Problem plagued x590. Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Problem plagued x590. Suggestions?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks

Problem plagued x590. Suggestions?

Hi all, been a while since I've posted and have some questions. I have a number of issues I'd like to share with you that my father has had on his x590 that he just bought brand new last year. He's owned Deere's since the early 80's and has had good luck with them, until this one. Now the dealer is giving him trouble with replacing the failing parts under warranty, so figured I'd come here for some support/ideas. The tractor only has 85 hours on it currently, I'll be ballparking the hours of each issue I'm about to list. Within the first 50 hours, he had the check engine light come on (this is the EFI gas engine) at the end of last season and the dealer picked it up to do the repair. (Apparently his owners manual only says "contact your dealer" when that light comes on.) They kept the machine all winter, finally bringing it back right when he needed to mow the first time this spring. He mowed with it for a few weeks and then had issues with it struggling to move intermittently, probably around 60-65 hours. He got off to check the transaxle oil and found it low, so he looked the machine over and found the entire underside of it covered in oil. Dealer picked it back up, ended up replacing the entire steering unit because some non-serviceable seal blew out around a shaft or something. He got it back, mowed for a few weeks, now yesterday that check engine light to have the dealer look at it just came back on again at 85 hours. And in between all of these issues, he's literally been melting the anti-scalp wheels off the pins. He's had 3 replaced under warranty and the dealer told him they woudln't replace any more because he must have the deck set wrong. He's been mowing with it the same way it was set up when he bought it and on the same deck height and anti-scalp wheel settings all while mowing the same property he's been mowing for almost 40 years and never had issues in the past. Needless to say, he's getting very frustrated and now worried what he's going to be dealing with when warranty runs out. Do you guys have any ideas, common problems with these to look for, etc? Thanks!
    Last edited by 6shooter; 06-26-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Wrong model # in original post

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks
    It looks like the x595 is the diesel model...

TractorData.com John Deere X595 tractor information

Are you sure he has the x595?

Either way, I hope all of the issues get sorted out.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB324 View Post
    It looks like the x595 is the diesel model...

TractorData.com John Deere X595 tractor information

Are you sure he has the x595?

Either way, I hope all of the issues get sorted out.
    Edited OP.

Good call, it is a 590, not a 595. Thanks Paul!
    Last edited by 6shooter; 06-26-2018 at 08:43 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,190 Posts
    I can't comment on the check engine light. Obviously the engine or electronics has some gremlins in it. They can be difficult to diagnose especially when intermittent.

The blown steering seal is unfortunately but those things do happen. If the seal was properly replaced I doubt he will have further problems.

As for the anti-scalp wheels. If they are getting damaged that quickly they almost have to be mis-adjusted. The decks on the X300 and X500 tractors have been using the same type of anti-scalp wheels for many many years and they haven't been a problem. I have the same wheels on my X500 and even after 5 years they show no wear at all. Since they won't get damaged from being too high, my guess is he has them adjusted too low and they are rubbing all the time. I keep mine adjusted so they are about two finger widths off the ground when on a flat level surface. I'm sure the operator's manual will give you a more technically accurate way of adjusting them.

Good luck.
    Zebrafive and Yank like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Tend to agree with jgayman On the Blown seal

I am even surprised they replace a anti-scalp wheel the first Time Because that is a Ware Item usually not covered By warranty to began with The anti-scalp wheel are supposed to run 1/4 Inch above the ground on Level Ground according to the owner Manual I actually run them a Bit Higher myself On all My Tractors Just tell Him to raise the anti-scalp wheel to a Higher setting if Not the Highest setting Because to me You father is Letting the anti-scalp wheel run On the ground and support the deck which they are currently not designed for. Some Pre-1992 Models or Older Deere decks were actually designed to run and Be supported By the anti-scalp wheel But Not today. They are designed to occasionally support the deck On UN-level ground to Prevent scalping But raising them should Prevent anymore ware Like He has been Having. The dealership Probably Only leveled it On concrete In the shop. But some times You have to adjust your ant-Scalp wheels On Your own.

My question when the check engine Light comes On what is the dealer telling Him That the diagnostics tell them is wrong. Next time have him find Out. and Have the dealer check with there Deere Rep Because it might be a Known Issue to Deere. But Deere doesn't always Put out Known issues to dealers for everything. They Just tell the dealer when the dealer contacts them
    Zebrafive, 69project and Yank like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Keep track of everything,being in NY we have the lemon law. There's only 2 dealers in our area,one I don't care for even though their close to me.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll try and get more specifics on the check engine light, but it sounded like even the literature was pretty non-descriptive on what it means and just said right off the bat to call the dealer.

The o-ring I understand happens, but his concern is if it happens again out of warranty, he's stuck replacing a $700-1000 steering/transaxle unit for a $.95 o-ring?

The scalp wheel's he's adjusted multiple times and they keep failing. After the first failure he adjusted them where they should be, had another fail. So for ****s and giggles he adjusted all 4 up as high as they'd go and then he still lost another one. His yard is very level and smooth, he mows on 2.5" height if i recall, and he mows it the same way he did with his last 3 Deere machines that had no problems. He's watched the wheels as he mows and said even as high as they can go, they're all still spinning most of the time just from the uncut grass brushing on them. Mine are moving all the time on my x758, never had an issue with them and I'm up over 200 hours on mine now.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    What on the guide wheel is failing/wearing out? The outside of it or the inner part that spins on an axle/shaft? Are his wheels greaseable? The last JD I had with a MMM had guide wheels that were greaseable.

Not much you can do about the expense of parts. Not much that is colored green is very cheap these days!
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    The o-ring I understand happens, but his concern is if it happens again out of warranty, he's stuck replacing a $700-1000 steering/transaxle unit for a $.95 o-ring?
    There's always a chance that you can find a 3rd party O-ring to fix the defective unit but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about something that isn't serviceable. It's the risk you take when you buy a tractor with a bunch of expensive hydraulics and electronics. That's one of the main reasons I went with a standard X500.

The scalp wheel's he's adjusted multiple times and they keep failing. After the first failure he adjusted them where they should be, had another fail. So for ****s and giggles he adjusted all 4 up as high as they'd go and then he still lost another one. His yard is very level and smooth, he mows on 2.5" height if i recall, and he mows it the same way he did with his last 3 Deere machines that had no problems. He's watched the wheels as he mows and said even as high as they can go, they're all still spinning most of the time just from the uncut grass brushing on them. Mine are moving all the time on my x758, never had an issue with them and I'm up over 200 hours on mine now.
    This still has me puzzled. My last tractor was a 175 Hydro and the anti-scalp wheels were still in good shape after 25 years. Even with them adjusted all the way up on a smooth yard he is still damaging them? I mean even if they are spinning a lot you are not mowing at 50 MPH. I would love to see some photos of the damaged wheels.

Even though the wheels aren't greaseable on these decks, if it is the axle hole that is wearing out I would be inclined to remove the bolt and give it a dab of waterproof grease or something. Your conditions have to be unique as I've just never heard of this happening so frequently.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    I'll try and get more specifics on the check engine light, but it sounded like even the literature was pretty non-descriptive on what it means and just said right off the bat to call the dealer.

Well I would say try them Up as High as they will go Then Mow at 3 or 3.5 Instead of 2.5 and Try it again for the same Number of hrs as the first failure
    Did the dealer Just replace the wheel itself? or Did He Replace the wheel & axle ? The axle (L shaped Part) could be Bad. or the Insert that the Axle fits Into the deck is Out of shape some How if the axle was replaced as well & not just the wheel
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast