I recently had an issue with my LT133 regulator wiring. Some of the wires to the regulator burned. See photo:
I resolved the issue by replacing the regulator and making sure that it had a good ground. I replaced the regulator connector housing but did not repace the pins. When I fired up the mower everything seemed to be working great....until eventually everything fried again even worse than the first time. See photo:
This time I'll be replacing the X4 connector housing and pins, as well as any wire that has burned. I'm ditching the regulator connector housing and I'm going to use new quick disconnect crimp terminals instead. Also will replace the regulator as resistance readings tell me it's bad according to the manual.
My understanding is that what has caused the overheating and burned wires is the fact that there may have been some bad connections. The first time I believe it was a bad ground connection. The second time I believe it was because of charred connections in the regulator housing connector and in the X4 connector. I did try to clean them up but evidently not good enough.
My questions are:
Are there other problems (other than bad connections) that might cause the wiring to overheat? I need to replace all of the above anyway but is there is something else I can look for that might have caused the overheating? I would hate to get this all wired up just to have the same thing happen again.
Also, would anyone recommend leaving out the X4 connector and just hardwiring to the regulator?