Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Researching New JD Riding Mowers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks

Researching New JD Riding Mowers

I lived in the city for most of my adult life. Recently bought a home on 2+ acres. Bought the 25 year old JD model 265 that was available at purchase. It has worked great for last 3 years now is slowly dying. In my research to replace it I have discovered at least in my perception that all the E models from Loews etc, the x 300 models and the x 570 are virtually the same except of course the price. The size of the trans axle may be the only difference except they are still aluminum rather than cast iron. I bought the 570 and was disappointed to find the E180 came standard with larger front tires. I was disappointed that the front axle assembly is same across the board for the x300 series as well as the x570. I am beginning to doubt that there is any difference in the frames for the E series through the x 570. It seems to me that you don't even get into any real quality until maybe the 580 and above.I just dont see the quality between the e170 and the x570 being worth $3300 more or even close. I have 45 very large trees on my property, the lawn is very rough and areas are very swampy and ditches along the front and I have to pull a large (60 bu capacity) leaf vacuum/chipper and dont think these lower end JD models will handle the stress. Is there anyone out there who may inform me otherwise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    I lived in the city for most of my adult life. Recently bought a home on 2+ acres. Bought the 25 year old JD model 265 that was available at purchase. It has worked great for last 3 years now is slowly dying. In my research to replace it I have discovered at least in my perception that all the E models from Loews etc, the x 300 models and the x 570 are virtually the same except of course the price. The size of the trans axle may be the only difference except they are still aluminum rather than cast iron. I bought the 570 and was disappointed to find the E180 came standard with larger front tires. I was disappointed that the front axle assembly is same across the board for the x300 series as well as the x570. I am beginning to doubt that there is any difference in the frames for the E series through the x 570. It seems to me that you don't even get into any real quality until maybe the 580 and above.I just dont see the quality between the e170 and the x570 being worth $3300 more or even close. I have 45 very large trees on my property, the lawn is very rough and areas are very swampy and ditches along the front and I have to pull a large (60 bu capacity) leaf vacuum/chipper and dont think these lower end JD models will handle the stress. Is there anyone out there who may inform me otherwise?

If you believe that already, changing your mind might be hard.
    Most series have the same axle across the board. It started back when Deere started making lawn tractors. There were minor changes if a newer model came out during a series run, but for the most part they were all the same. For instance, the 3 series from the early 80s through early 90s. All the same front axle. All the same front tire size. All the same frame. All the same transaxle. Differences were options. Hydraulic outlets, number of spools (different valves), engine hp or gas vs diesel.

You could probably look at the brochure to see the differences, (or at least you SHOULD be able to, but it looks like they dont list the actual numbers of the transaxles) but even in just casually looking at the dealer, they arent the same at all.
    Its not the frame you need to worry about, its the transaxle and engine. Those are the big issues with what you want to do. Im sure someone here can tell you what model transaxle is in what tractor, and what to avoid.

From your description of the property, it sounds like you need to do some work to it to flatten it out. Not much will put up with that kind of abuse on a regular basis.
    With that many trees, and the description of "large" Ill assume they are older, and if so, you are likely to be cleaning up a lot of branches and trees in the future. You may very well look at the 1025 instead.

Were it me, Id be looking at a SCUT for that kind of work, but my neighbor has made due on 4 acres, heavily wooded, with a Craftsman rider. He pulls a cart thats much heavier than your bagger at times (loaded with logs), but that cart is always on it. He keeps his lawn and trails through the woods flat by rolling or dragging them. Hes had it for about 5 years, and is due for an upgrade.
    Ive got 5.5, and woods, and have a zero turn for mowing and a 2025R. I still use my 318 for pulling a cart when necessary, and pulling the monster roller around.

One last thing Ill address, and thats the aluminum transaxle.
    This is brought up from time to time regarding larger tractors too. They arent cast iron because nobody makes them that way anymore. The aluminum is, in general, every bit as strong as cast iron. If its good enough for great big tractors, why not lawn tractors? My 318 is running one from 1987. The 300 series has had them since the 70s. So did the others, and before. Youd have to get an X700 series to compete with the work the 318 is capable of, and even then, I doubt it would hold up as well for as long as the older ones.
    Basically, an aluminum transaxle is not a problem, its the norm now, a non-issue.
    Worry more about what engine is under the hood. Heck, youd be better off worrying about tire brand and model than what the transaxle is made of. Its not the housings that fail.
    Zebrafive, Levi and Fozsey like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    I think all of the x500 series have the K72 trans-axle which is rated for ground engaging work meaning it can pull a load without dying a quick death.
    The X300 series seems to vary between a K46, k57/58 I believe and these would not last nearly as long pulling a load over hilly terrain.
    Others with more info will chim in I'm sure.
    Look at torque and weight rating between K46, 57, and K72. Significant.
    http://www.kanzaki.co.jp/en/products...k62k66k72.html
    Last edited by Nuke; 07-06-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    Levi and Fozsey like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,214 Posts
    The main working components of any riding mower is the engine and transaxle. The #1 difference between the D/E models and the X3/5 models is the engine and transaxle. D/E has Briggs and Stratton engines and X3/5 has Kawasaki engines. The D/E models have a disposable transaxle whereas most of the X3/5 has a serviceable transaxle meaning they can be repaired and you can change the fluid on some models. The size of the front tires means nothing. The X3 and X5 share the same frame / chassis.

There are lots of little differences but you have to dig deep to see them. Like wheel bearings on the X-series and bushings on the D/E. While a lot of these small differences are hidden and seem minor they all contribute to a tractor with a longer service life.
    Zebrafive, Levi and Fozsey like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    I just dont see the quality between the e170 and the x570 being worth $3300 more or even close.
    No offense but you aren't looking closely enough. Go to JD Parts and start comparing parts and you will see a big difference between the E170 and X570. By weight alone the X570 weighs 100 lbs. more than the E170 and it's not due to thicker paint. :-)

I have 45 very large trees on my property, the lawn is very rough and areas are very swampy and ditches along the front and I have to pull a large (60 bu capacity) leaf vacuum/chipper and dont think these lower end JD models will handle the stress. Is there anyone out there who may inform me otherwise?
    It sounds like a rear differential lock is going to be a life saver in that terrain. The X570 will serve you well in that regard.
    mjncad, IndianaJim, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:34 AM
    Thanks
    The X300 series and the X500 series do have the same frame, but the E/D series have a much weaker/cheaper frame. The X300/500 frame is quite strong and well built.

The big difference between your X570 and the X300 series is the transmission. As someone mentioned above, it is a TuffTorq K72, which is a very good and very strong transmission rated for ground engaging (that means the X570 can pull a small plow, cultivator, hydraulic tiller, etc.). If you try that with an X300 it won't last very long. Though some people do it and seem to keep them running. An E/D series will probably melt and explode if you try to pull a plow with it.

If you don't do any of those things, you can still zip up hills pulling carts (or not) without worrying about damaging the transmission. Also, the transmissions X500 series and the more expensive X300s are serviceable, the E/D series are not (they may have changed that in the top end models).

The X300 and X500 tractors also have much better deck mounting systems and better mower decks. That's quite important in a tractor whose primary purpose is mowing. The Accel Deep decks are excellent, both in terms of the quality of cut and capacity (how much/tall grass it can handle before it bogs down). You can't compare them to the decks on an E/D series.

Except for the cheapest X300 model, the X series all have Kawaski engines, again as mentioned previously. These Kawasaki engines are made to last and are far superior to the B&S, Kohler, etc. engines in box store tractors (not that those guys don't also make excellent engines).

The X570 is an outstanding machine that will last nearly forever if well maintained, and it can do things no E/D series tractor ever dreamed of. It's built to last.

But if you really want the best mowing tractor you can buy, trade your machine (or JD promise it if you bought it less than 30 days ago) on an X738, X739 or X758. Then you'll never compare your tractor to an E/D series again.

But like...seriously...the fact that you can compare an X570 to E/D series boggles my mind.
    Last edited by mike01; 07-06-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Zebrafive, Levi, nastorino and 1 others like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Even the Kawasaki engines are different at different price points. My son in law works for Kawasaki in Maryville, MO and he looked at the engine tag on my GX 345 a few years back and told me that engine was built in his plant and came down one of the premium lines. He also told me that they made a visually similar engine with the same HP rating but the internals are day and night different with one having crank bearings as opposed to bushings, better oiling systems, etc. Don't think for a second that 2 differently numbered models have identical specs. That $3000 difference in price ain't no accident.
    mjncad and Levi like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fozsey For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (07-11-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT Swamp.

Please post a general location in the country you live in.

We have no idea how old you are. That can also make a big difference in what you buy. My 30 something neighbor has a 'D' series Home Cheapot Deere and he was telling me that it's starting to beat the snot out of him. When my 'L' series Home Cheapot grade Deere was giving me fits four years ago and was beating the crap out of me I decided to get a lawn and garden tractor with the intention that it was going to last me out.

I wanted/needed AWS (All Wheel Steer, love it), water cooled engine, power steering, hydraulic deck lift, a bigger seat, auto connect deck that is larger. What I ended up getting was an X754, which is like going from a Yugo to a well optioned out modern car. I would have gotten AWD/AWS; but I would have had to go with a gas engine. Now my fuel consumption and time mowing is cut in half, and I don't feel like I've wrestled a bear and lost any more.

If you can afford it, get what you want, and don't pass over looking at a 1 or 2 series tractor too, and they may be better suited to your needs.

If anyone knows where I can get a wrecked X758, or whichever one has AWD/AWS with an intact front axle with wheels & tires; let me know so I can add an upgrade project to my ever growing list of ideas.
    Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    First of all I will say Deere “cheaped” out when it comes to front tire on X570, they did go from 16x6.5-8 front tire they used on X500 and still use on rest of 500 series to the 15x6.5-8 used on current X570- the 570 does still have 24 inch back tires compared to 22 inch on E180 some of the other differences you get for the extra 3 grand.

Tires, the X570 tires are higher quality, steering spindles- no bushing in E series, replaceable metal bushing in X570. Front wheels- e180 replaceable- x570 sealed ball bearing. Steering- E180 Manual 18 inch turning radius, X570 low effort 16 inch radius Mowing deck- E180 edge cutting deck- X570 Acell deep deck ( much better) Engine- briggs in E180, much better Kawasaki in X570, much better ground speed. 7.2 mph to 5.5Mph ,Hood, E180 JD loy- whatever that is, X570 Xenoy- much better scratch and impact resistance. Frame weighs 53lbs in E180, vs 93lbs in X570, Hitch plate is 19lbs in 570, vs 9lbs in E180 , Absolutely no comparison in tranny k46 vs K72, not to mention diff lock on 570 compared to 1 wheel drive in E180
    4 year 500 hour bumper to bumper warranty vs 2 year 200 hour on E180, Electronic dash on 570 vs squat in E180-

Probably several more differences, but those are a few of the main differences off the top of my head. If
    you think all that is the same, sorry to say you didn’t look very closely
    mjncad, Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    You should have stayed in town .
    arlen and H-D dealer dude like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements