Do we have a definitive guide comparing lawn tractors?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Do we have a definitive guide comparing lawn tractors?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

Do we have a definitive guide comparing lawn tractors?

Well, do we, for Deere at least?

JD's literature is extremely brief. For example, telling me 24HP versus 24HP -EFI, is insignificant. Telling me Briggs and Stratton versus Kawasaki liquid cooled is significantly more detailed.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    TractorData.com Has a lot of information on many brands of tractors and lawn tractors
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    When comparing various equipment I download the spec or data sheets and make a chart to compare. That way I put the more important aspects to me toward the top of the list.

Yes - Iím talking about a handwritten list or table - old school.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    When comparing various equipment I download the spec or data sheets and make a chart to compare. That way I put the more important aspects to me toward the top of the list.

Yes - Iím talking about a handwritten list or table - old school.
    I do that too.

If it ends up with lots of different categories, I make a spreadsheet up in Excel or something similar.
    Thats what I did before I bought the 2025. Worked out pretty good there...and I dont have to worry about where I put the paper, which happens all the darn time when I just write it down.
    coaltrain, SulleyBear and Big like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    I wouldn't use tractordata.com. I would use Deere's webpage or a dealer. But, there is a difference in the quality of lawn tractors Deere makes, i.e. the D or the current E series are of inferior quality than the X-series. X300 series are lawn tractors, X500 series are more like yard tractors or less capable garden tractors and the X700 series are garden tractors. For a better comparison, go to a dealer and actually physically look over the tractors and look at the features and the quality of build.

Deere makes tractors at price points, but also at what the tractor was designed to do. Don't be swayed by engine horsepower, but the construction around the engine and what the tractor's intended purpose is.
    North585, DRobinson, posi and 2 others like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    I wouldn't use tractordata.com. I would use Deere's webpage or a dealer. But, there is a difference in the quality of lawn tractors Deere makes, i.e. the D or the current E series are of inferior quality than the X-series. X300 series are lawn tractors, X500 series are more like yard tractors or less capable garden tractors and the X700 series are garden tractors. For a better comparison, go to a dealer and actually physically look over the tractors and look at the features and the quality of build.

Deere makes tractors at price points, but also at what the tractor was designed to do. Don't be swayed by engine horsepower, but the construction around the engine and what the tractor's intended purpose is.
    Thatís true - most everything these days is made to a price point.

The average Joe when looking at lawn tractors will put 90% weight to engine horsepower when making a decision. It is the main marketing point for that reason. But there is so much more involved - trying to find where brand X cheapened things up compared to brand Y to come to the same price point.
    JD4044M likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    X300 series are lawn tractors, X500 series are more like yard tractors or less capable garden tractors and the X700 series are garden tractors.
    I wouldn't say that at all. The X300 are lawn tractors, yes (and excellent ones!). But the X500 are definitely garden tractors. If you compare them with what the competition calls garden tractors, they are usually superior. The K72 is a very heavy duty transmission capable of all kinds of serious ground engagement tasks, such as tilling and even plowing (you can get a powered sleeve hitch for them). There are a few garden tractors that are on par with them, but I am not aware of anything called a garden tractor that is better (except the X700 series, of course).

The X700 series are not garden tractors at all, in my opinion. Some people call them "super garden tractors," but I like to call them "hobbled SCUTs." Hobbled in the sense that they are SCUTs in terms of capability, but John Deere took away their loader and sells them without three points or rear PTOs (though those can be added). I guess the way they are sold, the "super garden tractor" label is the most accurate.

No one but John Deere makes anything like the X700 series. Amazing machines.
    Last edited by mike01; 07-04-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Herminator likes this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks

For current models yes, but if buying used, I find tractordata.com much faster and easier to compare. It does not help there was an x4XX series that became the x5XX series, (that in no way the same as the current x5XX series) that became the x7XX series.

I can understand John Deere no longer having specs on past models, they want to sell current models.
    DRobinson likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    I wouldn't say that at all. The X300 are lawn tractors, yes (and excellent ones!). But the X500 are definitely garden tractors. If you compare them with what the competition calls garden tractors, they are usually superior. The K72 is a very heavy duty transmission capable of all kinds of serious ground engagement tasks, such as tilling and even plowing (you can get a powered sleeve hitch for them). There are a few garden tractors that are on par with them, but I am not aware of anything called a garden tractor that is better (except the X700 series, of course).

The X700 series are not garden tractors at all, in my opinion. Some people call them "super garden tractors," but I like to call them "hobbled SCUTs." Hobbled in the sense that they are SCUTs in terms of capability, but John Deere took away their loader and sells them without three points or rear PTOs (though those can be added). I guess the way they are sold, the "super garden tractor" label is the most accurate.

No one but John Deere makes anything like the X700 series. Amazing machines.
    I guess there is nothing wrong with a different label, but I still prefer the way its always been with Deere, that they are just garden tractors.
    Just because they are bigger and better garden tractors doesnt make them something else.

In the late 70s when the big garden tractors came out, there was the 300 series and the 400 series.
    There wasnt much out there to compete with the 400 series, especially the 430 in the late 80s. There still isnt much that can.
    Heck, the 90s 400 series really didnt have any competition either (425,455 etc).
    The X700 series, previously the X500 series, is comparable to the older 400 series in size and capability.
    They all had loaders available back then, as did the 300 series, which you cant get for the 500 series.

Anyway, just because nobody else makes something comparable, or calls a certain size tractor by a different name/classification, doesnt mean its not what it is.
    Everyone else is getting smaller, and they always have been. Deere is the only one thats continued to make the large garden tractors.

Its always been my opinion that if you can get a hitch for ground engaging equipment, then its a garden tractor (thats actually the designations intent, that you can do gardening work with it like tilling, plowing, etc). Another requirement for me is bolt on rear wheels. There are some running around that are more in line with Deeres X300 series that are calling them garden tractors, and they arent.

I think too that the designations are lost on a lot of people (not many of us here obviously), because they just dont understand the difference. They see a small "rider" with a mowing deck and its a "lawn mower" to them. It never occurs to them that they can do so much more.
    Because of this I believe the designations that used to be used are just thrown out.
    We used to have:
    Lawn Mowers. Most heavily used for mowing. MIGHT pull a cart once in a while, but not really intended to do much more than mow.
    Lawn Tractors. Above plus heavier duty transmissions for pulling carts and doing lawn work. Will not use ground engaging equipment.
    Garden Tractors. Above plus even heavier duty transmission designed for ground engaging work.

Now it seems we are combining the middle group into the other two.

In any case, I wish there was a guide out there somewhere, but that would be a massive undertaking.
    I was looking (still am here and there) for a LT/GT for my neighbor, but have no idea what Im after. I know most of Deeres stuff up until about 95, then not much until more recently. GTs I can figure out easy enough, as Ive always kind of followed those, but the LTs I never really did. A guide would certainly help with that kind of stuff.

Makes me wonder if we could use Google Docs or something similar where people could add models and information about them as they find them.
    I have a couple old full line catalogs from years past, and Im sure others do too. Id be willing to bet that between all the members here we probably have all the information on all the years from late 80s until now.
    The list would be MASSIVE though.
    mike01 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

That's exactly my point. It would be a Deere enthusiast who compiled all the data. It would show stuff Deere would likely never admit (such as a Briggs engine having half a life span of a Kawasaki, for example.)
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast