62c blade tip speed.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: 62c blade tip speed.

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    62c blade tip speed.

    Has anyone ever read or done anything like this?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    mjncad and Robnik like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,267
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 605 Times in 531 Posts
    I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commerical mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit.
    mjncad, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  4. Top | #3
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanks
    3,035
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commercial mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit.
    Z5-u try itfirst. that would real nice if it works. i would go for it in a heartbeat if it does.

    on another note-Zebra5--i've wanted to ask ya for a bit since i changed oil in my x475-what darn size wrench are u using on the oil drain plug??? 10mm-11mm-11 seems a hair to big, 10 on the ratcheting one just won't fit it-at least i couldn't get it to slip on, didn't try a plain box end wrench. u kinda have to be a double jointed person just to get to that lousy drain nut.
    Last edited by BigJim55; 06-28-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Robnik likes this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,267
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 605 Times in 531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    Z5-u try itfirst. that would real nice if it works. i would go for it in a heartbeat if it does.

    on another note-Zebra5--i've wanted to ask ya for a bit since i changed oil in my x475-what darn size wrench are u using on the oil drain plug??? 10mm-11mm-11 seems a hair to big, 10 on the ratcheting one just won't fit it-at least i couldn't get it to slip on, didn't try a plain box end wrench. u kinda have to be a double jointed person just to get to that lousy drain nut.
    Send me the pulley and I try it. I hate taking the deck off, but for that I will. I bought lift to clean under it and change/sharpen the blades, just so I would not have to take it off and flip it over. It must weigh double what the 285's deck did

    Oil drain is 10mm. It is HARD to get to. My long gone 285 had the drain on the right side, very easy to get to and used a much larger wrench!
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commerical mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit.
    I was told that the same belt would work, no need to find a different belt. The larger pulley took up the little extra slack that was in the “factory setup.” I ordered the 54c drive pulley yesterday from John Deere. I think they told me it would be here today or Friday. I’m going to try it..... haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Zebrafive, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

  8. Top | #6
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanks
    3,035
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Send me the pulley and I try it. I hate taking the deck off, but for that I will. I bought lift to clean under it and change/sharpen the blades, just so I would not have to take it off and flip it over. It must weigh double what the 285's deck did

    Oil drain is 10mm. It is HARD to get to. My long gone 285 had the drain on the right side, very easy to get to and used a much larger wrench!
    Gboyet93 is going to try it with the new pulley-so ur out of luck as far as Ralph sending ya one to try my drain(oil) seems to have sprung a leak somehow my youngest boy loosened it for me and tightened it too. now it leaksi used a 10mm 3/8 socket to tighten it a bit more. slowed it down some. guess o-ring is badhate to shut it down right now--gonna order o-ring and the new drain to have on hand when i do stop it.

    so what do u use to loosen, tighten it? a ratchet wrench, a box wrench, the open end wrench, or a socket and ratchet??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gboyet93 View Post
    I was told that the same belt would work, no need to find a different belt. The larger pulley took up the little extra slack that was in the “factory setup.” I ordered the 54c drive pulley yesterday from John Deere. I think they told me it would be here today or Friday. I’m going to try it..... haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    we will be waiting the results-ok.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  9. Top | #7
    DRobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Posts
    10,647
    Thanks
    2,115
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    Gboyet93 is going to try it with the new pulley-so ur out of luck as far as Ralph sending ya one to try my drain(oil) seems to have sprung a leak somehow my youngest boy loosened it for me and tightened it too. now it leaksi used a 10mm 3/8 socket to tighten it a bit more. slowed it down some. guess o-ring is badhate to shut it down right now--gonna order o-ring and the new drain to have on hand when i do stop it.

    so what do u use to loosen, tighten it? a ratchet wrench, a box wrench, the open end wrench, or a socket and ratchet??

    we will be waiting the results-ok.
    Use your gimbal ratchet, Jim.
    Zebrafive, BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    Don

    2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    Gboyet93 is going to try it with the new pulley-so ur out of luck as far as Ralph sending ya one to try my drain(oil) seems to have sprung a leak somehow my youngest boy loosened it for me and tightened it too. now it leaksi used a 10mm 3/8 socket to tighten it a bit more. slowed it down some. guess o-ring is badhate to shut it down right now--gonna order o-ring and the new drain to have on hand when i do stop it.

    so what do u use to loosen, tighten it? a ratchet wrench, a box wrench, the open end wrench, or a socket and ratchet??

    we will be waiting the results-ok.
    I just called John Deere and they said the pulley did not arrive today, but would definitely arrive tomorrow. I already removed the deck, so the pulley swap should be fairly simple.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 likes this.

  11. Top | #9
    TJR345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Area 51 in Cambria,NY
    Posts
    3,774
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 480 Times in 371 Posts
    Never had a problem with cut quality.Been using G6 gator blades with the anti blow kit.Just wondering if you speed the deck up how it will effect the bearings.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

    2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

  12. Top | #10
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,267
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 605 Times in 531 Posts
    Just when i thought I got a free pulley out of BigJim somebody spoils it

    I use a ratcheting box wrench. Since I don't have a Gimbal Ratchet
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •