Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Cheap Seats?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-30-2018 @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks

Cheap Seats?

Hello everyone, I hope y'all had a great holiday! I bought a s240 last May and the seat is beginning to tear on the left side about half way between the front and rear. Anyone else seeing this problem? It has only 18 hours on it and i'm not a large person,5'8" and 180lbs. it is garage kept out of the sun. I bought the S240 over the "D" models because of the better seat and engine. I called the dealer that sold it to me and I'm waiting to hear from the service manager.My LX176 seat lasted 20+
    years....Why don't they make 'em like they used to?
    Gizmo2, Marlin, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Same here. My X500 seat started to crack with less than 100 hrs. and it is always stored indoors. I had it replaced under warranty but I don't expect the new one to last much longer. My previous tractor was a JD 175 Hydro and that seat lasted over 15 years before developing some cracks. The quality on the current seats is pathetic. Browse through Craigslist sometime and you will be amazed at the number of low hour JD tractors which have cracked and torn seats.

The good news is that a lot of the inexpensive replacement seats that you can get on Ebay are much higher quality than the original JD seat.
    Marlin, Robnik and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    If you watch how many people get on and off their tractors, they use one hand to steady themselves and they push on the top corner of the seat, especially when getting on the tractor. This is real common with the small tractors that don't have the ROPS to use as a handle for getting on and off the seat.

Personally, I keep a seat cover on all my seats as it keeps them clean and it will cover up any cracks which will likely develop. The seat covers actually have very handy storage pouches and pockets in them and that alone makes them worth the $$$$$$.

If you are looking at any replacement seats, measure your seats bolt pattern and take some pictures of it with your phone as most seats are sold with the "general application" designation. You will need to know the actual size of the hole spacing, etc to make sure it fits your machine.

You can get seats at TSC and I think even Harbor Freight is now carrying some seats. It's up to you to make sure they will fit as the "application charts" I have seen on many of the after market seats is clearly not accurate.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    I think the material dries out and causes it to crack and shrink. Maybe treat it with some kind of protectant once a month.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    I think the material dries out and causes it to crack and shrink. Maybe treat it with some kind of protectant once a month.
    Dries out in only 18 months of being stored in the garage? No... the seats on the newer JD lawn and garden tractors use much cheaper construction than seats of years past. The vinyl is very thin and fragile to begin with. The Ebay seats I've seen have material easily twice as thick. The vinyl seat on my 2720 uses much thicker material than this X500 seat.

Using a seat cover isn't the best solution either as the JD seat covers fit so poorly. I put one on my X500 after having the seat replaced under warranty and it fits so poorly that you slide all over the place. It's hard to stay on the tractor if on any degree of side slope. Of course the minute you slide around then the front corners of the cover comes loose and you have to stop and reattach it. I'm this -> <- close to just taking the darn cover back off, letting the seat last as long as it will and then looking for a decent 3rd party replacement seat.
    BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:48 AM
    Thanks
    Northern Tool has a large selection of seats. I don't know the quality but perhaps a place to look for replacements.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-30-2018 @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks
    Nice, I'm not going to replace it except under warranty. From the reply's so far, I get the feeling that everyone just accepts the fact that the seats are junk to begin with. I, myself find it hard to believe that a 22 hundred dollar lawn mower's seat is a throw away item and just chunk it and buy a new "better one". If the new warranty seat does the same thing, i might be inclined to think that way. What a shame only 18 hours!!!
    BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkaterle59 View Post
    Nice, I'm not going to replace it except under warranty. From the reply's so far, I get the feeling that everyone just accepts the fact that the seats are junk to begin with. I, myself find it hard to believe that a 22 hundred dollar lawn mower's seat is a throw away item and just chunk it and buy a new "better one". If the new warranty seat does the same thing, i might be inclined to think that way. What a shame only 18 hours!!!
    At 18 hrs. it should definitely be covered under warranty.
    BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    This isn't a new issue. My dad had 2 JD 110s a 112 and a 318 and all have suffered the dreaded JD seat disease. I put 3 on my 455 and the last is aftermarket from seat warehouse. Its a year old and so far so good. My tractors have never been left in the weather and the seats all failed.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

Using a seat cover isn't the best solution either as the JD seat covers fit so poorly. I put one on my X500 after having the seat replaced under warranty and it fits so poorly that you slide all over the place. It's hard to stay on the tractor if on any degree of side slope. Of course the minute you slide around then the front corners of the cover comes loose and you have to stop and reattach it. I'm this -> <- close to just taking the darn cover back off, letting the seat last as long as it will and then looking for a decent 3rd party replacement seat.
    This approach shown in the photo below sure solved the issues I marked in red.........Tiny bungee cords, stretched as shown. Seat cover stays right where it's supposed to.......188 hours and it hasn't moved.......And with the cab which changes your approach to the seat and my spinal fusions which eliminate a lot of flexibility, I "slide" onto the seat bottom every time I get on the seat in the 1025R. So if it was going to move, it would have.

The seat cover base even has eyelets on it to hook the bungee cords hooks through. Actually a well secured seat cover makes the seat LESS SLIPPERY than a seat without the seat cover. After all, it's blue jean material on seat cover cloth, verses the same on vinyl without the cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171025_132935107.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	621954

This is the seat cover used on the seats with arm rests, such as on the 1025R. The seat back requires Velcro to make it fit "correctly". My wife is a master seamstress and she took the seat cover and sewed velcro on it and she fitted it to the seat back. Like it was made for it when she was done.........Out of the box, it fits the seat like a JC Penneys men suit off the rack, sloppily....but it's on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171025_131331201.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	621962

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast