Anyone Later Add a Quick-Connect to Their Deck after purchase?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone Later Add a Quick-Connect to Their Deck after purchase?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks

Anyone Later Add a Quick-Connect to Their Deck after purchase?

Hi Guys,

So I thought the drive over deck connection on my x758 would be easy to connect and every time I do it it just doesnt go like the videos show it being a piece of cake.
    To be honest its a frustrating pain in the anus every time to deal with.Must take me 10-15 mins and pulling and pushing the deck around and stooping under the GT.....it drives me nuts

I just wanted to know, did any of you later add the quick connect for this reason?
    And if so, has it made the connection and disconnect way easier than the standard system? How much easier and 'Quick' is it?
    Any idea of part number and cost for my GT?
    Does it take long to install?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Hi Guys,

So I thought the drive over deck connection on my x758 would be easy to connect and every time I do it it just doesnt go like the videos show it being a piece of cake.
    To be honest its a frustrating pain in the anus every time to deal with.Must take me 10-15 mins and pulling and pushing the deck around and stooping under the GT.....it drives me nuts

I just wanted to know, did any of you later add the quick connect for this reason?
    And if so, has it made the connection and disconnect way easier than the standard system? How much easier and 'Quick' is it?
    Any idea of part number and cost for my GT?
    Does it take long to install?
    Let me give you some tips for making your current deck set up as easy and painless as possible to put under the machine and to remove it.

1. I always grease the PTO shaft on the TRACTOR before driving over the deck . It's a lot easier to slide the PTO shaft on the male splined shaft when it's greased and its easier to grease before the deck is in the way.
    2. ALWAYS do this on cement or another very hard LEVEL surface. Avoid doing it on the lawn. You will bust a nut or three trying to move the deck around on the lawn or other soft surface. This is the biggest mistake people make is doing this on a soft surface.

3. Position the deck PTO shaft straight over the rear of the center of the deck. This way it's ready to attach. Otherwise, it can get on the wrong side of the rear lift arms and cause you to partially start over.

4. On my tractor, which is an older model, I make sure the rear lift arms are all the way UP, out of the way. I always position and attach the FRONT deck bracket FIRST, as it will line up the rear lift arm attachment points and helps avoid all of the small sliding adjustments of the deck on the surface.

5. Once the front deck lift / mount bracket is secured, I then lower the rear lift arms and pin them in place. They should be almost perfectly aligned.

6. Once the mower is secured, then You may have to slightly rotate the PTO shaft to get the splines to like up. Remember, you can spin the shaft if you have the hand strength or simply reach under the deck and move the mower blade slightly. It won't take much.

7. Make sure to push the shaft on until it CLICKS and the shaft collar locks it in place. Then, tug on the shaft just to make sure it won't come off. The damage these can cause if they are not locked on and then slide off and flail around under the tractor is massive. I have seen them knock off the Hydro filter and even break the rear hydro drive case. That is something you never want to happen.

8. Some people like to attach the PTO shaft from the right side of the machine, some from the left and some even from under the rear. It's all a matter of if you are left handed, right handed and your preference. I find reaching under from the left side of the tractor is best for me, which means using my left arm and hand. Even though I am right handed, this approach works best for me.

9. Once this is attached, you should be good to go, raise and lower the deck a few times to make sure it is going up and down in the level position and as it should. Turn the PTO on and off and make sure it is engaging and the shaft is spinning. Then go mow............

No doubt it's a struggle the first few times. But after you get used to the system and use the short cuts which work for you, the process is much easier. I can put the deck on or remove it from my 455 diesel in about 5 to 7 minutes total and mine is NOT a drive over deck, so I have to slide the deck under the tractor and remove it by sliding it out, so it's a LOT harder.

But there were times when I cussed it up one wall and down another until I got the system down.

The key to the auto connect is having it installed and set up correctly. If that is done, then they tend to work very well. If it isn't set up correctly, there are threads and threads on this site about the headaches and frustrations........

The set up and installation details are the thread on this site. Read over them and see what you think.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-03-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: changed to reflect drive over deck info
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    The other thing to the auto connect is knowing it's quirks. Like sometimes the PTO coupler on the mower doesn't aim down the right way.
    I can drop and re hook my deck in less than a minute at this point on my X758... I watched my buddy struggle with it to the point he manually connected it lmao.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    When I owned the 1026r I added the auto connect PTO on the 60" deck, I didn't think it was that bad to add (except for the cost)
    Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Three years I had a X-750 with auto connect one big pain in the butt . The Lift arms would not go low enough to pick up the mounts on the deck . The fix was to turn the deck adjusters down three turns mount the deck then turn the adjusters back three turns . Then I never got the PTO to just go in . I traded for a newer x-758 an 60 inch deck with out the auto connect like it a lot .
    DRobinson and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    When I owned the 1026r I added the auto connect PTO on the 60" deck, I didn't think it was that bad to add (except for the cost)
    What was the time difference on deck removal and install compared to the non'quick-connect' original?

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    Three years I had a X-750 with auto connect one big pain in the butt . The Lift arms would not go low enough to pick up the mounts on the deck . The fix was to turn the deck adjusters down three turns mount the deck then turn the adjusters back three turns . Then I never got the PTO to just go in . I traded for a newer x-758 an 60 inch deck with out the auto connect like it a lot .[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greentractor.gif[/IMG]
    I’m taking delivery shortly of an x758 with the 54” HC deck with autoconnect. Your comment doesn’t make me feel confident.
    etcallhome likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay26 View Post
    I’m taking delivery shortly of an x758 with the 54” HC deck with autoconnect. Your comment doesn’t make me feel confident.
    Order it with the stripe kit and anything else you think youd want especially if under the 0% interest deal! Because everything after that requires a call out and its just a hassle and more expensive. I put a stripe kit on mine and I like it
    etcallhome likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay26 View Post
    Don't sweat it. From everything I read about the auto-connect, they work great, and save the back, and from getting wet.
    I'm not speaking from experience!! The key thing is getting it adjusted correctly. And hooking up and unhooking on flat level surfaces.
    I originally ordered my X739 with the 54HC Auto-Connect deck and they were not to be found in my area. Soonest I could get one was June 27th. NOT.
    I wanted in on the 0% interest, and I wanted the tractor now, so I decided to buy it without the A/C. Later I plan to purchase it and I'll install it myself.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Jay26 John Deere changed in 2017 now the lift arms will go lower and have more travel .
    My 2016 X-758 has a lot more travel in the lift arms but I still like manually removing and installing the drive shaft .
    But some guys are getting older and can not do it that way anymore ??
    etcallhome likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast