• 1 Post By DRobinson
  • 1 Post By Pedals2Paddles

Thread: 425 new seat too high

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks

425 new seat too high

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1087_200591087 (fixed link)

I bought this seat to replace my old beat up 25 year old seat on the 425. It was the original seat from 1993, and the bolt holes were destroyed during removal, so there is no putting it back on now. This new seat is very comfortable! BUT this new seat is also way higher than the old seat. I had to slide it all the way forward, and still have to stretch to push the go pedal down. Since my feet aren't firmly planted on the floorboards, any bumps are transfered to the go pedal. It's not pleasant. It is mainly the front of the seat that is too high. The the seat kind of points up towards the front.

So I figured I would drill new holes for the "hinges" to lower it down a bit, but then it won't be able to pivot. It might work if I chop the top of the mounting brackets down a bit, but I don't know if I can cut that easily with the tools I have. Has anyone else dealt with this situation successfully?
    Last edited by Pedals2Paddles; 06-21-2018 at 06:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1087_200591087

I bought this seat to replace my old beat up 25 year old seat on the 425. It was the original seat from 1993, and the bolt holes were destroyed during removal, so there is no putting it back on now. This new seat is very comfortable! BUT this new seat is also way higher than the old seat. I had to slide it all the way forward, and still have to stretch to push the go pedal down. Since my feet aren't firmly planted on the floorboards, any bumps are transfered to the go pedal. It's not pleasant. It is mainly the front of the seat that is too high. The the seat kind of points up towards the front.

So I figured I would drill new holes for the "hinges" to lower it down a bit, but then it won't be able to pivot. It might work if I chop the top of the mounting brackets down a bit, but I don't know if I can cut that easily with the tools I have. Has anyone else dealt with this situation successfully?
    Welcome to GTT.

I replaced the seat on my 445 with a John Deere replacement. The link that you posted won't open for me. I am assuming that the 425 has a suspension seat like the 445, which is very comfortable. When I replaced mine, I priced an aftermarket seat and found that the JD seat cost less than the aftermarket.

Maybe a picture of yours would help someone to assist in your problem.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Fixed the link. Copied and pasted my post from another forum that doesn't as active as this one; guess it didn't copy correctly.

This seat looked more comfortable than the JD seats so I sprung for it. I have a feeling I may have created a lot of work for myself on this.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    Fixed the link. Copied and pasted my post from another forum that doesn't as active as this one; guess it didn't copy correctly.

This seat looked more comfortable than the JD seats so I sprung for it. I have a feeling I may have created a lot of work for myself on this.
    Now I can see it. You may have, as you said, created more work. It does look comfortable though. Good luck with it. Let us know how you make out.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements