Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Spindle bearings missing seals on D110 deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

Spindle bearings missing seals on D110 deck

I am in the process of replacing the spindle bearings on my D110 mower deck. When I took them out, I noticed that the lower bearing (closest to the blade) was missing the seal on the inner surface of the bearing. Since they are supposed to be sealed bearings, they really shouldn't have to be greased. Is the missing seal and the zerk fitting to allow us to grease a normally "sealed" bearing? If so, then wouldn't the spindle have to have a significant amount of grease to keep it in contact with the bearing? That's a pretty big cavity to fill.

Seems to me to be a poor design. I've only got 34 hours on the tractor and the lower bearings are shot. The upper ones that are completely sealed are still in good shape.

Any advice as to whether I should remove the seal on the new bearings to match the removed ones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180614_114752.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    It depends on where the zerk and grease holes are in relation to the bearings. On my old 175 Hydro the grease came out the spindle between the two bearings. The original sealed bearings failed within the first season or so and when I replaced them I noticed they were sealed. So where was the grease going?

When I replaced the bearings I removed the two inner seals on the new bearings so they could accept grease. 20 years later and I was still running on the same set of spindle bearings.

Yes - it is critical that you put in enough grease to fill the spindle cavity. Once filled then it will only take a little bit of grease added to get pushed into the bearing.
    Herminator and ToddRM like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    Lower bearings are not sealed on the top. Top bearing is sealed top and bottom. That's why there is a zerk fitting, so the lower bearing can recieve grease.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Lower bearings are not sealed on the top. Top bearing is sealed top and bottom. That's why there is a zerk fitting, so the lower bearing can recieve grease.

Wouldn't you want to remove the bottom seal on the top bearing? Otherwise the top bearing isn't going to get any grease.
    Herminator likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    I have no idea why Deere did what they did.
    At one time there was a zerk and both bearings were sealed. Fitting was for a one time greasing from the factory.. Makes sense eh!

Herminator likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:30 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddRM View Post
    I am in the process of replacing the spindle bearings on my D110 mower deck. When I took them out, I noticed that the lower bearing (closest to the blade) was missing the seal on the inner surface of the bearing. Since they are supposed to be sealed bearings, they really shouldn't have to be greased. Is the missing seal and the zerk fitting to allow us to grease a normally "sealed" bearing? If so, then wouldn't the spindle have to have a significant amount of grease to keep it in contact with the bearing? That's a pretty big cavity to fill.

Seems to me to be a poor design. I've only got 34 hours on the tractor and the lower bearings are shot. The upper ones that are completely sealed are still in good shape.

Any advice as to whether I should remove the seal on the new bearings to match the removed ones?
    Are you still in your warranty period with the tractor with that few hours?
    Herminator likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddRM View Post
    I am in the process of replacing the spindle bearings on my D110 mower deck. Seems to me to be a poor design. I've only got 34 hours on the tractor and the lower bearings are shot. The upper ones that are completely sealed are still in good shape.
    Do you use the deck clean out port a lot that attaches to a garden hose?
    Drifterbike and Herminator like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (06-15-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Are you still in your warranty period with the tractor with that few hours?
    I think the warranty ran out last month. Besides, the nearest dealer is about an hour away and I have no way of getting it there.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Do you use the deck clean out port a lot that attaches to a garden hose?
    Nope. I don't cut wet grass so it stays pretty clean. I remove the deck to clean it when the grass starts building up.
    Last edited by ToddRM; 06-15-2018 at 08:17 AM.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It depends on where the zerk and grease holes are in relation to the bearings. On my old 175 Hydro the grease came out the spindle between the two bearings. The original sealed bearings failed within the first season or so and when I replaced them I noticed they were sealed. So where was the grease going?

When I replaced the bearings I removed the two inner seals on the new bearings so they could accept grease. 20 years later and I was still running on the same set of spindle bearings.

Yes - it is critical that you put in enough grease to fill the spindle cavity. Once filled then it will only take a little bit of grease added to get pushed into the bearing.
    Since the bearings are so inexpensive ($14.99 for pack of ten), I decided to do an experiment. On the one side, I left all the seals installed. On the other side, I removed the inner seal from the bottom bearing. I greased them both. I didn't bother with removing the inner seals from the upper bearings since they were in good shape, and unless the grease was under pressure, gravity would prevent it from getting into those bearings anyway. If one starts making noise, I'll remove them and inspect for wear. Might take a while though. Thanks for the replies!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast