About the 4X5's battery clamp?

Thread: About the 4X5's battery clamp?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks

About the 4X5's battery clamp?

Does anyone have a good picture, or something to show me the proper way the battery gets clamped to the frame? I have something wrong, or not right some how, that the battery shakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldn't sweat it. I gave up on those things a long time ago. JD has some very excellent design elements, but that's not one of them. I just removed rods and turnbuckles. Battery stays put just fine without them. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly how they were supposed to work. But, I do remember that it seems like they were designed for specific battery packages (AKA JD batteries). They didn't work too well for me on the cheap Walmart batteries I had been using. I no longer own a 400 series either to look at.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. I gave up on those things a long time ago. JD has some very excellent design elements, but that's not one of them. I just removed rods and turnbuckles. Battery stays put just fine without them. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly how they were supposed to work. But, I do remember that it seems like they were designed for specific battery packages (AKA JD batteries). They didn't work too well for me on the cheap Walmart batteries I had been using. I no longer own a 400 series either to look at.
    For what it's worth, the 400 series was built around 1975- 1983. The 4x5 series was built around 92 -2003.
    These are much different tractors.
    As far as the battery hold down on the 4x5 series I would just adapt a rubber bungee . I have used several different battery manufacturers and have never had an issue using the original JD hold down bracket on my 1993 425, . I've used Carquest's , Farm & Fleet, and What ever they sell at Menards, and Battery's Plus. as long as I purchased a lawn and garden battery it fit fine.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    About 10 months ago, I sanded and repainted the rust off the battery floor plate. As predicted, its back to its original rusty state now from a leaking battery. This time, I replaced the angle bracket with a home built one from scrap stainless. However it still has a problem that it shakes and rocks back and fourth on the tractor, that causes the battery its self to leak and go bad. So I might find a way that I can remount it with vibration isolators in a battery tray or something.

BTW; The battery that went bad was John Deere's Strong Box.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy33 View Post
    About 10 months ago, I sanded and repainted the rust off the battery floor plate. As predicted, its back to its original rusty state now from a leaking battery. This time, I replaced the angle bracket with a home built one from scrap stainless. However it still has a problem that it shakes and rocks back and fourth on the tractor, that causes the battery its self to leak and go bad. So I might find a way that I can remount it with vibration isolators in a battery tray or something.

BTW; The battery that went bad was John Deere's Strong Box.
    I never had these problems. I know that, on mine, the positive terminal is tied down to where the battery can't really move once connected to that terminal. But, since you are having bouncy battery problems, I'd look at what is available after market. There are universal plastic trays and brackets of different sorts that can be purchased. What about a gel-filled battery? That shouldn't leak. There are also special coating made for battery trays, I think. And I use fluidfilm on my connections; never a spec of corrosion using that stuff.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Pictures of battery on 425
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	39120Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	39121Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	490.7 KB 
ID:	39122
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you "RED BADGER".

For the top angle bracket; is that the way it is suppose to be, or is that the way you had to do it for an aftermarket battery? I have the bracket so it covers the top and comes down on the back side.

I also have those rods backwards. I put the hooks on the bottom and the nuts with washers on top, "I don't think that matters at all".

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ii think you should try attaching the clamp per the pictures, I took a few minutes and changed mine , tried the hook on top the other way and tried the nuts on the top, the nuts on top wouldn't hold nothing, battery flopped like chicken with its head chopped off, neither would hold the battery correctly as the picture shows. The pictures show the exact way JD installed them. I've had this tractor since new and always installed the clamp as it came from JD. As you see in the pictures there is no rust or acid damage around or under the battery and that's since 1993. The battery is held solid.
    - Artillian Forks 42",

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I will try it that way. I looked at others and they were all butchered up with tarp straps or with anything at all.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements