excellent running condition, I'd just weld it up. Not worth the cost of a new deck IMO. A good used one if one could be found cheap might be OK. But cheap would be the critical point.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements