• 3 Post By rydplrs
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Hydrostatic Transmission?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-22-2018 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks

Hydrostatic Transmission?

I have a LA130 with about 400 hours, notice the tranny drive belt was loose/crack, called for service. First: Service by a John Deere dealer for new Tranny drive belt (on site), now problem in which it slows down after 30 mins. to the point it almost does not move, SO, Second: Next day it goes to the shop cause they said the tranny oil needed to be replaced/adjusted. Three: Comes home, moves for about 45 mins., the tranny really heats up. Forth: Now the dealer says I needed a new tranny. I'm up to almost $500 in repairs and it still working right. (I've had the JD dealer service guy here for the drive belt slipping off, after it was returned, damage to mower lever, I'm not a happy person)
    Question: What to do now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnie642 View Post
    Have a sit-down talk with the store manager.
    Tomfive, PaDave, rydplrs and 2 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    with those transmissions they do lose power when the fluid is to old or the internal filter is clogged. this must be fixed without delay or further use to avoid permanent damage.

when damaged the internal wear causes the symptoms to return, and the transmission generates excess heat as it tries and fails to pump the new fluid.

People have successfully repaired them, but I've never heard of a dealer do a rebuild, just a complete swap, you can contact tuff-torq directly. they do recommend synthetic 5w50 in the k-46 where deere recommends hygard. there is no power steering or hydraulic lift on the LA series, so you could have tried that, but I think yours is probably to far gone for switching fluids to add any life
    SulleyBear likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-22-2018 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Yup, only can use for short times, looking at new mower. JD dealer/service dept. did me wrong by trying to keep repairing it still. Did have a talk with the manager, will take my mower on trade, not buying a JD, payment plan with no interest is only for 9 months with payoff on end of 9. Or High interest rates for 24 months, adding about $900 to total.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks

Hydrostatic Transmission?

What’s the dealer offering for trade? That’s a $200 mower in my area retail if it looks good. The dealer may be giving you some of the bad investment back, but not in a way that admits fault.

It’s a rough time to be a mower buyer, in a month would atleast be past peak. An e110 would probably meet your needs even if the deck is 6” smaller. It’s $1700. $2000 gets a JD with 48deck. To get an equivalent from other manufacturers you are looking at similar prices. Most others are either MTD made or husqvarna/AYP made and differ only in appearance at price points. Deere and simplicity still make their own, and generally have the best parts and service availability.

One way to work the 0 apr deals to the max is to transfer any remaining balance to another credit source, from good bank loans, to poor credit cards that still remove the compounding interest on your equity when a 0% deal expires and isn’t paid in full.

I don’t work for JD or profit in any way, I just like tractors.
    Last edited by rydplrs; 05-22-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    BigJim55, flyweight and SulleyBear like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    I just did 12 for 0% on my 570.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnie642 View Post
    I have a LA130 with about 400 hours, notice the tranny drive belt was loose/crack, called for service. First: Service by a John Deere dealer for new Tranny drive belt (on site), now problem in which it slows down after 30 mins. to the point it almost does not move, SO, Second: Next day it goes to the shop cause they said the tranny oil needed to be replaced/adjusted. Three: Comes home, moves for about 45 mins., the tranny really heats up. Forth: Now the dealer says I needed a new tranny. I'm up to almost $500 in repairs and it still working right. (I've had the JD dealer service guy here for the drive belt slipping off, after it was returned, damage to mower lever, I'm not a happy person)
    Not to defend the dealer, but they are in a tough spot when dealing with equipment like the LA130. As rydrplrs said, it's value is quite low, so it's always a tough call to continue to try and fix or replace. Often, and I have done it myself, I try and keep something going too long and it ends up costing me more than simply replacing it.

The service department is in the business of repairing equipment. When someone calls and says "FIX", they make the effort to fix. A close friend of mine owns a small engine sales and service shop. His biggest source of headaches are working on machinery which is marginal. He hates to see people put good money into a machine which is failing on many fronts, but often, they want to just "get by" without spending the money on something else or new.

Finally, he has just stopped working on anything where the service is 50% of more of the equipment's value. He found himself in the same position you are and the customer is unhappy and he just did what he was asked to do. Now, he will just be upfront and tell people that he doesn't suggest putting the money into that piece of equipment, of course, there are people who don't want to hear that either.

Whatever you do, buy something with a SERVICING DEALER behind it. While the big box store might be a little cheaper or offer their store credit card, when you need it serviced or repaired, the big box store is likely not going to be able to help you like a servicing dealer would / could.
    rydplrs and BigJim55 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements