Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Total LED Lamp conversion

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks

Total LED Lamp conversion

I'm normally a man who likes to keep it stock and factory original. When I purchased my X728 it was previously enjoyed by another. Which was perfect. I wanted to do and try things I would normally would not. Like I had a Cozy Cab installed on it. The machine already had some very minor scuffs in the paint so if the rubber seals scuffed it so, oh well.

Before I picked the X728 up, I also had the dealer install the larger alternator on it. I was concerned about the additional load on the electrical system with the 2-Speed heater blower motor, 2-speed wiper motor, 2-speed vent fan, and the dome light.

This summer I added four 3 watt amber emergency vehicle flashers. I programmed then and synchronized them to flash like the ones do on the corners of the roof of the real farm tractors. They look sweet and maybe I won't get pealed crossing town with the machine. I also installed a Pioneer radio that connects to my iPhone via bluetooth. Added two Kicker speakers. Very sweet. Then I decided that two 15 watt LED flood lamps mounted below the cab to shine under the snow thrower while transporting across town and to let me see 'behind' the headlights if you will.

So why not switch all the lighting (headlamps, back up and taillights) to LED? Reduce the total watt consumption of the electrical system to allow for the other accessories. Main reason of logic, the hood just does not open as easy with an aftermarket cab. And with the snow blower dangling off of the front, that's just more to work around to access the battery. As a side note, I did wire two 4 gage copper wires with the battery quick disconnect connector to the cab so in the event I need to charge it or boost it, I can do so calmly.

I found everything I needed at: superbrightleds.com. Except for the headlamps. The stock incandescent headlamps are a GE-894. They are widely used as driving/fog lamps in cars and headlamps in ATV's, tractors, etc. I found some in California and purchased them. Pretty Sweet at first. 7 watts each vs 38 watts each was a huge savings. Did not like them. While blowing the seasons first snow, they seem to make the snow flakes glow large and not penetrate through. Only used them 3 times and one is already burnt out. So the old lamps went back in today for the headlamps.

I found some CREE '50watt' LED replacements which actually draw 9 watts for $25 for the pair. Thinking I might give those a try.

Have anyone else experimented with LEDs? If so, whats your findings?
    mjncad likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 950 Posts
    Have anyone else experimented with LEDs? If so, whats your findings?
    Installed two 2150 lumen LED floods on the front of my 997 Z Trak and two 1200 lumen floods on the ROP.
    Got them from Northern Equipment, the 2150 Lumen ones were $80 a piece and the 1200 lumen ones
    came in a pack of two for $80 for both.
    Happy with them, very good coverage with the four.
    Pretty solid units with an aluminum housing.

The 2150's pull 1.98 amps at 27 watts a piece.
    The 1200's pull 1.28 amps at 18 watts a piece.
    Have the power bus for all of them fused at 7 amps.
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 01-08-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    mjncad and UnionSchnauzer like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I believe CREE is a brand of LED. Lots of higher end off road lights use them. Very nice. Usually kind of expensive, but well built.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    I believe CREE is a brand of LED. Lots of higher end off road lights use them. Very nice. Usually kind of expensive, but well built.

CREE makes the LED chips - the equal of a filament in an incandecent bulb.

Other manufacturer's then take those LED chips and make complete bulbs out of them. CREE doesn't make a complete automotive type bulb themselves (They do make some residential, commercial and industrial bulbs...)

Many people, myself included, consider CREE LEDs to be the industry "Gold Standard" for performance. That's why when other companies make bulbs with them, they advertise that point fairly heavily.
    Last edited by JimR; 01-08-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post
    I found some CREE '50watt' LED replacements which actually draw 9 watts for $25 for the pair. Thinking I might give those a try.

I'd recommend looking just a little bit deeper into those bulbs before you put your money out there. When they advertise that a bulb is a "50 watt" replacement, that doesn't really mean much.

Light output is measured in "Lumens" so see what the stock bulb is rated for as far as lumens goes and compare that to the ratings on any replacement.

My 2032R uses a standard "886" 50-watt halogen bulb for the headlights that is rated at 1,257 lumens. All of the cross-referenced LED replacements put out significantly less light. The highest rated replacement I could find is 750 lumens but most were in the 250-400 lumen range. So if I went with direct replacement LEDs I'd actually lose quite a bit of light output.
    Uncle Wayne and HydroHarold like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Thanks
    Pictures of your X728 Union...pictures please!
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry for the clutter. My garage is getting rather full. I wanted to get some video of the tractor in action while blowing snow. My queen doesn't mind the toys but wasn't about to stand in the cold to film me.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post

A 50 watt LED light would be putting out 4000ish lumems. For $25 for a pair? Like Jim said, something is wrong with that discription..

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    A 50 watt LED light would be putting out 4000ish lumems. For $25 for a pair? Like Jim said, something is wrong with that discription..

With his "50 watt" being in quotes I assumed he meant that they were advertising it as a "50 watt equivalent" i.e. the equal to a 50-watt incandescent - not that the LED bulb itself draws 50-watts.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-24-2016 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    If you happen to be out in the sleet/snow, be aware that LED's can ice (slush) over easily [my jeep headlights are LED from truck-lite.com].
    Then I have to find a place to stop and wipe them off.
    They are massively brighter than stock lamps, but no where near as bright as HID (which I only use off-road for a search).
    I never seem to go 'jeeping' in nice weather...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009.jpg  
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast