• 1 Post By Nowhere Man
  • 3 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: 425 interment no start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-12-2019 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks

Question 425 interment no start

the other day I went to start my tractor and it would not start. was getting spark but no fire. dumped a small amount of gas down the carb and ran off that. the next day I went to start it and it started right up. I was told the solenoid under the air filter could cause this. but since its interment its hard to track down. the local Deere dealer can get me that solenoid for 90 bucks and can't take it back. don't want to throw parts at it

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Two things that may seem elementary but #1 is verifying the battery is good and charged and the second is verifying fuel flow at the carb when the key is turned to on. You have an electric fuel pump in the tank. You should hear it run when you turn the key on. A weak battery can crank and lack the reserve to fire the coils correctly making you think its fuel related. Collapsing fuel lines or a collapsing sock in the tank can also simulate ignition issues. Start simple and verify correct function and work out from there. There are also electrical plugs on the right side that if saturated with oil leaking from the valve cover will reek havoc on the electrical system. Clean these and get some diaelectric grease to put in the connectors. This is preventative but may also solve an underlying issue you may not see.
    SulleyBear likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    The battery is fully charged and fine. Like I said it’s interment or only happened twice. All other times the tractor will crank right up. The engine was rebuilt the other year and all areas were clean and there is no oil leak. When you turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump come on and I can see fuel in the clear fuel filter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The next thing is the TDM (time delay module) If you've never replaced this, go get one. They are cheap and can cause exactly what you are describing. When they act up they will do some very very strange things that defy logic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-06-01_22.55.50.jpg  
    Last edited by Fozsey; 06-01-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    SulleyBear likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    What is the function of the TDM?
    1994 425 with 54 deck well over 1100 hours and the meter is broke

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    What is the function of the TDM?
    Its function is to maintain power when your ass gets bumped off the seat for a brief second or two. It's great when it works, not so much when it doesn't.

~Brian~

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    The previous owner disable that safety feature
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    The previous owner disable that safety feature
    He may have disabled the seat safety switch, but he didn't over ride the module.......Foszey is right. Replace the module.....

Also, the prior owners method of "disabling the switch" very well maybe your cause of intermittent starts. I would start there.

The seat safety switch can very well save your life or equally important, someone else's life. Personally, while many of the safety switches can be a hassle and seem unnecessary, the seat safety switch is one which should NEVER be overridden, in my opinion. After all, it's the one thing that will shut off the tractor should you fall off and very well could save your life. Plus, if you use the tractor like it's supposed to, the seat switch is really never an issue which becomes a problem.

Also clean the electrical contacts which Foszey mentioned in one of his earlier responses. Do the easy, low cost / no cost repairs FIRST to rule out such simple things. If it solves your problem it will also save you money.

The electric fuel pump in the tank could be starting to go bad as well. Generally, if that happens, if you are mowing on hills, you might notice it when mowing up a hill and are unlikely to notice it when mowing down the hill because of gravity feeding fuel to the engine. The fuel pump is also the fuel guage indicator and sometimes, but not always, you might notice your fuel guage is not working correctly when this part starts to fail.

Both the in tank fuel pump / gauge indicator and the electrical solenoid you originally mentioned are known to go bad. But usually, when they fail, they stop working and won't allow the tractor to start or stay running. But you should use an OHM meter and test them before just replacing them. They are both expensive and they both have easy ways to test them to make sure they are working.

You can chase such electrical gremlins and keep replacing parts for quite some time if you just keep "swapping them" out. That's why the dealership won't allow returns on electrical components as it's best to actually test the parts and determine if they are bad before just parts swapping.

Also, just be aware of the problems which this Ethanol blended gasoline can cause in engines with carbs. Even fuel which is just a couple of months old can cause the fuel system to be gummed up and work intermittently. It's advisable to run some good carb cleaner through the entire fuel system on a regular basis, like monthly.

It would probably be advised to run some Sea Foam through your fuel system via the fuel tank, to clean it up. at least a couple of times each year. Not only would it clean up much of the gunk, it would help to reduce the impact of the crystalized fuel that often happens with gasoline from the pumps these days because of the ethanol blend which decomposes and breaks down, making fuel system run poorly and be less reliable.
    DRobinson, johnH123 and Fozsey like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    when it doesn't want to start it acts more like fuel related problems then electrical. I have owned this tractor for three years now and this is the first time it showed signs of this problem. it will just try and crank but wont fire off and once it does it will either act like its starving for fuel or just run fine like there was no problem at all

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    I had a similar issue with my little Murray lawn tractor. The paper fuel filter wouldn't let fuel through for some reason, and it wouldn't start/would randomly die. Most of the time it would work, and then suddenly it would stop the flow. Very strange. anyway, I chucked it and installed a screen type and have had no more issues.

If you have one of these arnold paper element mower filters, try getting rid of it and see what happens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	037049954841.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	624954
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear