Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: coolant leaking out of overflow hose on recovery bottle

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 03:19 AM
    Thanks

coolant leaking out of overflow hose on recovery bottle

Dealer keeps telling me it air being purged out of the system that is emptying my recovery bottle. Well, how long would that take? I have a new x738 with 8 hours on it. Just did the first oil change. I have just refilled the bottle and marked the tank to see how much is leaking out. The first tank emptied out in 5 hours.
    Does this sound like air in the system or is it something else.
    [B]

97-345
    00-345
    05-GX345
    18-x738 54-inch deck, 54- inch front blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Hello, Pls clarify. The title of the thread indicates the coolant is coming out of the overflow hose, but the description sounds more like its just emptying into the system as air is purged out. The only reason it would come out of the overflow hose that I know of is if its overfilled or its overheating. Does temperature gauge read normal? If its low because it draining into the system, it seems normal that this would occur to displace air; however 8 hours seems like a long time. The only other possibility though is an external leak. Have you notice one? If its running at normal temp and there is no leak and its not coming out of the overflow hose, I would top it up again and you'll probably be fine.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    My belief is that purging air is accomplished with numerous hot to cold cycles and not necessarily hours of operation.
    It is normal to have air purged and a reduction in overflow bottle coolant level for a short time when new. I would continue to keep adding coolant for a little while longer before I declared the engine was consuming coolant.
    My 1025 looses a little at a time from sloshing in the tank when I travel over my rough ground so I would recommend you mark your tank somewhere around 1/3 full when cold.
    Keep a close eye on the mark when cold.
    Keep examining the engine and hose connections for signs of leakage.
    If no external leaks are evident then I would begin to suspect a need for examination under warranty.
    Good luck sir.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 03:19 AM
    Thanks
    After I run the tractor an hour or so( it runs at normal temperature ) and put the tractor in the garage it drips coolant out of the hose on the recovery bottle onto the floor, first I thought it was just over full but kept going until near empty. The radiator is always full. Dealer keeps telling me it's purging air out of system to keep filling the recovery bottle between the hot and cold lines and I have.
    If there is air in the system HOW long might it take to purge out. Or should I take it back to the dealer?
    [B]

97-345
    00-345
    05-GX345
    18-x738 54-inch deck, 54- inch front blade

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    If the hose in the recovery tank is not below the liquid in the tank, it can't pull any coolant back into the system.

This is what I do. When cold, fill the radiator full. Then fill the recovery tank so the level is 1/2 way up the normal operating level. (or more) Cut the lawn. After parking the tractor hot, immediately check the coolant tank. It has to have coolant in it at this time. If not, it will pull air back into the system while the tractor cools. If it's low, fill it to the top operating level. (Recovery tank) Let cool down completely and refill the recovery tank to 1/2 normal operating level. This may take several attempts.

As long as the hose can pickup coolant from the recovery tank, it will pull in what it needs.

Normally this only takes a few heat cycles to balance out. (completely hot to completely cold) This is assuming the tank and hose are good.

When your done cutting there should be coolant in the tank within the operating range. Usually closer to the top line when hot.

Without a picture of the overflow tank, I'm guessing the tank has a hose from the radiator and one from the top of the tank down as an overflow? I think you are saying it's the overflow that's dripping?
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    You better start looking for a different dealer to deal with on this issue., as you will be needing one soon on the problem your mention. The person you talked to probably was on his second day of employment there. No motorized unit of any kind keeps removing coolant from a reservoir tank unless there is a internal problem. A new dealer will apply a coolant passage air test to find why air is been pulled and exhaled out.

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. When you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not as susceptible to leaking.

I wouldn't get to worked up over this, at least yet. Let the dealer figure this out since it's under warranty. You could always wrap a paper towel and tape it into position around the neck of the bottle to see if you get coolant. That would advance the troubleshooting needed.
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 07-14-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spellin'
    North585, coaltrain and Randog like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. when you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not to susceptible to leaking.

I wouldn't get to worked up over this, at least yet. Let the dealer figure this out since it's under warranty. You could always wrap a paper towel and tape it into position around the neck of the bottle to see if you get coolant. That would advance the troubleshooting needed.
    True or not - I have found some machines just seem to find their own level in the recovery tank. We had one - you would fill it to the cold mark before a cold start in the morning. The next morning it would be down 1/2 way between the cold mark and the bottom of the bottle. Every day the same thing.

So one day I didnít add any coolant - left it where it was. From then on we never had to add coolant. Seems the machine just liked that level of coolant in the bottle.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. when you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not to susceptible to leaking.
    Good catch!

I checked the X738 parts and they used two different tanks. One with a snap on lid (leaker) and another with a screw on cap.

Same on my 1025R. Snap on splash leaked. Dealer replaced it with the screw on cap model.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    True or not - I have found some machines just seem to find their own level in the recovery tank. We had one - you would fill it to the cold mark before a cold start in the morning. The next morning it would be down 1/2 way between the cold mark and the bottom of the bottle. Every day the same thing.

So one day I didnít add any coolant - left it where it was. From then on we never had to add coolant. Seems the machine just liked that level of coolant in the bottle.
    I've seen that as well. I wish I could explain it. Perhaps it was the same issue? Splashed out the overflow until it reached a level that no longer could make it out?
    North585 and coaltrain like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast