Lost hood on my GT 235 during transit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lost hood on my GT 235 during transit

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    01-16-2016 @ 05:53 PM
    Location
    caldwell idaho
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Lost hood on my GT 235 during transit

    My GT 235 which I bought in Oregon was being hauled to Idaho and a big wind gust in the Columbia River Gorge blew the hood off. That news did not make my day. Now I need to find a replacement hood which will not be fun or cheap. A new one can be bought off E-Bay located in New York for around $135 plus $35 delivery but would rather find a used one in decent shape for less. Any links to JD garden tractor wrecking yards out there? Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    T-Mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,670
    Thanks
    473
    Thanked 851 Times in 511 Posts
    It's always a good practice to secure hoods on tractors when transporting on an open trailer or in a bed of a truck. Using bungie straps or small ratchet straps do find. Just be sure not to get them too tight to where they may damage the hood. Also, never, I repeat, never load a tractor on a truck or trailer backwards. This almost always result in the air drag getting underneath the hood and lifting them. Always drive or load the tractor face forward, that provides better protection against air drag as you go down the highway.
    DRobinson, fdmars and Levi like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

    1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

  4. Top | #3
    fdmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Location
    Mid CT
    Posts
    2,054
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 207 Times in 149 Posts
    That stinks....
    Ebay and search tempest/craigslist would be my choices

    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If you had someone else hauling the tractor for you, they should stand the cost of replacement, IMO.

    T-Mo and Levi like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  7. Top | #5
    T-Mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,670
    Thanks
    473
    Thanked 851 Times in 511 Posts
    That price and shipping cost is pretty reasonable. I don't know if you will find one cheaper for that tractor.
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

    1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

  8. Top | #6
    RandyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Location
    Stoughton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,594
    Thanks
    1,047
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    That price and shipping cost is pretty reasonable. I don't know if you will find one cheaper for that tractor.
    Exactly what I was thinking. You be best getting it before someone else does.
    T-Mo, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

    2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

    The more I learn, the less I know.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

    T-Mo (01-10-2015)

  10. Top | #7
    Bonehead Club Lackey Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Location
    NE Tenn.
    Posts
    10,105
    Thanks
    2,968
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Good luck. Pics...
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

    Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    01-16-2016 @ 05:53 PM
    Location
    caldwell idaho
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I am not the one who hauled it..

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    It's always a good practice to secure hoods on tractors when transporting on an open trailer or in a bed of a truck. Using bungie straps or small ratchet straps do find. Just be sure not to get them too tight to where they may damage the hood. Also, never, I repeat, never load a tractor on a truck or trailer backwards. This almost always result in the air drag getting underneath the hood and lifting them. Always drive or load the tractor face forward, that provides better protection against air drag as you go down the highway.
    ..and the guy who did should know better since he hauls equipment back and forth between Seattle and Boise

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    01-16-2016 @ 05:53 PM
    Location
    caldwell idaho
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    More lost hood on GT 235 info

    Well, my poor GT 235 was delivered today and now I need to decide to buy a new hood or have the local sheet metal shop build one for me. I do not have a manual for this but would like to know if this particular model had a 2 piece hood, one for the sides and then one for the top? Any body out there own a GT 235?

    The guy who delivered it feels pretty bad about what happened and he knows a guy that has a lot of these types of garden tractors that he parts out and will try to find me a compatible top. If I bought a two piece side and top package it will cost over $500 and that is what I paid for the whole tractor including a JD tow behind sprayer and tilt wagon. It has a mower deck and I have an almost new 30" rototiller that is designed to fit this model. That is actually why I bought this model so it would fit the tiller I had.

    Ground is froze here and will be for another month so have some time to find used parts or have a sheet metal hood made for it. Any idea where I could get a manual for this model, do you think they could be downloaded from somewhere ? I doubt if the Dealer sells these since I think this is around 15 years old

  13. Top | #10
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,110
    Thanks
    4,936
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firehog View Post
    Well, my poor GT 235 was delivered today and now I need to decide to buy a new hood or have the local sheet metal shop build one for me. I do not have a manual for this but would like to know if this particular model had a 2 piece hood, one for the sides and then one for the top? Any body out there own a GT 235?

    The guy who delivered it feels pretty bad about what happened and he knows a guy that has a lot of these types of garden tractors that he parts out and will try to find me a compatible top. If I bought a two piece side and top package it will cost over $500 and that is what I paid for the whole tractor including a JD tow behind sprayer and tilt wagon. It has a mower deck and I have an almost new 30" rototiller that is designed to fit this model. That is actually why I bought this model so it would fit the tiller I had.

    Ground is froze here and will be for another month so have some time to find used parts or have a sheet metal hood made for it. Any idea where I could get a manual for this model, do you think they could be downloaded from somewhere ? I doubt if the Dealer sells these since I think this is around 15 years old
    FYI, I moved this post to the other thread you started-keeps continuity that way.

    I can't imagine having a shop make a hood would be cheaper than $170 new one you found on eBay, and certainly not be better looking.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •