My dealer said my deck was all setup, leveled, and good to go. It wasn't...?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My dealer said my deck was all setup, leveled, and good to go. It wasn't...?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks

My dealer said my deck was all setup, leveled, and good to go. It wasn't...?

I had gotten an x380 this spring - already have a bunch of mows on it. When it was delivered, the guy said he had leveled the deck and had everything ready to mow on it. Ran me through some quick operation and showed me where the tools were if I ever remove the deck. Away we go...

Now, I thought the cut was great. I had been push mowing our property with an old...old... push mower for 2 years, so the cut was still better than what I had been doing before. For kicks, I decided to check the deck level....way off. At the deck leveling height indicated on the tractor, I couldn't even fit the gauge under the deck at all. I'd say roughly 1/4" low. Is there a different way they'd level the deck and not use the supplied gauge? or did they just forget?

...anywho, here's my tractor in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Px6IsIC0CY
    BigJim55 and flyweight like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
    At the deck leveling height indicated on the tractor, I couldn't even fit the gauge under the deck at all. I'd say roughly 1/4" low. Is there a different way they'd level the deck and not use the supplied gauge? or did they just forget?
    Could you fit the gauge under any of the check positions? There is a difference between being unlevel and the cut height being off. If the gauge was 1/4" low all the way around I'd say the deck was level but just "off" on the cut height.

Quite frankly 1/4" isn't much to worry about from a cut height accuracy standpoint. It's possible the tech used something like a socket or a block of wood that he keeps in his toolbox rather than the actual tool for two reasons. That way he doesn't risk forgetting to put the customer's tool back in the holder and it also prevents scuffing up the tool and making it looked used. You can use anything of a known height in place of the little chess piece that they give you.

I check the level on my X500 quite frequently and it seems it is always off at least 1/4" or so.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Could you fit the gauge under any of the check positions? There is a difference between being unlevel and the cut height being off. If the gauge was 1/4" low all the way around I'd say the deck was level but just "off" on the cut height.

Quite frankly 1/4" isn't much to worry about from a cut height accuracy standpoint. It's possible the tech used something like a socket or a block of wood that he keeps in his toolbox rather than the actual tool for two reasons. That way he doesn't risk forgetting to put the customer's tool back in the holder and it also prevents scuffing up the tool and making it looked used. You can use anything of a known height in place of the little chess piece that they give you.

I check the level on my X500 quite frequently and it seems it is always off at least 1/4" or so.
    I suppose that could be exactly true then. I didnt really pay attention to the level side to side/front to back other than that it was far too low to get the gauge in everywhere.
    BigJim55, Herminator and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    It takes a lot more time to get the deck height to match the the dial, then level the deck and not lose the height to dial match. If the deck was set up right as far as level I'd be satistified.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks
    There is a different type of leveling indicator that works in positions other than the "set level" height used with the height gauge provided with the mower. They probably used one that looks like a scale with a pointer attached at a pivot point whose far end actually touches the blade.

See this: https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-AM130907.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61hDEVqt3wL._SL1280_.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	625602
    Last edited by nikdfish; 06-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    In order to help much more info is needed What size Deck and What Tractor .
    I set my deck (also a 758) after the tractor was home . It was level but the settings off very common as it takes time to match level the cut setting .
    Zebrafive and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    I set my deck (also a 758) after the tractor was home . It was level but the settings off very common as it takes time to match level the cut setting .
    The first sentence says X380 so we know it's a 48 or 54" which have the same leveling procedure. Watching the video I'd say it is a 54" although it is tricky to tell given the video is sped up so much.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    I think you mow too fast......
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The first sentence says X380 so we know it's a 48 or 54" which have the same leveling procedure. Watching the video I'd say it is a 54" although it is tricky to tell given the video is sped up so much.
    It's a 48" deck!
    PJR832 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    It's an X380 w/ the 48" deck.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast