Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 62C gauge wheel post stuck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

62C gauge wheel post stuck

After three years of lurking I picked up my first JD! I picked up a 2007 x744, with a 62C deck. I was working on getting the deck setup and found that two of the gauge wheel posts are stuck and I can't adjust the height of those two wheels. In general the deck is in great condition, the posts don't look bent or rusted. I put PB Blaster on the posts all day, blocked the deck up off the ground with some 2x4s and gave the posts several knocks with a 10lb sledge hammer. Now, I wasn't taking big swings, but those things won't move. I could try hitting them harder, but I'm not sure how hard I can hit them without causing bigger problems. Anyone know any tricks to get those posts freed up again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Soak them a few more times and try to pull the pins and twist them back and forth with a pipe wrench.
    Zebrafive, darkrt and Herminator like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good idea. I'd thought of twisting them, but not the pipe wrench for some reason. I figure those shafts are goners at this point so if they get chewed up by the wrench it won't be the end of the world.
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airjeff View Post
    Good idea. I'd thought of twisting them, but not the pipe wrench for some reason. I figure those shafts are goners at this point so if they get chewed up by the wrench it won't be the end of the world.
    I would try to find a long pin or something that will fit in the holes in the shaft to try twisting it. Maybe even a screwdriver? But a few days of soaking with penetrating oil will help for sure.

When I had to remove my steering wheel for the first time I soaked it 3 times a day for 5 days with Kroil before I even attempted getting it off - and it worked!
    Herminator likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    Are the pins moving to release the shafts?
    Herminator likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    The pins came out fine, one was stiff and full of grit but still came out. I took them off the deck until I free up the shafts so I don't need to mess with them. I'll keep dousing the shafts with PB blaster. It's times like this I wish I'd have just bitten the bullet and bought Kroil, I can't find it local and shipping was killer on it last time I looked. Kroil works 10 times better though! I did try the screwdriver idea, but it was just going to bend.
    coaltrain and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The pins came out fine, one was stiff and full of grit but still came out. I took them off the deck until I free up the shafts so I don't need to mess with them. I'll keep dousing the shafts with PB blaster. It's times like this I wish I'd have just bitten the bullet and bought Kroil, I can't find it local and shipping was killer on it last time I looked. Kroil works 10 times better though! I did try the screwdriver idea, but it was just going to bend.
    I bought a pair of the king size Kroil a few years ago with a special price. I savor it - only use it for stuff like you are working on. Still on my first can.

With lots of soaking with PBlaster and some patience I think you will get them eventually unless you have a source of heat. But then you will also be doing some painting.
    Herminator likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Rust and corrosion can be a real bear to deal with. I've seen a truck's 2" receiver hitch so rusted to the hitch insert that nothing would remove it. It's like welding something together. That said, I'm still surprised that with penetrating oil and a big hammer you couldn't even begin to budge it.

Rob
    Zebrafive, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm going to take a different approach when I get home. Up until now I've just been lowering the deck onto some wood and pounding. I'm going to pull the deck off and flip it over to put some PBlaster on the underside of the shafts. After it's soaked a while I'll flip it onto some cinderblocks or something else hard. That way the wood won't be absorbing any of the impact. If that doesn't work after a few days I'll either try my small torch or wait till the end of the season and deal with it then. The cut is still WAY better than the 42" craftsman it's replacing. :D
    Herminator likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm going to take a different approach when I get home. Up until now I've just been lowering the deck onto some wood and pounding. I'm going to pull the deck off and flip it over to put some PBlaster on the underside of the shafts. After it's soaked a while I'll flip it onto some cinderblocks or something else hard. That way the wood won't be absorbing any of the impact. If that doesn't work after a few days I'll either try my small torch or wait till the end of the season and deal with it then. The cut is still WAY better than the 42" craftsman it's replacing. :D
    Getting some penetrating oil in from the opposite side will really help.
    Zebrafive and Herminator like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast