New mower time, looking for suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: New mower time, looking for suggestions.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-01-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks

New mower time, looking for suggestions.

Yo...! It's that time. I'm ready to purchase a new mower.

It's not realistic to get one for my 1025 as it would tear my yard up near the house, & not be very nimble in some of the tight spots. I love my TLB but, am quite content to keep mowing duties to another machine.

I'm trying to decide which way to go. I'm not interested in a zero turn, & have been looking at the E-170 yet, am trying to figure out if that makes the most sense or, if I should be looking at the X300 series, & S240.

I don't live in suburbia. I live in the mountains, & have mostly wooded property. However, I mow a couple acres of grass which is mostly smooth, & some minor hills. About an acre of it is around my house, & the rest I usually mow on high settings as the terrain isn't as "smooth" as around my house.

I would love to have the best everything but, as is the case for most of us, price does matter. I'm coming from a 2003ish big box green machine LA100 I believe. We don't get along anymore, & it left me stranded the other day lol. At the time, I needed a mower right now, this minute, & was broke. It was the cheapest one they had, & served me okay for 15yrs. It spent a lot of it's years in the elements.

My new machine will reside in it's own garden shed (built last fall), out of the elements.

Lowe's lists the E-170 for $2,399. I imagine a Memorial day sale will take some off. I also get another 10% as my wife is a Lowe's manager. Even with that said, I'm not opposed to buying from my JD dealer, especially if the cost is justified. I've been incredibly happy with my 1025 R purchase of Oct '16. What I've been able to do with that machine...... wow.

Anyways, just looking for some advice, some info, etc. Are the JD dealer supplied machines REALLY worth the money to just be a lawn mower...? I don't need any of the tractor features, got that covered. I just need a good reliable lawn mower for the next 20yrs.

Thoughts..?
    Last edited by Viper21; 05-22-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    Robnik likes this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

JD 647 Tiller / Frontier Box Blade / Frontier 5' Scraper Blade / JD 54" Snow Plow / Heavy Hitch / Ken's BOH / Rebuilt Brinly Plow / BXpanded BH Ripper / JD 8" BH Bucket/ Titan 42" Pallet Forks / Frontier 5' Landscape Rake

2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 XC Camo

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    IMO buy a 54" MMM for your 1025, there is no way I would buy a Big Box rider mowing 2 acres with a 1025 on your property. Remove the fel and BH and mow.

I've mowed my front yard, back yard, mow a cemetery, and a neighbors 2+ for close to 15 yrs using JD sub compacts.

Any rider will tear up your yard , or if plowing snow damage a driveway if you don't use caution. Even in 4wd you just have to take it easy making turns.

Your quote Anyways, just looking for some advice, some info, etc. Are the JD dealer supplied machines REALLY worth the money to just be a lawn mower...? I don't need any of the tractor features, got that covered. I just need a good reliable lawn mower for the next 20yrs.

You have it now your 1025
    Last edited by etcallhome; 05-22-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    darkrt, Robnik, Viper21 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    You're going to get a lot of varied opinions on this and I'll start by throwing out mine.

The current E1XX machines are just new versions of your old LA100. If you were happy with your LA100, then the E100 machines may be fine for you.

But if you really want something that will last 20-years, I'd look at the upper end of the X300-series machines. Because you have several acres to mow, I'd start with something like the X380 with a 54-inch deck.
    Robnik and Viper21 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I had a JD 285, 30" deck bought new in 1989. I wanted to upgrade. I made a want list. Liquid cooled. Power steering. AWS (All Wheel Steer) so many mixed reviews I wanted to try one for myself. Bigger deck. Diesel (if no more than $600 additional).

I like the high end JDs. Price was major concern now that I am retired and fixed income, so looked for used and continued to use the 285.

I looked mainly at x4XX series. I finally found a 500 hour x485 that looked great. Liquid cooled, PS, AWS, 62" deck. Everything but diesel. The diesels I was finding were either $1500 more for low hour units or $500-800 more, high hours and "well used/rough" condition.

11 months later the 285 was stolen from a locked garage. Walk door destroyed to gain entry.

I do not consider the Lowes JDs 20 year tractors
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    You're going to get a lot of varied opinions on this and I'll start by throwing out mine.

The current E1XX machines are just new versions of your old LA100. If you were happy with your LA100, then the E100 machines may be fine for you.

But if you really want something that will last 20-years, I'd look at the upper end of the X300-series machines. Because you have several acres to mow, I'd start with something like the X380 with a 54-inch deck.
    I hear what you're saying. Why is the X380 or x384 worth paying that much more money...? That's what I'm trying to understand.

The X384 looks like a great machine: https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn...-lawn-tractor/ Is it worth more than double the money though..? If so, why ? Seems like a lot of cash for a lawn mower. 4wd seems like a feature that would suit me well though...
    Robnik likes this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

JD 647 Tiller / Frontier Box Blade / Frontier 5' Scraper Blade / JD 54" Snow Plow / Heavy Hitch / Ken's BOH / Rebuilt Brinly Plow / BXpanded BH Ripper / JD 8" BH Bucket/ Titan 42" Pallet Forks / Frontier 5' Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
    I hear what you're saying. Why is the X380 or x384 worth paying that much more money...? That's what I'm trying to understand.

The X384 looks like a great machine: https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn...-lawn-tractor/ Is it worth more than double the money though..? If so, why ? Seems like a lot of cash for a lawn mower. 4wd seems like a feature that would suit me well though...
    Well, you get a much better frame and transmission for starters. The Kawasaki engines are also a better engine than the B&S engines in the E100 machines. It's still air cooled but... You also get a 4-year/300 hour warranty instead of the 2-year/120 hour warranty.

IMO, once you get to the mid-range X300 machines, you are stepping into a much better built machine. The quality of the components goes up exponentially.

I do have a question for you though. You mentioned "I don't need any of the tractor features, got that covered." Could any of the other equipment you have be setup with a mower to handle everything except the acre or so around your house? If you only rough cut the rest of it anyway maybe that's an option?
    Robnik likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, you get a much better frame and transmission for starters. The Kawasaki engines are also a better engine than the B&S engines in the E100 machines. It's still air cooled but... You also get a 4-year/300 hour warranty instead of the 2-year/120 hour warranty.

IMO, once you get to the mid-range X300 machines, you are stepping into a much better built machine. The quality of the components goes up exponentially.
    Hmm. I don't doubt that. I would certainly hope, & expect so for the investment required.

I do have a question for you though. You mentioned "I don't need any of the tractor features, got that covered." Could any of the other equipment you have be setup with a mower to handle everything except the acre or so around your house? If you only rough cut the rest of it anyway maybe that's an option?
    Yes. That is possible. I don't need the other areas of my property that get mowed, to be as "well groomed".
    Robnik likes this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    I am so happy with my rear finish mower, I could not imagine mowing with anything else,,
    on two acres,,,

I would never consider anything Lowes sells for more than 3/4 of an acre.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well.... I'm going to go look at them today
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Made it to my local JD dealer yesterday. Have to say, they've certainly got some nice lawn mowers ! For me, the 3xx series makes the most sense as I have the tractor stuff covered.

Out of the 3xx series, the one that caught my eye was the X384. $4,999 22hp Kawasaki, 48" cut, & the biggest bonus, the 4 wheel steering. That's a pretty cool feature. If my money trees would produce a little better, it would have been a no brainer, & I would have bought one on the spot. 5 grand is a lot of coin for a lawn mower imo.

I went to Lowe's & looked at the E170. $2,399 25hp B&S, 48" cut. Employee discount - $240. Current promotion, $250 rebate. Total price: $1,910 Starting tomorrow 5/24, 0% interest, 24 mos. same as cash.

I'd love to get the X384. I just can't convince myself it's worth 2 1/2 times the money for my needs. I'm going to go pick up an E170 tomorrow. I'm pretty confident it'll do what I need it to do, & for a considerable amount of time.

We'll see what happens
    JimR, Robnik and GWT3046r like this.
    2016 ~ 1025R TLB

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast