• 2 Post By Nuke

Thread: Nuts/Bolt Removal-Drill Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks

Nuts/Bolt Removal-Drill Question

Hi guys,

So I have to do my 1st 50 hour service on the x758. I was going to also remove the deck while at it and sharpen the blades. They are new mulch blades I added only 8 hours ago, but when I look at the cut on the grass its a ragged cut making the grass have a yellow edge....So im wondering if they sold them not so sharp for liability reasons in which case I need to sharpen them.

I just had a question about removing nuts/bolts in general, whether its the blade from the deck, or the wheels from the tractor.

I have a Hilti Hammer Drill, can this be used to remove stubborn nuts/bolts?

Ive heard people say they use their hammer drill with impact socket adapters to set the correct torque, rather than the air driven impact wrenches....

Any thoughts? Because the Hilti Hammer Drill I have is a TE-7C, a good bit of kit, but I got it for drilling masonry, if I dont need to buy an air driven 1/2' impact torque wrench that would be a cheaper option....

Any thoughts from you mechanical gurus out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Hi guys,

So I have to do my 1st 50 hour service on the x758. I was going to also remove the deck while at it and sharpen the blades. They are new mulch blades I added only 8 hours ago, but when I look at the cut on the grass its a ragged cut making the grass have a yellow edge....So im wondering if they sold them not so sharp for liability reasons in which case I need to sharpen them.

I just had a question about removing nuts/bolts in general, whether its the blade from the deck, or the wheels from the tractor.

I have a Hilti Hammer Drill, can this be used to remove stubborn nuts/bolts?

Ive heard people say they use their hammer drill with impact socket adapters to set the correct torque, rather than the air driven impact wrenches....

Any thoughts? Because the Hilti Hammer Drill I have is a TE-7C, a good bit of kit, but I got it for drilling masonry, if I dont need to buy an air driven 1/2' impact torque wrench that would be a cheaper option....

Any thoughts from you mechanical gurus out there?
    Short answer is no unless it has an "impact wrench" function.
    Hamer driil beat the bit into the cement.
    Impact wrenches use a hammering effect in a circular motion/torque.
    I think the danger with any impact wrench is in tighten fasteners.
    I don't think you are any more likely to break a fastener removing it with an impact as you would with a wrench, breaker bar.
    While some impacts may have torque settings for tightening things, I would just snug with the impact and use a torque wrench for final torque.
    Just to be clear the hammer drill is not an impact wrench.
    Even if the TE-7C had the needed torque, it would be harder to hold than a 1/2" breaker bar because of the leverage advantage.
    Last edited by Nuke; 05-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    fdmars and Herminator like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure of your physical condition or if you are dealing with health issues but I have not felt the need to use anything but a 1/2 breaker bar to exchange blades.

The hammer drill as an impact is new to me. Interesting...
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Your hilti is great for hammering in concrete drills but is NOT the right tool for the job for removing bolts. You need an impact wrench, if you don't have one, go buy one. They are a VERY useful tool as they give a quick SNAP to loosen bolts. They will SAVE you from snapping off bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    Your hilti is great for hammering in concrete drills but is NOT the right tool for the job for removing bolts. You need an impact wrench, if you don't have one, go buy one. They are a VERY useful tool as they give a quick SNAP to loosen bolts. They will SAVE you from snapping off bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Agreed, even a cheap one is better than nothing.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Harbor freight sells a line of impacts that's pretty affordable. They however are not that great for daily use.

But as said before get a breaker bar on it. If that doesn't work get a pipe on the breaker bar.

Use your leg to shove on the breaker bar if you need to.

Also soak it down with pb blaster or wd40. Or a little heat on the nut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys84 View Post
    Harbor freight sells a line of impacts that's pretty affordable. They however are not that great for daily use.

But as said before get a breaker bar on it. If that doesn't work get a pipe on the breaker bar.

Use your leg to shove on the breaker bar if you need to.

Also soak it down with pb blaster or wd40. Or a little heat on the nut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    All great advice thanks guys.

Any tips for the first 50 hour service?
    Im at 36 hours wanted to do it a little early as its been over a year.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements