Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What Mower should I buy?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

What Mower should I buy?

I have a JD 1025R tractor with the loader, quick connect deck , tiller, snow thrower etc. I love the 1025R, but the 1025R is heavy and tracks the yard some when you mow, so I want to buy a mower and just use the 1025 for the heavy stuff. This last year my father was injured in a accident and so I had to mow his yard for him for a while and he has a Grasshopper front mount mower. I've never been on it before, but I'm telling you that thing is awesome, it rides nice, mows nice and is so maneuverable. Plus the deck on the front just electronically flips up for easy cleaning and blade removal. I told myself, I want one of these, but I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should buy. The downside to the grasshopper is that it is about $12,000. I see the JD's and Ex mark mid mounts in the $6000-$8000 range and wondered if I should consider anything like that? I assume with the mid mount, I'm back to having to crawl under the mower to clean the deck and etc., correct? Let me know what you'd recommend. I have 2 1/2 acres. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Have a 1025R, but want a Grasshopper? Am I crazy!

OK, here's the scoop. Last Feb I traded in my old 445 for a new 1025R with the loader, 60" deck snow thrower etc. I absolutely love it! The 1025 does a decent job of mowing, but it is so heavy that it packs the grass down over time, so I have to keep changing directions or I start leaving tracks where the wheels go. Anyways, in Aug, My father was seriously injured in a accident, so I had to mow his yard for a while. I used his mower which is a front mount grasshopper. I had never been on one before, but that thing was amazing. It rode so smooth and was so maneuverable and the cut looked awesome. And then just push a button and the front deck just tilts right straight up to change the blades and clean it. After the first time I used it, I told myself that I wanted one of these. The bad thing is the cost of the new Grasshopper is about $12,000. I see all of these John Deere and X-marks in the $6000-$8000 range for the mid mounts, so I am wondering if I'd be as happy with one of those or if I should just bite the bullet and buy the grasshopper. Have any of you guys had much experience with mid mounts or the front mount grasshopper that you could tell me what I'd like or dislike about either. I was looking at a mid mount JD and some guy said , you don't want to compare a JD mid-mount to a Grasshopper front mount, if you've used the grasshopper front mount, you will never be as happy with the JD mid-mount. But he didn't get into detail as to why he said that. Could you guys give me some advice here as to your experiences with either style or brand? I'm thinking this would be a good time of year to make a good deal since it is winter time. I would like to have a mower just for doing a really nice job of mowing and keep the 1025 for all of the other stuff like tilling, snow blowing, loading stuff etc. . Thanks!

4. Top | #3
    EPP

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Had Dixie Chopper for about 14 years, just got 1025R, have also owned grasshopper. I WAY prefer to mow with Dixie Chopper.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts
    I can't compare the Grasshopper but.....

I had a Deere 757 along with my 2520. There is no comparison as far as mowing. The 757 lists for $10k though - don't know how the consumer grade zero turns are......in a perfect world I would still have both.
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    I merged the two threads. It's too confusing to have two of the same threads by the same member going on at once.

This is why you see 1025RGardner's two posts back to back as post #1 & #2.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-07-2015), Gizmo2 (01-07-2015), Kennyd (01-06-2015)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EPP View Post
    Had Dixie Chopper for about 14 years, just got 1025R, have also owned grasshopper. I WAY prefer to mow with Dixie Chopper.
    Is that a mid mount? What did you like so much about it?

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Do you want a zero turn? I am a tractor guy, gotta have a steering wheel to put my hands on. Perhaps a 4 wheel steer Deere x534 or similar would be worth considering. I know they are handy for mowing around obstacles, not sure what your requirements are though. Maybe some more info would be helpful for more input from others.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Do you want a zero turn? I am a tractor guy, gotta have a steering wheel to put my hands on. Perhaps a 4 wheel steer Deere x534 or similar would be worth considering. I know they are handy for mowing around obstacles, not sure what your requirements are though. Maybe some more info would be helpful for more input from others.
    I guess the main thing that I liked about Dad's Grasshopper was the smooth ride, great cut, manuverablity and a biggy for me was the front deck flipping straight up to clean and change blades. I'm getting older and hate handling a #500lb. mower deck anymore. Hope that helps. Thanks
    Levi likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Yes those Grasshoppers are slick, a friend uses one in his mowing business. Unless you want 2 tractors a ZTR is probably the way to go. I cannot offer you much help though in that department, but others should be along.....Have fun in your quest!
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast