Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New x758 - Ticking/Rattling noise from steering area

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks

New x758 - Ticking/Rattling noise from steering area

Hi everyone -

I've been in the process of purchasing a new x758. The dealer came to my house to deliver the unit a few days ago, but we both realized that at extreme low idle (lowest possible setting), there was a loud ticking/rattling noise coming from the steering area. My dealer took the tractor back and had the service department look at the issue. They contacted Deere and they were told that it is a known issue with the steering valve, but no solution has been made and it does not affect the functionality of the tractor. The publication from Deere is dated September 2016 and I have attached the documentation to this thread. Here is a video of the ticking/rattling noise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq8lyZSVUqM

Has anyone here with any x7 series, especially the x758, experienced this sound? It is prevalent at extremely low idle when the steering wheel is not being manipulated. My dealer spoke with the regional Deere rep and they're willing to extend the warranty to 5 years as I've dealt with some delays, as well. They are confident this noise does not affect functionality of the tractor. If they order another x758 from Deere, there's no guarantee this noise wouldn't be there. I'm just trying to make a decision on what to do, but I'm leaning towards taking the extra year of warranty coverage and dealing with the noise at the lowest idle setting. I imagine that it's a rare occasion that the tractor is used at the lowest idle setting.

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2016 X-758 no noise yet at 178 hours . So far zero problems I mow 2 1/2 and do push snow but not a lot .

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    I have a 2016 X-758 no noise yet at 178 hours . So far zero problems I mow 2 1/2 and do push snow but not a lot .
    Thanks for the response. Have you checked the mower at idle with the throttle at the lowest setting? Were you able to view the video I posted? That’s what the tractor sounds like at idle with the throttle all the way down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Typically Deere will take care of you when a fix is available. Just make sure you are properly “on the record”, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-26-2018 @ 05:49 PM
    Thanks
    In response to your PM; Spent at least an hour at Idle this past month, wife driving me spraying from my tow behind 25gal sprayer. I also spent time at lowest rpm driving but did not notice anything unusual coming from the area you described. Let us know what you find out.
    Phil

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Typically Deere will take care of you when a fix is available. Just make sure you are properly “on the record”, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet.
    I appreciate the feedback. I think that if it ever became an issue with the functionality of the tractor, Deere would end up taking care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pcbunn View Post
    In response to your PM; Spent at least an hour at Idle this past month, wife driving me spraying from my tow behind 25gal sprayer. I also spent time at lowest rpm driving but did not notice anything unusual coming from the area you described. Let us know what you find out.
    Phil
    Thanks for the information!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    PaulB my 2017 X758 that I got in June of last year has this exact same thing going on since day one. It's the most annoying sound I've ever heard. .5hrs on the clock and I began to disassemble the whole center column and trying to lubricate everything with lithium grease like they did at the plant. I cannot determine where the rattle comes from or solve it. The only way to prevent it is to not leave the throttle at the lowest setting, I bump it up one level and then the rattle goes away. I rather have increased fuel consumption just to prevent hearing that sound on a $15k tractor...

I never called my dealer on it. I did read a few other threads and forums that it's common but no one has determined the true cause or resolution.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    If you do not call them , all of you, they are not going to figure it out !

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    PaulB my 2017 X758 that I got in June of last year has this exact same thing going on since day one. It's the most annoying sound I've ever heard. .5hrs on the clock and I began to disassemble the whole center column and trying to lubricate everything with lithium grease like they did at the plant. I cannot determine where the rattle comes from or solve it. The only way to prevent it is to not leave the throttle at the lowest setting, I bump it up one level and then the rattle goes away. I rather have increased fuel consumption just to prevent hearing that sound on a $15k tractor...

I never called my dealer on it. I did read a few other threads and forums that it's common but no one has determined the true cause or resolution.
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear the issue isn't isolated to my tractor, but would also like Deere to continue to pursue a resolution. The bulletin is from 2016 and there hasn't been a resolution yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    If you do not call them , all of you, they are not going to figure it out !
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. Without people reporting the issue in large numbers, I doubt Deere really has any motivation to find a resolution as it doesn't affect the functionality of the tractor.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    I listened to my x758 today when I started it up to mow. No noises other than the noisy diesel engine running. Guess I'm lucky.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast