Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Questions about 425 and 445?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks

Questions about 425 and 445?

This is my 1st post. I have been lurking in the forums for years and acquired a lot of info from goggling. so its about time I got into the club!

Everyone claims that the motors are the same in a 425 and the 445 except, a carb on the 425 and EFI on the 445 with a gain of 2 HP. However, I looked at the operator's manual and it states in specifications that the 425 have 9.0 compression and the 445 has 10.3. So can someone explain to me what component(s) (cylinder heads, piston, or ect) offsets the compression difference between the two engines?

Also; what should a compression gauge show for good compression for the two engines?

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Unfortunately I don't have the answers, but before long someone will be along who does.....in the mean time welcome to GTT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy33 View Post
    This is my 1st post. I have been lurking in the forums for years and acquired a lot of info from goggling. so its about time I got into the club!

Everyone claims that the motors are the same in a 425 and the 445 except, a carb on the 425 and EFI on the 445 with a gain of 2 HP. However, I looked at the operator's manual and it states in specifications that the 425 have 9.0 compression and the 445 has 10.3. So can someone explain to me what component(s) (cylinder heads, piston, or ect) offsets the compression difference between the two engines?

Also; what should a compression gauge show for good compression for the two engines?

Thank you in advance.
    Welcome from West Virginia

Can't say what difference inside the engine, but I will say the big difference between the carb of the 425 was the rear tires are smaller I believe 10" wide and the 445 has the 12" wide. I owned a 425 about 12 or so years ago, and daughter fil bought a 445 the same time . He still has the 445 but only puts maybe 5-20 hrs a year on it plowing snow. Still runs great has over 650 hrs , I never had a chance to mow with his 445 to see how it ran compared to my 425, both had 54 " decks. I had all intentions of buying the 445 ,but a friend I went to high school with was shop foreman and he talked me into buying the 425.

Good luck on finding your info , sure someone can help you.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome from WV. One of the L&G experts should be along soon to answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-27-2015 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    The only internal difference of the 2 engines are the pistons.The carburetor engine pistons are dished on top and the injected version the pistons are flat on top resulting in the higher compression ratio.I believe the higher compression pistons are NLA,also the FI version of the 620 was a Deere exclusive engine not offered in any other brand tractor.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Thanks
    Can't speak for the 425 but in the 445 some of early model year engines came with a plastic cam gear that is known to fail in the 1000 hour range give or take.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 JD 1025R W/ R3 Tires...H120 Loader W/53" Bucket...60D Auto connect MMM...54" Front Snow Blower...iMatch...JD Ballast Box...Deluxe Brush Guard...Block Heater...42" Artillian JDQA Forks...more to follow!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for the welcome.

Thank you Junior. You just explained to me that if I go to Deere for new over sized pistons for a fresh engine, I won't see any performance increased with a bigger bore because of loss of compression. That also raises more questions of why Deere eliminated the performance pistons.

I'm still looking for compression numbers if anyone knows them.

BTW; I understood that both early 425 and 445 had plastic gears with the idea that they were quieter and became a failure.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, the 425 also had the plastic CAM. Mine failed at 998 hours.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    The 425 and 445 used the same engine along with some of the John Deere gators only difference with the gators were the heads, intake and crankshaft was tapered on a gator and not the L&G engines. Deere put plastic cams in all the early models which were later changed to the metal camshaft and most do fail around 1,000 hrs. I believe the only difference was the pistons the bore size was still the same. One thing to be cautious of is the water level when the water pump goes out it does not leak externally the weep hole is on the back side of the water pump which puts it directly into the oil (chocolate milk). I have owned a 445 and 425 I prefer the 445. I also have bought and fixed these tractors up to make a little extra cash on the side. I stand by this series, X400 series and now X700 series700 as I have or family has owned one of them. The tractors to me are the Cadillac of the L&G series. I also currently have a X485 listed for sale on here with rear pto and 3 point hitch.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    In a nutshell; I stripped the aluminum threads replacing the oil pressure sending unit. So as I was trying to repair that, I destroyed the block beyond repair. So I finally got another engine block. My plan is to simply swap all the parts from one engine to another with new; water pump, rings, push rods, valve springs, valve seals, governor gear, and a complete gasket kit. (Am I missing anything?) As I was looking and researching parts, I stumbled on the compression difference between the 425 and 445.

I first operated a 445 back in the 90's when my boss at the farm had one (now he has two). I remember it like yesterday when it was new and shinny and I was using it. The things that I struggled with this mower was; to put the thing in reverse, I had to lift my butt off the seat to get it to go backwards with the small nubby pedal. That caused the deck and or whole tractor to shut off.

I told my own father that I was gonna get a JD 445 with a 60" deck. Dad said "Any mower with a deck bigger than a 50" is no good. They don't mow right and 50" is all you need anyway". Well as Dad didn't know what he was talking about (at that time), he got on it and mowed with a smile on his face all day when I got it home! Then a couple weeks after that, my brother's mower went down, so he borrowed mine, and that made Dad frown for about 6 weeks. Then little brother quit working on his brand X mower and bought a 445. Then ole Dad got tired of it and he bought him self a fine 425 with a 60". Now that he has a 425 and looks at my 445, I surly believe that he wished he bought the 445. He is really looking at the 26X12-12 on mine!!!

Their are many stories around here that brag on these great mowers. Mostly how people use them as farm tractors more than lawn tractors.
    BigJim55 and jimbo9500 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast