SRX75 not starting

Thread: SRX75 not starting

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-10-2018 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks

SRX75 not starting

Hello all!

I am new to the forum and wanted to pose a question about the 1995 SRX75 that I just inherited. This is my first John Deere mower so I am a little unfamiliar with it. It has a 9 HP Kawasaki FC290V-FS10 motor.

I am having trouble getting it to start and stay running: it is a gravity fed fuel system (i think?) with a new fuel line and filter. Spark plug has spark, and I have taken apart the carburetor as much as I could and could not find any clogged jets or valves anywhere. If the motor is cold and the carburetor bowl empty, it will crank and run for about 60 seconds and then die. Then it will never crank again unless I pull the air filter off and pour starter fluid or seafoam into the carb to keep it running - so obviously it is a fuel delivery problem. But, like I said, I found no clogged passageways or jets in the carb, and even let it soak in gas for 2 days.

The needle valve under the float was not sticking before I took the carb apart or after I put it back together so I am stumped as to what the problem could be. The choke and governor both function as they should.

Any advice?

EDIT: Maybe I am wrong about the fuel system being gravity fed? Is there a fuel pump on this motor? I don't have a manual for it so I cannot be 100% sure. Anyone with a pdf copy of the manual please feel free to share!
    Last edited by auscarter12; 06-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Welcome to the GTT site.

A couple of questions.

1. Did you start with all new gas in the tank?

2. Did you check the fuel shut off valve to make sure fuel can flow and does flow through it?

Your machine does not have a fuel pump and it is gravity feed.

Also, the float level needs to be allowing the needle valve to open to fill the bowl on the carb to keep the machine running. Just because the needle valve wasnt plugged doesn't mean the float is allowing it to open. Is the float OK?

Here are the parts for your fuel system.

Here is the actual link to the parts system page.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Here is the carb components for your review.

By the way, the fuel shutoff is number 3 on the first diagram I posted in the reply above

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Some other basics to try, make sure to try and start and run the tractor with the fuel cap removed just in case the fuel cap vent is plugged.

Make sure the vent line on the carb is not plugged. It's number 4 on the carb diagram.

Make sure the fuel filter is installed to permit the fuel to flow thorough the filter. These should be a directional arrow on the filter.

I would agree that is sounds like a fuel delivery issue, the ethanol fuel which has been around for several years is very corrosive to fuel system parts.

Also, I noticed you mentioned "soaking parts in gasoline"......Use Carb cleaner, not gasoline as the gas could very well have ethanol in it which only aggravates the problem potentially.

Be careful with running the small engine directly on "Sea Foam". It's usually designed to be added to a fuel supply as a concentrate. So, while you can add some to the gas can, make sure to not be dumping Sea Foam into the engine to run it on that exclusively. Same with starting fluid. While its helpful to get something going, it can quickly destroy a small engine as well as it burns very hot and explosively........

1025R with Mauser Cab

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-10-2018 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the advice!

The fuel filter is on correctly, it has brand new gas in the tank and the tank had been flushed and run bone dry before fill up. The shut off valve is open, the vent hose on the carb is not plugged, the float is good in the carb.

I didn’t think about the gas cap vent, so I will check that next.

And you’re right about the sea foam, but that was just to reiterate the fact that it needs some form of manual fuel delivery to the carb in order to stay running.

Is there some sort of neutral cut out switch on these mowers?

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements