Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Tow-behind sprayer vs. click-n-go sprayer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:01 PM
    Thanks

Tow-behind sprayer vs. click-n-go sprayer

So with our new acreage purchase and moving in coming right up(June 28), I will have to spray the yard. I have been doing a little poking around on youtube and visited my servicing dealer, but I'm really torn on what to buy. The 25 gallon click-n-go seems like the best and most sense option. Don't wanna drag a trailer around if I don't have to. But, the booms on that 25 gallon sprayer look very flimsy I must say. Any insight from people that own these sprayers? My grandma has a cheapy 25 gallon tow-behind one that works reasonably well. And to be honest...I'm not sure 25 gallon would be enough. May have to move up to a 40 gallon one? New to the spraying weeds world here. I just put granular weed/feed down on my current city yard and spot spray weeds with my 2 gallon pumper.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    The booms on the 25-gallon mounted sprayer are made from steel flat bars. They seem plenty strong to me. The two end sections pivot so if you hit something they will just fold in. I like not having to maneuver a trailer around the yard. The only down side is you pretty much need to empty it before unmounting from the tractor. I hang mine on the garage wall when not in use.
    X748SE likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The booms on the 25-gallon mounted sprayer are made from steel flat bars. They seem plenty strong to me. The two end sections pivot so if you hit something they will just fold in. I like not having to maneuver a trailer around the yard. The only down side is you pretty much need to empty it before unmounting from the tractor. I hang mine on the garage wall when not in use.
    I agree about not having to maneuver a trailer as well. I do that with my MC542 system and it's kind of a pain(but holds a lot of material). Just not sure if the 25 gallons will be enough though for spraying 4+ acres for weeds.
    X748SE and PJR832 like this.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

check the label

Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    I agree about not having to maneuver a trailer as well. I do that with my MC542 system and it's kind of a pain(but holds a lot of material). Just not sure if the 25 gallons will be enough though for spraying 4+ acres for weeds.
    You might read the label of whatever products you are likely to be using on the yard. They will probably specify an amount of water per acre or possibly per 1,000 sq. feet. That will tell you if 25 gallons is enough. You don't want to go so big you consistently have a lot of material left in the tank. That means either dumping it- not desirable for ecological reasons, going over parts of the yard twice just to use it up- again that's not good or leaving it in the tank which is really not good and almost guarantees stopped up nozzles.

It's easier to mix two tankfuls than deal with extra material IMHO.

Treefarmer
    X748SE, Ray_PA, SulleyBear and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

356 (06-02-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    I bought this one a couple years ago from Northern Tool. Then, I bought a carrier from Harbor Freight and use a 2" hitch I installed on my tractor.

25 Gallon sprayer with a boomless spray nozzle. It works well for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5183013.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	620002

Name:	P5183012.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	620010

It sprays about a 15ft. pattern coming out of the single nozzle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...RoCi8IQAvD_BwE
    X748SE, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

Good&Green (05-27-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    I've had the same sprayer from Northern Tool for a couple of years now. Just used it to spray glyphosate on 15 acres. Works great and highly recommended.
    X748SE, BigJim55, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    JD 4066r with H180 Loader
    3rd SCV for Grapple
    Pat's Quick Hitch
    Brown 6'4" Disc Harrow
    Kodiak 5' Medium Duty Brush Cutter
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Numerous Other Misc. Attachments

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    I bought this one a couple years ago from Northern Tool. Then, I bought a carrier from Harbor Freight and use a 2" hitch I installed on my tractor.

25 Gallon sprayer with a boomless spray nozzle. It works well for me.

Name:	P5183013.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	620002

It sprays about a 15ft. pattern coming out of the single nozzle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...RoCi8IQAvD_BwE

I used a very similar sprayer mount for my 455, but since I didn't have the 3 point hitch, I put a rubber tired, caster wheel on the center of the back of the platform and let the platform weight ride on the tire. It worked just fine. The only thing you have to make sure is that you leave the pin out of the platform "PIVOT" so you can flip the platform vertically when not in use. For the set up I used, having the pin out of the hitch portion for the platform to pivot allows the rear of the spray rig platform to rise up and down as you go over hills or in and out of buildings, etc.

My set up even looked a lot like Ilmo's, except mine connected with the 2" hitch tube to the small receiver I mounted on the rear hitch of the tractor. You have to plan ahead to get the spray nozzles high enough to give you the coverage you want and need. The lower the sprayer is to the ground, the narrower the pattern is likely to be out of the spray nozzles.

While you can put the sprayer in a cart or trailer, it's not ideal for backing quickly or other such issues. It's best to have the sprayer following the tractor as you don't want to over treat an area while backing a trailer or the other issues which come with using a trailer instead of a set up which will follow the tractor like a 3 point hitch or the set up I used with the 2" hitch receiver.

For my new tractor, I went with Deere's Frontier 45 gallon sprayer without the booms. It works extremely well and I was very impressed with the quality of all of the parts and pieces. It sprays a real consistent 24' wide and with nothing sticking out from the sprayer. You can see the "spray bar" on the rear of the sprayer in the first photo.

I also really like the wireless remote for turning the sprayer on and off while operating the tractor. It's a small key fob and works great.

Name:	IMG_20180502_123808443.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	620018

Name:	IMG_20180502_115727038_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	620034

I really like the hand held spray head and hose set up. It's really good quality and it's handy for spraying the stone landscape areas and under the pine trees, etc. I use it to "Chemically edge" around retaining walls, trees, etc. to significantly reduce the string trimming. I am not a big fan of string trimming around trees as it can really tear up the bark on the stump and cause other issues, damaging the tree.

I have owned a couple of the Northern Tool Sprayers and they were good sprayers for the money.

As Tree Farmer mentioned, you don't want to over mix material and then end up dumping it, so it's easier to mix up a couple of tanks full verses having too much. Also, sprayers are used just a few times a year and they take up a fair amount of room to store in between use, so keep that in mind as well.

Make sure to fill your new sprayer with just water while you are checking the spray patterns and widths and trying it out for the first time. Not only is it safer, it's a great way to measure the results when you spray the water on pavement and you can keep making adjustment to get the sprayer function right where you want it. Also, it's better to waste just water than to have the chemicals mixed and then find out something isn't quite right and you have to make changes, etc. to the spray rig.

One of my neighbors bought a new sprayer for his Cub Cadet and had it all hooked up and filled with broad leaf spray and he couldn't get the pump to work. Turned out it was a defective pump, but it certainly would have been easier to deal with had the sprayer been full of water verses actual weed killer.

One last point, it's probably safest to either install a dedicated wiring harness directly to the battery on your tractor with a fuse right at the battery or use the alligator clip temporary harness which comes with the Northern Tool sprayers. Some of the pumps draw a lot of amps and you don't want to overload any of the electrical circuits on your new machine by trying to "splice in" and draw 12 volt from a circuit used for other things on your new machine.
    X748SE, tj1, Robnik and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    I Personally like the 3 point 40 gallon Fimco with the electric pump. It works great for me.

Now, it really depends on how many acres you have and how often you are going to spray.

I use mine for my lawn only which is about 3/4 acre of grass. I own about 1 1/2 acres but actual grass is only about 3/4 acre.

Trimec recommends 1 gallon of water mixed with Trimec per 1000 Sq. Ft. So, if you are spraying an acre (43,560 sq. ft.), you would need 43.5 gallons of mix.

Now realistically, carrying a sprayer larger than 40 gallons isn't practical on a small tractor. Water weighs 8.34 lb. per gallon. So, 40 gallons of water will weigh 334 lb. not counting the sprayer itself. This will most likely require front suitcase weights on your 7xx if you fill it.

I put 30 gallons in my 40 gallon sprayer. When spraying with my 1025R, I put some suitcase weights on the front. Now, my yard is a pretty steep hill.
    X748SE, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    sbronemann,

I would tend to go with a click-n-go or 3ph model of sprayer over a tow behind. I had a Hardi 30 gallon ES sprayer that was originally a tow-behind model.

Name:	P1040552a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	620066

I converted it to be a 3PH one and really like how it is now more compact and maneuverable. I was able re-rig it without cutting any of the hoses.

Name:	P1040595a.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	620074

It also takes less room to store.

Roger

Current Machine: 2012 X748SE, 60" 7-Iron Deck, 45 Loader, 54" Blower, Curtis Hard Cab
    Former Machines: JD 140 H3, JD 345,
    Ford 1710, Ferguson 2085
    YouTube Channel: --> X748SE

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X748SE View Post
    sbronemann,

I would tend to go with a click-n-go or 3ph model of sprayer over a tow behind. I had a Hardi 30 gallon ES sprayer that was originally a tow-behind model.

Name:	P1040552a.jpg 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	620066

I converted it to be a 3PH one and really like how it is now more compact and maneuverable. I was able re-rig it without cutting any of the hoses.

Name:	P1040595a.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	620074

It also takes less room to store.
    Ya, I think I may just get the click and go model from John Deere. They are a bit spendy, but what does John Deere have that isn't spendy?! Does that use the plug in the rear of the tractor or is there a harness that goes directly to the battery?
    BigJim55, gittyup and Fozsey like this.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast