mowing or picking up sticks
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: mowing or picking up sticks

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:31 PM
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    mowing or picking up sticks

    I spend far more time picking up sticks and branches than my body can handle each week that have fallen from old hickory, oak, and locust trees. Then I mow the lawn with an x758 and 455.

    I have never not picked up the sticks because I'm not sure what they'll do to the lawn if I let them be. Has anyone tried mowing them over? I'm afraid that the branches will smother the grass even after they're mowed over.

    Just wondering what others do with acres of tree branches and sticks in their lawn.

    Thanks.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    arlen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Location
    South East Minnesota
    Posts
    3,148
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 416 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by testerg View Post
    I spend far more time picking up sticks and branches than my body can handle each week that have fallen from old hickory, oak, and locust trees. Then I mow the lawn with an x758 and 455.

    I have never not picked up the sticks because I'm not sure what they'll do to the lawn if I let them be. Has anyone tried mowing them over? I'm afraid that the branches will smother the grass even after they're mowed over.

    Just wondering what others do with acres of tree branches and sticks in their lawn.

    Thanks.
    I pretty much mow over anything maybe 1 inch or less. They get mulched up pretty good!
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, North585 and 9 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

    X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

    JD 997 Zero Turn

    Farmall B

    2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

  4. Top | #3
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,827
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I pretty much mow over anything maybe 1 inch or less. They get mulched up pretty good!
    Same here.

    This spring was horrendous picking up sticks. Not only our normal over winter debris we had 2-3 violent thumderstorms in May. Each storm was like starting all over.

    I can pick up sticks for no more than 5 minutes until my hip goes out on me. It took me weeks on my 3 acres of mowed areas.

    This year I picked up even smaller than 1” stuff as it was my first year with a mulch kit. I was concerned about damaging the plastic baffles. But as time went on I started mowing over them with no issues.
    PaDave, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    JDSwan87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Location
    Temperance, MI
    Posts
    1,460
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked 258 Times in 172 Posts
    Let's just say my mower is a combo mower and wood chipper. I mow over anything 1" and smaller too. Just don't mow over gnarly branches, they like to get stuck on top of your deck and wear your belt.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  7. Top | #5
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,798
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    I use a grabber tool and never leave the seat on my x500 unless the limb is too large to pick up with the grabber (which is few and far between).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grabber.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	630082

    If we've had a bad storm I will attach my 17P cart and run around the yard grabbing sticks and limbs with my grabber tool and tossing them in the cart - never leaving the seat. After a typical wind storm I will literally FILL the 17P cart with sticks and debris.

    My grabber rides with me all the time in the utility bucket on my X500. Any sticks encountered during a routine mow get grabbed and tossed in the bucket which I empty when I am finished.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bucket3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	630090
    Last edited by jgayman; 06-12-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    North585, arlen, Zebrafive and 7 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  8. Top | #6
    Boonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Location
    Pacific Northwest Region
    Posts
    570
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
    I use my Thatcher. It does a good job of getting them intertwined in the tines. Of course my property has Cedar and Alder.
    When the tines get full, I raise it and clean them out. My method may not work for your type of branches.

    I've often thought about mounting a grooming rake in front, on wheels, on hydraulics.
    Last edited by Boonie; 06-12-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    North585, Levi, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

    TSC = The Village of Idiots

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Location
    Athens, TN
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
    I've got a 5' landscape/York rake that I mount on my 317. Each spring I drag that across my lawn...about an acre, but tooo much to bend over and pick up! I leave a "windrow" at one edge of my lawn and then drag that...after several attempts...to my burn pile.
    North585, Levi and Boonie like this.

  10. Top | #8
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,178
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked 599 Times in 525 Posts
    I am a compulsive stick picker-upper. Probably don't need to, but I do.
    arlen, 636mullet, Levi and 3 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  11. Top | #9
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,154
    Thanks
    3,005
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I use a grabber tool and never leave the seat on my x500 unless the limb is too large to pick up with the grabber (which is few and far between).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grabber.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	630082

    If we've had a bad storm I will attach my 17P cart and run around the yard grabbing sticks and limbs with my grabber tool and tossing them in the cart - never leaving the seat. After a typical wind storm I will literally FILL the 17P cart with sticks and debris.

    My grabber rides with me all the time in the utility bucket on my X500. Any sticks encountered during a routine mow get grabbed and tossed in the bucket which I empty when I am finished.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bucket3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	630090
    i have one of them grabbers to. i velcroed it fast to the fender on the x475-but i put in on mostly to pick Charley boy's play toys up so i could mow then. this spring has been so wet here--so i need all the help i can get, to help clean the deck out-so if a few sticks get ground up-well so be it
    Zebrafive, Levi and TJR345 like this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  12. Top | #10
    PJR832's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    11,154
    Thanks
    1,883
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Huh, I must be the odd one out, I pick up almost everything that I see.
    Zebrafive, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •