Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: x739 with ctc loader?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-08-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks

x739 with ctc loader?

has anyone put a ctc loader on a x739? is it even worth it? how would it compare to the loader of the 1025 as far as lifting capabilities? I need a mower and could really use a loader but I feel the 1025 is a bit too big and not for me. I have 1.5 acres mostly all grass that I mow with lots of things to cut around i really like the aws of the x739 for that reason. the tractors number 1 use will be mowing that's another reason i like it over the 1025 it will give a better cut. the loader will be used for light use i.e. stone , mulch , dirt etc. no digging. i have a 60" zero now and i hate it i guess im just old school and prefer a tractor.
    1940 JD B
    1974 JD 110

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    has anyone put a ctc loader on a x739? is it even worth it? how would it compare to the loader of the 1025 as far as lifting capabilities? I need a mower and could really use a loader but I feel the 1025 is a bit too big and not for me. I have 1.5 acres mostly all grass that I mow with lots of things to cut around i really like the aws of the x739 for that reason. the tractors number 1 use will be mowing that's another reason i like it over the 1025 it will give a better cut. the loader will be used for light use i.e. stone , mulch , dirt etc. no digging. i have a 60" zero now and i hate it i guess im just old school and prefer a tractor.
    If you're using it for light work, you might consider a little buck loader...

Front end loaders for John Deere tractors | Little Buck Loader

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay26 For This Useful Post:

scarecrow (06-07-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I looked at the 1023e and the x739 both side-by-side. I test drove both of them around all the others on the lot, as if mowing around obstacles. The x739 did it with ease. The 1023e needed lots of re-positioning. Since I was going to be using it for mainly mowing, I bought the x739. And I'm glad I did. The 4-wheel steer makes mowing go smoothly from start to finish. Now, like you, I'm looking into getting either the Little Bucket loader, or the CTC. I like the ergonomics of the Little Bucket Loader, but I don't think it would live up to my expectations considering the grade of steel they're made from given the price. At that point I decided to contact my dealer and ask if my putting the CTC Loader would nullify the warranty. He said absolutely not. But, he did state that if while using the CTC loader, and the front axle breaks from heavy load, it would not be covered by the warranty. Makes sense to me. At that point I sent an email to CTC to inquire of a loader to fit the 2018 x739. Rod got back in touch with me to confirm they do. For now, I'm going to hold off on ordering. Maybe next year.

Good topic
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boonie For This Useful Post:

scarecrow (06-07-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-20-2018 @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    . At that point I decided to contact my dealer and ask if my putting the CTC Loader would nullify the warranty. He said absolutely not. But, he did state that if while using the CTC loader, and the front axle breaks from heavy load, it would not be covered by the warranty.
    That's good to hear that the dealer did not automatically dismiss you due to the aftermarket loader. I am also interested in a future loader for light work (mulch, dirt, etc.). The CTC loader is pretty expensive, but people seem to like them. I think the little buck loader would fit the bill, but I am concerned about your post regarding the steel quality. I guess I'll revisit the topic in a couple years as I'm fine for now.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was just at my local dealership comparing the 2 and while they are similar in overall size the rear steer of the 739 puts that tractor at a major advantage for me. I was not able to test drive either of them which kinda sucked maybe over the weekend I will try other dealerships. for me and for what im looking to do I think the 739 with the ctc loader is the perfect setup. I did look into the other loaders for the 7 series while they are cheaper I think you get what you pay for in this case. the ctc loader looks like it is built much better and has a larger bucket. would still like to hear if someone has that setup.
    1940 JD B
    1974 JD 110

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that front axle is $3624.78
    gittyup and firemachine69 like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Let me start by saying everyone is going to be slightly biased for the route they went but part of that decision process is evaluating how you are going to use something so that may eliminate one solution from one person but not for another. I will try and be as unbiased as possible but this is how I evaluated my selection. It may differ from your use and selection. Same goes for others here.

Sit down, grab a tasty beverage because this will be long. Sorry...

I would ask CTC about specific fitment questions with your machine in particular.

I have a CTC on my X585 so I can comment on the overall usefulness of it. There are pros and cons with everything. You have to evaluate what you are trying to do with a FEL and determine if it will work in your use case.

In general there are a couple options.

John Deere 45 Series FEL - Discontinued but they pop up every now and then on the used market. Normally on a machine and if a machine has one most people are not willing to separate. You will likely have to do a custom mount for the pass through bracket on the frame. It has been done. I will leave it at that. It will be hard to find the FEL though.

CTC - probably the most available option since the 45 is a tough thing to find. Never used a 45 personally so I can't say for sure the differences in capabilities. There are a few things I will note a little further down.

Little Bucket Loader - Never really looked at them that hard.

Johnny Bucket I will provide a link for this one because the link for the Little Bucket was provided above and you must have the CTC link.

First off, using a FEL with a AWS tractor. My understanding is that JD officially never supported or allowed this. There is some inherit instability risks that a solid rear axle mitigates a bit which is part of the reasoning also the linkages which may or may not interfere depending on the option you went it. This isn't to say that putting a FEL on a AWS tractor will immediately cause it to flip over or that no one has ever done it. Just to point out that JD was a but deliberate in not offering it on AWS models. On that same note the X739 is AWD but they also have always said to use 4WD when using a FEL. This is in part because if you lifted too much which unloaded the rear tires you would loose the ability to steer or stop which could be dangerous on a slope. The X series machines do not have a ROPS for protection in the event of a roll over. This is a very real risk because the front axle pivots so if you tip forward, the load can start to roll the machine very quickly. So, assess what level of risk is acceptable and no matter the type of machine be sure to address ballast as a factor.

I would start this by assessing what your intent for a FEL is. For me I want to be able to lift things pretty high. For instance I put a generator on our camper quite a bit, I need a good 4' of lift height of a 150# generator. I also use it for moving things like my quick hitch with blade when I put it up on a shelf for storage in a building or my snow blower. That eliminated the Johnny Bucket. The Johnny Bucket might be fine for moving some mulch or dirt but doesn't have that lift height I need. I also lift pretty heavy stuff and even with a modified X585 I will max it out quite a bit hauling loads of dirt and other stuff. Based on how the weight is carried, I was hesitant on the design of the Little Bucket Loader. I am sure it works well for many people out there but I was concerned about how far forward the weight is carried. The CTC and 45 use a bar that passes through the frame to carry some of the weight in the middle of the machine. For me that had me focus on the discontinued 45 FEL or a CTC.

When we I first got the CTC there are some parts that need to be swapped. There is a pressure relief that needs to be changed out on the transaxle. This will require removing the fenders and fuel tank to get down to the top of the transaxle. As well as the bar that is used to freewheel the machine. It isn't hard work but it needs to be done. My understanding is that it protects the transaxle from pressure spikes if you are carrying a heavy load and lower the arms but stop before a the bucket hits the ground or something with the driveline. I don't remember exactly but don't run a 45 or CTC without doing this change or you run the risk of breaking something expensive that isn't covered under warranty. At that point in time I knew people were re-shimming the Implement Pressure Relief. May machine had an expired warranty anyhow so I should have done this change at the time but I didn't. It will likely void your warranty so keep that in mind. I thought I would try it with stock implement pressure and see how it worked. I wasn't happy with the CTC. If I had a full bucket of dirt it couldn't lift it. At that point in time I didn't worry about ballast all that much because it really couldn't lift much. I would say 200-300# but never actually put anything that I knew how much it weighed to rate it. Eventually I gave in and re-shimmed the implement pressure relief. The process is well documented and I think I went from 900 PSI to 1200 PSI. This was a night and day difference with the CTC. I went from not being able to pick up a bucket of dirt and not worrying about ballast to I fluid filled my back tires and use either a box blade or a heavy hitch with suitcase weights for ballast because it will lift the back wheels with ease. This is not only dangerous from a rollover and loss of control perspective but it also overloads the front axle and you run the risk of breaking it.

Other thoughts.

I found that while I liked the CTC, I didn't use it that much. Here is the problem. Most of my use is needing to move a heavy object. They may have changed the design a bit since I got mine but it will take 10-15 minutes by the time I would go down to where it was stored and put it on. From what I have seen in videos the 45 FEL goes on quicker. This of course also includes adding ballast. Well if I have the 3pt arms off it might even take longer. Then another 10 minutes to go and take it off. So it is going to take a minimum of 20 minutes of screwing around to put it on and take it off to move some heavy random object. I found I would often just go move it by hand. One might ask why I kept taking it off? I can have the mower and the FEL on at the same time which is very true. Here is the issue with that. First off my yard is has some grade to it and I mow a ditch. We also have quite a few trees. While you can mow with a FEL on the machine, it raises the center of gravity quite a bit. I have almost rolled my X585 a couple times trying to mow with a FEL on. The X has no ROPS as mentioned before, with all the weight it will kill you. With the 3pt/heavy hitch/suitcase weights and fluid filled tires my X585 weighs at least 1500#. Also it sticks out in front of the machine so far because the bucket doesn't come off the arms, that it is hard to get close to trees. So it adds a lot of time to mowing. Unless your ground it flat with few trees, you are better off taking it off. AWS might help with the trees. Not sure. I mow all the time. I don't use the FEL all the time. Because of the time to put it on I used the FEL even less unless it was a bigger project like cutting up a tree or turning the compost pile. The next issue is that the X Series only has two SCV levers. So, when you dump the bucket you also lower the mower deck and 3pt arms. This is kind of a pain. You can lock out the 3pt by turning the lower limit up (which is a PITA) and the same with the mower deck (not hard). This was always an issue in the compost pile. I could take off the mower deck but the auto-connect mower wasn't a thing back then.

I finally got to a decision point. The X585 had a few small issues. I didn't have time to work straight through them. At best it would be a couple weeks if nights and weekends to refresh it. Need it for mowing in the summer and can't predict snow in the winter far enough out to get by. I looked at other options and decided a new machine of some sort was in order. I really considered a 1 Series. It has ROPS for safety. You can get independent control over 3pt and other stuff. Auto-connect deck solves taking it off for compost pile work. The deal killer was at the time they only had the 3 bag collection system. I considered a X739 and keep the X585 for dedicated FEL work. I could get another quick hitch and put the blade on the X739 for plowing and blower on the X585 if needed but realistically that change over is pretty rare and easy. A X739 doesn't buy me much other than a dedicated mower and dedicated FEL. If that is how I am using it I am better off going with something else. So I went Z950R with the collection system. This sped up my mowing and gave me a much better collection system. A steel construction powerflow head vs plastic on the X and 1 series. Now that I have a dedicated FEL machine, I use it a lot more. This is a game changer now. Once the Z is paid off I will be looking at probably a 3 series. Let say that were to take place now, I would probably get a 3025E. I don't need mid PTO because I mow with the Z and would use a snow pusher on the FEL with a rear blower for rare use. That bumps me to full CAT 1 3pt and 1000# lift capability on the FEL from where I am at right now of around 500#.

Getting back to your questions. It will kind of depend on your use. I would personally probably go 1 series. It won't mow as well as a X but if you are looking at a new machine and a FEL I wouldn't mess with a X Series. While they can do FEL work, they really can't do that much without voiding the warranty by shimming the implement pressure relief. You still have other issues like being limited to 2 SCV and a hassle messing around with limiting motion on parts. You are going to have to address ballast and the best way is with a 3pt. On top of that the 1 Series will have a removable bucket so you can use other things like a grapple. By the time you get the FEL, 3pt and other stuff to make it work, you are probably going to find that a 1 series was a cheaper and easier solution that has a warranty. If shopping used market that changes things a bit. Some people have done H3 conversions to X machines. I considered it but in the end I am better off looking at something bigger. You just have to sit down and see how you use it. There are many people out there completely happy with a Johnny Bucket or Little Bucket Loaders. If you are only trying to retire a wheel burrow then they may be fine. A CTC or 45 FEL will do a lot more than that though. Not to slam the other products as I am sure people are happy with them and if it was a decision between nothing or one of the other options, I would probably go that route as well. It is just for me they might only cover 40% or less of my use cases.

Now a few points on my CTC. I have had some issues with it. Some of this may have been addressed with newer revisions. I think we have had it for 5-6 years now. Mine attaches with bolts that have been modified into pins. These can be tricky to align to the front of the frame where it attaches. That is why it takes longer to mount than a 45. It isn't a spring loaded pin like on a quick hitch. Though this design may have changed. At some point I managed to tweak the frame and bucket on mine. The frame I really don't know. There is about a 4" wide steel section I bent. I noticed this because I couldn't get the pins to align anymore. I heated it, used clamps to pull it back in line and welded on more steed to reinforce this part. I will add pics if I find them. I also bent to top edge of my bucket. I did this from having a hook on the bucket and from lifting stuff that is too heavy. I welded in a section of 1" black pipe that I had laying around after heating and beating the bucket back into shape. It is much stronger now. I have read of other strength comments on the CTC before but no details on what people have had to fix. Those are the only real issues I have had and with some scrap steel, a torch and welder I fixed them and painted stuff back up.

Kind of long but hope it helps.

Last edited by sennister; 06-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Boonie (06-07-2018), nastorino (06-08-2018), scarecrow (06-07-2018)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I looked at the 1023e and the x739 both side-by-side. I test drove both of them around all the others on the lot, as if mowing around obstacles. The x739 did it with ease. The 1023e needed lots of re-positioning. Since I was going to be using it for mainly mowing, I bought the x739. And I'm glad I did. The 4-wheel steer makes mowing go smoothly from start to finish. Now, like you, I'm looking into getting either the Little Bucket loader, or the CTC. I like the ergonomics of the Little Bucket Loader, but I don't think it would live up to my expectations considering the grade of steel they're made from given the price. At that point I decided to contact my dealer and ask if my putting the CTC Loader would nullify the warranty. He said absolutely not. But, he did state that if while using the CTC loader, and the front axle breaks from heavy load, it would not be covered by the warranty. Makes sense to me. At that point I sent an email to CTC to inquire of a loader to fit the 2018 x739. Rod got back in touch with me to confirm they do. For now, I'm going to hold off on ordering. Maybe next year.

Good topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay26 View Post
    That's good to hear that the dealer did not automatically dismiss you due to the aftermarket loader. I am also interested in a future loader for light work (mulch, dirt, etc.). The CTC loader is pretty expensive, but people seem to like them. I think the little buck loader would fit the bill, but I am concerned about your post regarding the steel quality. I guess I'll revisit the topic in a couple years as I'm fine for now.
    Keep in mind that while this is true, you won't void the warranty, I found the CTC very limiting unless you also re-shim the implement pressure relief. That will void your warranty at least on the transaxle which is also very expensive. I think the X739 also uses the K92 transaxle. I have read lots of stuff on this and it sounds like it can safely take 1500PSI. I went to about 1200PSI to stay safe and have been fine.

EDIT: per my signature I guess I went to 1175. Close enough to 1200.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Let me start by saying everyone is going to be slightly biased for the route they went but part of that decision process is evaluating how you are going to use something so that may eliminate one solution from one person but not for another. I will try and be as unbiased as possible but this is how I evaluated my selection. It may differ from your use and selection. Same goes for others here.

Sit down, grab a tasty beverage because this will be long. Sorry...

I would ask CTC about specific fitment questions with your machine in particular.

I have a CTC on my X585 so I can comment on the overall usefulness of it. There are pros and cons with everything. You have to evaluate what you are trying to do with a FEL and determine if it will work in your use case.

In general there are a couple options.

John Deere 45 Series FEL - Discontinued but they pop up every now and then on the used market. Normally on a machine and if a machine has one most people are not willing to separate. You will likely have to do a custom mount for the pass through bracket on the frame. It has been done. I will leave it at that. It will be hard to find the FEL though.

CTC - probably the most available option since the 45 is a tough thing to find. Never used a 45 personally so I can't say for sure the differences in capabilities. There are a few things I will note a little further down.

Little Bucket Loader - Never really looked at them that hard.

Johnny Bucket I will provide a link for this one because the link for the Little Bucket was provided above and you must have the CTC link.

First off, using a FEL with a AWS tractor. My understanding is that JD officially never supported or allowed this. There is some inherit instability risks that a solid rear axle mitigates a bit which is part of the reasoning also the linkages which may or may not interfere depending on the option you went it. This isn't to say that putting a FEL on a AWS tractor will immediately cause it to flip over or that no one has ever done it. Just to point out that JD was a but deliberate in not offering it on AWS models. On that same note the X739 is AWD but they also have always said to use 4WD when using a FEL. This is in part because if you lifted too much which unloaded the rear tires you would loose the ability to steer or stop which could be dangerous on a slope. The X series machines do not have a ROPS for protection in the event of a roll over. This is a very real risk because the front axle pivots so if you tip forward, the load can start to roll the machine very quickly. So, assess what level of risk is acceptable and no matter the type of machine be sure to address ballast as a factor.

I would start this by assessing what your intent for a FEL is. For me I want to be able to lift things pretty high. For instance I put a generator on our camper quite a bit, I need a good 4' of lift height of a 150# generator. I also use it for moving things like my quick hitch with blade when I put it up on a shelf for storage in a building or my snow blower. That eliminated the Johnny Bucket. The Johnny Bucket might be fine for moving some mulch or dirt but doesn't have that lift height I need. I also lift pretty heavy stuff and even with a modified X585 I will max it out quite a bit hauling loads of dirt and other stuff. Based on how the weight is carried, I was hesitant on the design of the Little Bucket Loader. I am sure it works well for many people out there but I was concerned about how far forward the weight is carried. The CTC and 45 use a bar that passes through the frame to carry some of the weight in the middle of the machine. For me that had me focus on the discontinued 45 FEL or a CTC.

When we I first got the CTC there are some parts that need to be swapped. There is a pressure relief that needs to be changed out on the transaxle. This will require removing the fenders and fuel tank to get down to the top of the transaxle. As well as the bar that is used to freewheel the machine. It isn't hard work but it needs to be done. My understanding is that it protects the transaxle from pressure spikes if you are carrying a heavy load and lower the arms but stop before a the bucket hits the ground or something with the driveline. I don't remember exactly but don't run a 45 or CTC without doing this change or you run the risk of breaking something expensive that isn't covered under warranty. At that point in time I knew people were re-shimming the Implement Pressure Relief. May machine had an expired warranty anyhow so I should have done this change at the time but I didn't. It will likely void your warranty so keep that in mind. I thought I would try it with stock implement pressure and see how it worked. I wasn't happy with the CTC. If I had a full bucket of dirt it couldn't lift it. At that point in time I didn't worry about ballast all that much because it really couldn't lift much. I would say 200-300# but never actually put anything that I knew how much it weighed to rate it. Eventually I gave in and re-shimmed the implement pressure relief. The process is well documented and I think I went from 900 PSI to 1200 PSI. This was a night and day difference with the CTC. I went from not being able to pick up a bucket of dirt and not worrying about ballast to I fluid filled my back tires and use either a box blade or a heavy hitch with suitcase weights for ballast because it will lift the back wheels with ease. This is not only dangerous from a rollover and loss of control perspective but it also overloads the front axle and you run the risk of breaking it.

Other thoughts.

I found that while I liked the CTC, I didn't use it that much. Here is the problem. Most of my use is needing to move a heavy object. They may have changed the design a bit since I got mine but it will take 10-15 minutes by the time I would go down to where it was stored and put it on. From what I have seen in videos the 45 FEL goes on quicker. This of course also includes adding ballast. Well if I have the 3pt arms off it might even take longer. Then another 10 minutes to go and take it off. So it is going to take a minimum of 20 minutes of screwing around to put it on and take it off to move some heavy random object. I found I would often just go move it by hand. One might ask why I kept taking it off? I can have the mower and the FEL on at the same time which is very true. Here is the issue with that. First off my yard is has some grade to it and I mow a ditch. We also have quite a few trees. While you can mow with a FEL on the machine, it raises the center of gravity quite a bit. I have almost rolled my X585 a couple times trying to mow with a FEL on. The X has no ROPS as mentioned before, with all the weight it will kill you. With the 3pt/heavy hitch/suitcase weights and fluid filled tires my X585 weighs at least 1500#. Also it sticks out in front of the machine so far because the bucket doesn't come off the arms, that it is hard to get close to trees. So it adds a lot of time to mowing. Unless your ground it flat with few trees, you are better off taking it off. AWS might help with the trees. Not sure. I mow all the time. I don't use the FEL all the time. Because of the time to put it on I used the FEL even less unless it was a bigger project like cutting up a tree or turning the compost pile. The next issue is that the X Series only has two SCV levers. So, when you dump the bucket you also lower the mower deck and 3pt arms. This is kind of a pain. You can lock out the 3pt by turning the lower limit up (which is a PITA) and the same with the mower deck (not hard). This was always an issue in the compost pile. I could take off the mower deck but the auto-connect mower wasn't a thing back then.

I finally got to a decision point. The X585 had a few small issues. I didn't have time to work straight through them. At best it would be a couple weeks if nights and weekends to refresh it. Need it for mowing in the summer and can't predict snow in the winter far enough out to get by. I looked at other options and decided a new machine of some sort was in order. I really considered a 1 Series. It has ROPS for safety. You can get independent control over 3pt and other stuff. Auto-connect deck solves taking it off for compost pile work. The deal killer was at the time they only had the 3 bag collection system. I considered a X739 and keep the X585 for dedicated FEL work. I could get another quick hitch and put the blade on the X739 for plowing and blower on the X585 if needed but realistically that change over is pretty rare and easy. A X739 doesn't buy me much other than a dedicated mower and dedicated FEL. If that is how I am using it I am better off going with something else. So I went Z950R with the collection system. This sped up my mowing and gave me a much better collection system. A steel construction powerflow head vs plastic on the X and 1 series. Now that I have a dedicated FEL machine, I use it a lot more. This is a game changer now. Once the Z is paid off I will be looking at probably a 3 series. Let say that were to take place now, I would probably get a 3025E. I don't need mid PTO because I mow with the Z and would use a snow pusher on the FEL with a rear blower for rare use. That bumps me to full CAT 1 3pt and 1000# lift capability on the FEL from where I am at right now of around 500#.

Getting back to your questions. It will kind of depend on your use. I would personally probably go 1 series. It won't mow as well as a X but if you are looking at a new machine and a FEL I wouldn't mess with a X Series. While they can do FEL work, they really can't do that much without voiding the warranty by shimming the implement pressure relief. You still have other issues like being limited to 2 SCV and a hassle messing around with limiting motion on parts. You are going to have to address ballast and the best way is with a 3pt. On top of that the 1 Series will have a removable bucket so you can use other things like a grapple. By the time you get the FEL, 3pt and other stuff to make it work, you are probably going to find that a 1 series was a cheaper and easier solution that has a warranty. If shopping used market that changes things a bit. Some people have done H3 conversions to X machines. I considered it but in the end I am better off looking at something bigger. You just have to sit down and see how you use it. There are many people out there completely happy with a Johnny Bucket or Little Bucket Loaders. If you are only trying to retire a wheel burrow then they may be fine. A CTC or 45 FEL will do a lot more than that though. Not to slam the other products as I am sure people are happy with them and if it was a decision between nothing or one of the other options, I would probably go that route as well. It is just for me they might only cover 40% or less of my use cases.

Now a few points on my CTC. I have had some issues with it. Some of this may have been addressed with newer revisions. I think we have had it for 5-6 years now. Mine attaches with bolts that have been modified into pins. These can be tricky to align to the front of the frame where it attaches. That is why it takes longer to mount than a 45. It isn't a spring loaded pin like on a quick hitch. Though this design may have changed. At some point I managed to tweak the frame and bucket on mine. The frame I really don't know. There is about a 4" wide steel section I bent. I noticed this because I couldn't get the pins to align anymore. I heated it, used clamps to pull it back in line and welded on more steed to reinforce this part. I will add pics if I find them. I also bent to top edge of my bucket. I did this from having a hook on the bucket and from lifting stuff that is too heavy. I welded in a section of 1" black pipe that I had laying around after heating and beating the bucket back into shape. It is much stronger now. I have read of other strength comments on the CTC before but no details on what people have had to fix. Those are the only real issues I have had and with some scrap steel, a torch and welder I fixed them and painted stuff back up.

Kind of long but hope it helps.

holy hell now that's a reply!!! thank you so much for taking the time to post that for me I found it to be VERY helpful and made me see things I did not realize. I really have no clue what im going to do now.
    1940 JD B
    1974 JD 110

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    holy hell now that's a reply!!! thank you so much for taking the time to post that for me I found it to be VERY helpful and made me see things I did not realize. I really have no clue what im going to do now.
    No problem. Let me know if you have any questions here or in PM.

There isn't a right answer. It took a while to write and there were more posts where some other stuff was clarified in how you will use it.

I am not dissapointed in the CTC in any way. I have had some minor issues but I fixed them as stated and they were not that big of a deal. But I wasn't happy with it when I initially ran it without the modified transaxle which is something to seriously consider if dealing with a new machine. My X585 is an 02 and if you are not familiar with it, they renumbered stuff a while back so it is equivalent to a X738 in today's numbering but with select 4wd rather than full time. Nothing like a current X5xx. So basically the same thing as a X739 but without 4ws.

For me it came down to limitations in mowing with it on, limitations to the X series in general in terms of 2 SCV and change over time to mount it and take it off. I think I read that they use a spring pin for the front attachment now which would speed the process. Not 100% sure though. I am relatively happy right now but I would like a bigger machine with full CAT 1 3pt and independent control over 3pt from dump on the bucket. I don't put the mower deck on anymore since it is retired form that. It would also be nice to have a quick attach on the FEL so I could go from bucket to grapple, snow pusher or other devices. For me if I had to live with one machine it would be a 1 Series. It is much easier to take the FEL off a 1 Series for the times you don't need it and put it back on for a quick job. They fixed the collection system now that they have a hopper. Of course it came out 6 months or so after I bought my Z950R. Overall I am still glad I went the way I did because I can go for a 3 series.

I don't think there are a lot of people here that actually have a CTC to speak for how they work. There are several people with the 45 FEL as well as some with the other two options.

JD X585, 54C deck,

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Boonie (06-07-2018), scarecrow (06-07-2018)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast