Like Tree18Likes

Thread: x758 Reverse Pedal Play/Slop - Lack of Power

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks

x758 Reverse Pedal Play/Slop - Lack of Power

Hi everyone -

I'm still getting used to my new x758 and I wanted to run an issue by you folks. I was mowing the lawn today and doing some stuff around the driveway when I realized my revere pedal has a lot of play/slop in it. Also, it seems there is a lack of power when in reverse. The top listed speed for reverse is 6.0 mph. While I have no reason to move fast in reverse, it definitely feels like something is lacking. I also tried out the autoconnect feature today and it seemed like I had to really mash the reverse pedal to back over the deck.

Here is a video I uploaded showing the play/slop in the reverse pedal. Can you guys let me know if this is normal? I'm coming from an x590 and the reverse pedal never had that much play/slop in it. Is there a simple adjustment I can make? The reverse pedal seems to be much closer to the floor board than the accelerator.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/S1k0haiEZjw
    SulleyBear likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    never had a mower but on my compact tractor the two pedals are almost even. I would say you have something out of adjustment.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB324 View Post
    Hi everyone -

I'm still getting used to my new x758 and I wanted to run an issue by you folks. I was mowing the lawn today and doing some stuff around the driveway when I realized my revere pedal has a lot of play/slop in it. Also, it seems there is a lack of power when in reverse. The top listed speed for reverse is 6.0 mph. While I have no reason to move fast in reverse, it definitely feels like something is lacking. I also tried out the autoconnect feature today and it seemed like I had to really mash the reverse pedal to back over the deck.

Here is a video I uploaded showing the play/slop in the reverse pedal. Can you guys let me know if this is normal? I'm coming from an x590 and the reverse pedal never had that much play/slop in it. Is there a simple adjustment I can make? The reverse pedal seems to be much closer to the floor board than the accelerator.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/S1k0haiEZjw
    Try lifting the forward direction pedal with the toes of your right foot pulling it towards you, as on many of the tractors, the way the linkage is designed, it will actually make you back up. On my old tractor, this is how I can actually back faster.

It seems like something isn't right when i see the video. All of the "SLOP" in the lifting of the reverse pedal. I am going to go look at the linkage for your machine.......
    BigJim55 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

PaulB324 (06-11-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Here is the parts drawing......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

PaulB324 (06-11-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The older tractors were afflicted for years with a plastic reverse pedal which would BEND when pressed over time as the plastic would fatigue. This is a little different design that what I have worked with. I would need to see the linkage under the foot platform move when the pedals are being pressed.

Basically, at the rear end, you are rocking a directional pedal linkage, which determines which valve is depressed to indicated direction. Let me look at the linkage at the rear of the tractor on line and post that diagram.....

Item number 3 is the swash plate, which is what determines the direction in the rear of the tractor rear end. The pedals move the arm listed as number 12 in the illustration and forward and reverse are the same as the position of this arm. There is a shock absorber type device, AKA a torsional dampener #17, which provides the smoothness and consistent pedal pressure to make the motions smooth in all directions. Without actually seeing the linkage move under the foot platform, it's hard to determine what's wrong, if anything, but the "dead lift" on the reverse pedal seems inconsistent with how the pedals should feel and operate.
    BigJim55 and PaulB324 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

PaulB324 (06-11-2018)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Without actually seeing the linkage move under the foot platform, it's hard to determine what's wrong, if anything, but the "dead lift" on the reverse pedal seems inconsistent with how the pedals should feel and operate.
    Thanks, Sulley. I really appreciate the assistance! I sent an e-mail to my dealer with a link to the video. I asked him to get back to me after he reviews it. It doesn't make sense that this would be normal for the tractor.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It sure looks like based upon the linkage diagram for the actual pedals that lifting the reverse pedal should move the forward pedal towards the operator. The two pivot shafts, #19 and #21 seem to be shown linked in a way when the movement of one should also move the other.......

I almost wonder if bolt number 2 is missing.......it would seem like that should be the link between the two pivot shafts when lifting the reverse pedal. Again, it would be easier to actually see it function in person to see if something is missing............

Also, I doubt very much of the pedal set up is unique to the x758. I would imagine any of the x7xx tractors are all using the same pedal configuration and components and they should all function the same.

In fact I looked up x738, x749 and a couple of others and the same pedal components are in use on all.......which makes sense.

Paul here is the actual link to the parts diagram for the pedals, if you want to dig further and wander around in there.....

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...79d510a2188599
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-11-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added content and link
    BigJim55 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have a X-758 with close to 200 hours it works great you have something wrong .
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks
    I have an x485.

My reverse pedal is bent slightly towards the tractor (not perfectly level side to side, like the forward pedal). It is only slightly lower than the forward pedal, 1/4" max.

I can lift my reverse pedal with no effort about 2".

If I lift my forward pedal it only comes up about 1/4" and the reverse pedal drops a little.

Looking below the foot rest, I only see the two shafts the pedals connect to. I would have to remove my deck to see more.

So your reverse pedal is sitting too low. Maybe screw key 2 is not missing but very loose , since you have "some" reverse.

The only other thing I can think of is screw and nut 8 & 6 on lever 13 are loose, or screw and nut 7 & 4 on lever 13 are loose.

I am not sure the purpose of ball bearing key 11
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 06-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well everyone, along with your help and speaking with the dealer, we found the simple issue. The dealer was inspecting some unrelated issues and had to remove the pedals before delivery. It looks like they did not properly tighten nuts and bolts 7 & 4 on the diagram Sulley provided, and in turn this let the reverse pedal slide down and as a result of moving, not provide the proper travel distance for the pedal.

The dealer offered to come out and fix the problem, but since he's 30 miles away, I told him I would try it. It was very simple as I just loosened the bolts, shifted the reverse pedal up, and re-tightened everything. Hopefully it stays where it should!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast