Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: wits end...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks

wits end...

i have an 87 jd sx95 that for the life of me i can't get to running. previous owner said it would act up occasionally so he bought a new key switch for it. what he didn't tell me was that it looks like he may have been tapping on the starter with a hammer or something. nothing too hard but there are little dings on it here and there and he did make some reference about the starter that i don't recall. i have done every test in the manual a couple of times but all i can get out of it is a faint clicking of the solenoid. the original solenoid was on the iffy side so i got a nos one that bench tested great. mounted to the starter they both test good. can the starter still be bad even when it turns like crazy on the bench? i have turned the flywheel slightly in case there was a flat or dead spot on it but still not it. the only thing i haven't done is no-load test the starter because i don't have the equipment. all the other switches etc., have checked out as being good. i'm pulling 12 at the key terminal on the solenoid. any rabbits you could pull out of your hats for me?

thanks, steve
    Robnik and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    You need to clean the battery terminals.
    arlen, posi, Levi and 2 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sroysr View Post
    i have an 87 jd sx95 that for the life of me i can't get to running. previous owner said it would act up occasionally so he bought a new key switch for it. what he didn't tell me was that it looks like he may have been tapping on the starter with a hammer or something. nothing too hard but there are little dings on it here and there and he did make some reference about the starter that i don't recall. i have done every test in the manual a couple of times but all i can get out of it is a faint clicking of the solenoid. the original solenoid was on the iffy side so i got a nos one that bench tested great. mounted to the starter they both test good. can the starter still be bad even when it turns like crazy on the bench? i have turned the flywheel slightly in case there was a flat or dead spot on it but still not it. the only thing i haven't done is no-load test the starter because i don't have the equipment. all the other switches etc., have checked out as being good. i'm pulling 12 at the key terminal on the solenoid. any rabbits you could pull out of your hats for me?

thanks, steve
    Yes. I remember my first car (100 yrs ago ) had a starter problem. Worked fine on the bench....threw the Bendix (starter drive) out fine and spun easily and fast, but wouldn't throw the bendix if it was in the car. Replaced the starter and all was well.
    Levi, Marlin, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Clean battery cables on each end, both positive and ground.
    Look for evidence of hot or corroded spots on the cables.
    Often on damaged cables or corroded connections only a small amount of current can pass through the wire, such as enough to engage the solenoid, but not enough current to rotate the starter motor.
    MDrew, Levi, Marlin and 4 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Deere added a "starter improvement kit" on the Onans in the mid/late 80s due to issues with the wiring. Corrosion? Incorrect size? Strange aging magic? No idea what the actual issue was, but it solved it.
    The problem it solved was very similar to yours.
    Good components, but the starter wouldnt engage with the key switch.
    I had a mower that I got cheap, and I thought Id fix it and sell it. It was a 165 with the Kawasaki single 14hp I believe. The starter was acting up like your previous owner described. Worked sometimes, but not always.

I made my own starter improvement kit, and it worked like a charm after that.

Generally, its the trigger wire that is causing the issue.
    The kit is just a relay, using the original trigger wire to actuate the relay.
    The heavy gauge wire to the starter is left alone. Its rarely the problem.
    You can actually test this by running a jumper from that wire to the small terminal where the small gauge wire is attached (remove that wire first).
    If that works, then you know what to do.
    Levi, Robnik and sroysr like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Deere added a "starter improvement kit" on the Onans in the mid/late 80s due to issues with the wiring. Corrosion? Incorrect size? Strange aging magic? No idea what the actual issue was, but it solved it.
    The problem it solved was very similar to yours.
    Good components, but the starter wouldnt engage with the key switch.
    I had a mower that I got cheap, and I thought Id fix it and sell it. It was a 165 with the Kawasaki single 14hp I believe. The starter was acting up like your previous owner described. Worked sometimes, but not always.

I made my own starter improvement kit, and it worked like a charm after that.

Generally, its the trigger wire that is causing the issue.
    The kit is just a relay, using the original trigger wire to actuate the relay.
    The heavy gauge wire to the starter is left alone. Its rarely the problem.
    You can actually test this by running a jumper from that wire to the small terminal where the small gauge wire is attached (remove that wire first).
    If that works, then you know what to do.
    AM107421 is the part number for the starter improvement kit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Levi and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    AM107421 is the part number for the starter improvement kit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Thats the one. Looks like it fits a LOT of different tractors now (been a while since Ive looked at it). Well, it probably did before, they just updated the list as they went along.

In my case, I had the relays, wire and connectors on hand, so mine was free. $40+ is a lot to pay for a $5 relay and some connectors.
    These are fairly easy to make if you know how to use a crimper for the connectors.

If you prefer a more factory look, you can always find a relay with an attached block with wires, or just buy the one Deere has if the price doesnt scare you.
    Levi, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Clean the posts and terminals. I discovered the other day that the cables themselves had corrosion in them. It went quite a way up the cable. I saw it in the ground and replaced that. Need a new posi cable also.Replacing the ground helped the intermittent starting issue. Look at the cheaper repairs first. If parts don't need replacing at least you know they checked out OK and are good to go.
    Levi, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sroysr View Post

thanks, steve
    Many years ago a girl friend called. She was stranded her car would not crank. I tried jump starting it, nothing. Then I crawled under it and hit the starter with a hammer. It then started. I told her that was not a fix, get the starter replaced.
    arlen, Levi and Robnik like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    Jim is correct that the starter improvement kit is a good thing to do for the little rear engined riders since they use a solenoid-shift style of starter (the solenoid both operates the starter pinion engagement AND closes the high current contacts...)

In the thread above I did not hear any mention of the solenoid even clicking when you turn the key, so check all the circuit to the solenoid coil in addition to the key switch itself (safety switches, etc...) Verify that the PTO switch is turned off and that the transmission is in Neutral and that both these switches are working correctly.

Here is the closest wiring diagram I have to the subject tractor on this thread:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SX75 Wiring.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	637136

Chuck

...by the way, here is the simple wiring of the improvement relay application, and I too have made my own out of locally available relays from the auto parts stores. Surplus Center has them with sockets and pigtail wires for under $5 -- but you need to be ordering other things as well to get past the cost of shipping making it more than double that...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starter improvement kit schematic.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	637138
    Levi and Robnik like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast