Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Newbie- X758 1st Service + Annual Service in New England

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks

Exclamation Newbie- X758 1st Service + Annual Service in New England

Hi guys,

So although the x758 is only at 37 hours, I was going to do the 1st 50 hour service because the tractor was purchased fall 2016, and its been over the year threshold even though under 50 hours slightly.

So, I need some help because im not a mechanic by any means and would like to take care of this GT myself.

I was a little bit confused with the manual, they call the transaxle oil, and the hydraulic oil basically the same thing??
    So let me try firstly by saying what I am going to do

Engine Oil:
    Change engine oil (3.2L) and engine oil filter
    (store gave me 3 940ml bottles of 15W-40 JD Plus-50 II) but I am pretty sure in New England a 5W-40 or even a 0W-40 would be more ideal than 15W-40??) I will be using this for light mowing and snow removal in winter) So I was going to go with either 0W-40 or 5W-40...thoughts...?

Transaxle Oil Change:
    So I have the full-time 4WD system, so I got confused with the combined use of the term hydraulic oil at the front and transaxle oil in the rear, but it sounds like its a shared system so I was going to have on hand the Transaxle oil filter, and minimum 12L of John Deere Low Vis Hy-Gard J20D as per the manual it takes this oil and 11.8L of it.
    From the sounds of it if you dont change the front and rear together they will mix and contaminate the old and new so do both together.

Other Equipment:
    Buy two 2 Tonne jacks for the Front
    I already have a hydraulic jack to raise the front of the GT
    A skinny hydraulic funnel for filling the front hydraulic filler plug
    Oil containers
    Usual wrenches and oil filter wrench

Greasing:
    After the above I was going to grease all the grease points with the JD lithium grease I have and grease gun and clean the air screen

Coolant:
    I did notice the coolant is low when the GT is off and cold.....but no mention in the service schedule to fill this I think until 200+ hours.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated.
    I did buy a LG260 maintenance kit from Mutton Power, but it didn't have the correct oil, and an insufficient amount of oil, along with other parts that are not even advised to be changed like fuel filter, and new inner and outer air filters....

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Eire1916; 05-27-2018 at 07:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Hi guys,

So although the x758 is only at 37 hours, I was going to do the 1st 50 hour service because the tractor was purchased fall 2016, and its been over the year threshold even though under 50 hours slightly.

So, I need some help because im not a mechanic by any means and would like to take care of this GT myself.

I was a little bit confused with the manual, they call the transaxle oil, and the hydraulic oil basically the same thing??
    So let me try firstly by saying what I am going to do

Engine Oil:
    Change engine oil and engine oil filter
    (store gave me 15W-40 JD Plus-50 II) but I am pretty sure in New England a 5W-40 or even a 0W-40 would be more ideal than 15W-40??) I will be using this for light mowing and snow removal in winter) So I was going to go with either 0W-40 or 5W-40...thoughts...?

Transaxle Oil Change:
    So I have the full-time 4WD system, so I got confused with the combined use of the term hydraulic oil at the front and transaxle oil in the rear, but it sounds like its a shared system so I was going to have on hand the Transaxle oil filter, and minimum 12L of John Deere Low Vis Hy-Gard J20D as per the manual it takes this oil and 11.8L of it.
    From the sounds of it if you dont change the front and rear together they will mix and contaminate the old and new so do both together.

Other Equipment:
    Buy two 2 Tonne jacks for the Front
    I already have a hydraulic jack to raise the front of the GT
    A skinny hydraulic funnel for filling the front hydraulic filler plug
    Oil containers
    Usual wrenches and oil filter wrench

Greasing:
    After the above I was going to grease all the grease points with the JD lithium grease I have and grease gun and clean the air screen

Coolant:
    I did notice the coolant is low when the GT is off and cold.....but no mention in the service schedule to fill this I think until 200+ hours.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys!
    If it had Cool-Gard II in it(will be Yellow In color) Not Lime Green Then it is good for 6 years or 6000 Hours. When it's cold should be between the Low & High Line In the coolant overflow Tank
    Last edited by Sergeant; 05-27-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Well....Im glad I did my 50 hour service early, no transaxle oil in the rear, none detectible on the dipstick back there.
    There was some on the walls, I mean when you insert remove a few times youd get a drop somewhere but nothing on the dipstick....

Can someone clarify, it says at 50 hours change the transaxle oil and filter only (ie not the front hydraulic also). However with this screw up I found above I might just go ahead and do the front hydraulic oil change also, as its been over a year, even if not at 200 hours.

This is crazy, hard to believe they would let it leave the factory, and then the store like that and nothing picked up....just a word of warning for you all

Rear Wheel Torque:
    Are they just saying to make sure the rear wheel lug nuts are as tight as 65 lb/foot?
    (its in the manual to check)

Grease Points:
    Also, how many grease points are there on the front/mid/rear? The manual doesn't actually show them all.
    I can only find 4 total on the tractor itself. (2 on each front wheel)

Coolant:
    Yellow in color, but even when cold the coolant is BELOW the minimum line on the coolant tank
    Last edited by Eire1916; 05-28-2018 at 01:47 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

Well....Im glad I did my 50 hour service early, no transaxle oil in the rear, none detectible on the dipstick back there.
    There was some on the walls, I mean when you insert remove a few times youd get a drop somewhere but nothing on the dipstick....
    This is definitely concerning. Do you think that it was left unfilled, or filled incorrectly, from the service department that prepared the tractor? I wonder how long it's been empty. I will definitely check my levels when I take delivery of my x758.
    Last edited by Jay26; 05-28-2018 at 06:31 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 AM
    Thanks
    I know what I'm about to say some will flip out over but I change my engine oil every 50 hours which ends up being 2 times a year.Three quarts and a filter is cheap insurance to me.I use the 15w 40 year around.
    As far as grease fittings go one rule of thumb is to look for moving parts.ex.u joints,steering linkage,axle pivot.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Others who have recently purchased X7 tractors have been reporting that their transaxles were low on oil. Curious/sad that the dealers are not catching that before sending new machines out the door.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    The front and rear Trans is all in one (same oil ) you fill the front axle first then the back trans after the tractor is run a little it will be a little low . The front Axle has two hoses that run it (I comes from the back Axle) after an hour if you check the oil it will be low once the air is out of the lines . Normal for it to be low when new Mine took 8 oz to full

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    Yep I was one of them with an X739 that wasn't detectable on the stick. I filled a few weeks back and its low yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Others who have recently purchased X7 tractors have been reporting that their transaxles were low on oil. Curious/sad that the dealers are not catching that before sending new machines out the door.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:30 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    When the rear hydraulic fluid if not detectable on the stick, it is a LONG WAY from being empty.....

The dip sticks on these only measure the last quart or maybe quart and a half, tops.

So, when the dipstick is not showing any fluid, it's doesn't mean it's actually Empty. The tractor won't move without HYdro Oil.

As far as your questions about the motor oil the 15w 40 is good for summer use and the 5w or 10w is ideal for winter use.

Once you complete this first service, consider changing the oil in the spring after the winter use and in the fall, after mowing season. Oil changes are easy and inexpensive and you will be a pro at changing the oil by time we are done......

Now, what were your other questions?
    etcallhome likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    When the rear hydraulic fluid if not detectable on the stick, it is a LONG WAY from being empty.....

The dip sticks on these only measure the last quart or maybe quart and a half, tops.

So, when the dipstick is not showing any fluid, it's doesn't mean it's actually Empty. The tractor won't move without HYdro Oil.

As far as your questions about the motor oil the 15w 40 is good for summer use and the 5w or 10w is ideal for winter use.

Once you complete this first service, consider changing the oil in the spring after the winter use and in the fall, after mowing season. Oil changes are easy and inexpensive and you will be a pro at changing the oil by time we are done......

Now, what were your other questions?

X2

SulleyBear likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast