• 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Spark Plug Covered in Oil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:51 PM
    Thanks

Spark Plug Covered in Oil

Hey everyone,
    Iím having some trouble with my John Deere D-105. Iíve done some research but I havenít been able to figure out what the problem is. I was hoping someone here could help.

After cutting my yard yesterday I noticed oil was leaking out of the oil filter. I went ahead and replaced the filter and oil, started the tractor up and all was good. I tried to start it again and it wouldnít turn over. Since it was near the maintenance interval I replaced the air and fuel filter. No change. I then checked the spark plug and itís covered in oil. Cleaned it off, put it back in and no change. Took the plug back out and itís covered in oil again. It drips. My knowledge in this area is limited but I have a hunch that this isnít good. Does anyone have any insight for this? Thereís less than 100 hours on the tractor and Iíve kept up with the maintenance intervals.

Thanks in advanced.
    SulleyBear and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Hey there. Is your tractor still under the 24 month/120 hour warranty? I know you said your tractor has less than 100 hours on it, but you never said how old it is.
    Last edited by Jay26; 05-27-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    kylew likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Iím having some trouble with my John Deere D-105. Iíve done some research but I havenít been able to figure out what the problem is. I was hoping someone here could help.

After cutting my yard yesterday I noticed oil was leaking out of the oil filter. I went ahead and replaced the filter and oil, started the tractor up and all was good. I tried to start it again and it wouldnít turn over. Since it was near the maintenance interval I replaced the air and fuel filter. No change. I then checked the spark plug and itís covered in oil. Cleaned it off, put it back in and no change. Took the plug back out and itís covered in oil again. It drips. My knowledge in this area is limited but I have a hunch that this isnít good. Does anyone have any insight for this? Thereís less than 100 hours on the tractor and Iíve kept up with the maintenance intervals.

Thanks in advanced.
    It doesn't turn over??? Like doesn't crank?? Try cranking with the spark plug removed. If it cranks, you have a cylinder full of motor oil.

Was oil leaking from the filter at the base like it wasn't tight? What does the dipstick say about the current crankcase oil level?

Agreed that if under warranty you should let a dealer diagnose the problem.

Al
    kylew and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Please specify exactly what happens and what doesn't.

For example, when you turn the key to start it, does the engine crank over but not start? Or does NOTHING happen, no cranking over, no starting...(click, click)....?

HUGE DIFFERENCE in how to proceed.

I have a feeling you have overfilled the oil significantly.....Check the dipstick to see where the oil level is.......If it's above the full mark (which I have a feeling it is) you have an issue, potentially a serious one.....

But before we get ahead of ourselves, we need clarity on what its doing and not doing.....
    raco232, JD4044M and 1010 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:51 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry for taking so long to reply back. We just had a baby so I've been busy.

A friend came over and figured out the problem in less than 5 minutes. The choke was stuck to on. Once he pushed the choke thing forward it started right up. It looks like I lost a spring or something. I'm not sure if that's a replacement par I can order or not. I still need to look into it more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-1085.jpg

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Sorry for taking so long to reply back. We just had a baby so I've been busy.

A friend came over and figured out the problem in less than 5 minutes. The choke was stuck to on. Once he pushed the choke thing forward it started right up. It looks like I lost a spring or something. I'm not sure if that's a replacement par I can order or not. I still need to look into it more.
    Well, that's good news and also interesting. ARE you sure it was actually oil dripping from the plug or could it have been gasoline? A stuck choke would flood the cylinder with gasoline, but not with oil. Also gas usually will be evaporating as you take the plug out so it wouldn't have been "dripping" with gas, but is sure likely would have been "wet" with gas.......

Incidentally, that is the governor linkage you have circled in the photos, which happens to hook to the carb as that's the integral part of how the governor functions to avoid you over revving the engine and destroying it. Here is a link to the parts diagram which shows the linkage under the governor.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...79d510a2188599

Be VERY CAREFUL with making any changes to the governor. There are few things you can do which can have fatal consequences than to make changes to the governor, especially if it's not something you are familiar with. Dont let anyone talk you into "tweaking some more performance out of the tractor by adjusting the governor unless they know what they are doing. Yes, changing the governor will cause the engine to run faster, usually right up to the part where it grenades and becomes a boat anchor and cost you $1,500..............

Make sure to check the parts for your tractor by verifying your serial number on the machine because there is a difference. Very rarely does the governor spring come off or get lost unless someone is taking things apart. Carefully check the diagrams before making any changes. There could be other things which occurred to cause the carb linkage to be in that position.

Also, did you remedy the oil leak issue?

While I hope your issue is solved, something tells me there is going to be more to the story before this is over...........

Also, glad you replied back to let us know what you found. It's important in making these threads relevant for others. Thank you for following up.

Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-25-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added link
    Drifterbike likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements