Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Waiting on my new X738

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

Waiting on my new X738

Up until now I've never owned anything more than used old riding lawn mowers that most of the time I got for free. Even after building my house I said I'm not buying a tractor until I had a shed to put it in. Finally 5 years after building the house I have a shed. About 2 weeks ago my latest old riding lawn mower decided it had enough of me and my hill that is disguised as a lawn. Seeing as I finally had a place to put a new tractor and keep it out of the rain I started my search for a new machine.

Like many my search started with box stores and higher end riding mowers from dealers (husky and cub primarily). I knew I needed something with a transmission that could handle my property and I really wanted something that could actually do more than just mow a lawn. Long story short as I'm sure you can tell from the title of the post I've settled on an x738 which the local dealer had on the showroom floor. I had originally planned on getting an x730 but they sold me the x738 with a 54"HC drive over deck, hydraulic 3PT hitch, mulch kit and a woods 48" box scraper for 400 more than they quoted for the x730 (with the same options) which they would have had order from the factory. So after walking into the dealer just looking for a quote I ended up leaving with 60 months of payments @ 0% (that financing deal has got to be killing the x500 series sales).

So here I sit now typing this and waiting as patiently as possible waiting for my tractor to be delivered. Sure I said a week lead time on the 3pt hitch wasn't a problem and I wasn't in a hurry to get the tractor, but that was a week ago.... I thought writing this might help but I don't think it has I feel like a kid does the week before Christmas and all I want is my new shiny green toy.

Also thanks to endlessly reading forum posts to satisfy my green tractor itch I can't help but wonder if I should have gone for the diesel or maybe a 1 series (although I don't think a 1 series will fit in the shed so that's a deal breaker for now).....
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats man, you'll love the machine. Hopefully your wait is better than my 4-5 week wait. That machine is extremely capable I think you'll still be surprised how well it can push and pull material.
    etcallhome, Levi and tj1 like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I still can't help to think that the box blade is too much for the tractor even though it's a standard accessory offered by JD for this series tractor. Or am I just worrying too much. I do have about 100lbs of weight to hang on the front end as ballast when I have the blade on which should help things out a bit.
    etcallhome, Levi and tj1 like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 03:19 AM
    Thanks

Got mine 6 weeks ago

I got mine 6 weeks ago, I have had many JD tractor but nothing like this beast. It's everything I thought it would be and much more. This climbs like a billy goat, I can cut places I would have to spend hours using a weed wacker to cut.
    If a man can love a garden tractor I'm in love with mine. I did the 8-hour oil change no tools took 10 minutes, well the factory put the oil filter on way to tight so I guess I did you a big pair of channel locks to get the filter off.
    I can hardly wait to plow snow with my beast. my other tractor tore up my asphalt driveway pretty bad over the years using chains in the winter. Driveway has been replaced and my x738 will not be needing any chains.
    I added the front receiver with a 2-inch ball I love how it handles moving my snowmobile trailer and boat trailer around, I had to fix that RIO switch or unfix it I back up probably 40 times cutting my yard.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    [B]

97-345
    00-345
    05-GX345
    18-x738 54-inch deck, 54- inch front blade

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    And now I just want the delivery that much more. Thanks for that 😆

Not that any safety minded homeowner would want to do such a modification, but was the RIO switch easy to handle?
    Levi and tj1 like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 03:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    And now I just want the delivery that much more. Thanks for that 😆

Not that any safety minded homeowner would want to do such a modification, but was the RIO switch easy to handle?
    How long you been waiting. I bought mine on a Tuesday and they delivered it that Friday. I waited 3 days. Has it been longer than that?
    Levi and tj1 like this.
    [B]

97-345
    00-345
    05-GX345
    18-x738 54-inch deck, 54- inch front blade

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Been a full 7 days so far.the said the 3pt hitch was a weeks lead time for shipping. I figure I have till Thursday or next Tuesday before delivery. 😂
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    I still can't help to think that the box blade is too much for the tractor even though it's a standard accessory offered by JD for this series tractor. Or am I just worrying too much. I do have about 100lbs of weight to hang on the front end as ballast when I have the blade on which should help things out a bit.
    I use a 4' box blade (about 300#, same as Woods) with my X729 with 4 suitcases on front and it works fine. You just have to realize it not Grandpa's 4020 and you can't drop the ripper teeth to max and go flying down packed driveway. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
    Levi and tj1 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Up until now I've never owned anything more than used old riding lawn mowers that most of the time I got for free. Even after building my house I said I'm not buying a tractor until I had a shed to put it in. Finally 5 years after building the house I have a shed. About 2 weeks ago my latest old riding lawn mower decided it had enough of me and my hill that is disguised as a lawn. Seeing as I finally had a place to put a new tractor and keep it out of the rain I started my search for a new machine.

Like many my search started with box stores and higher end riding mowers from dealers (husky and cub primarily). I knew I needed something with a transmission that could handle my property and I really wanted something that could actually do more than just mow a lawn. Long story short as I'm sure you can tell from the title of the post I've settled on an x738 which the local dealer had on the showroom floor. I had originally planned on getting an x730 but they sold me the x738 with a 54"HC drive over deck, hydraulic 3PT hitch, mulch kit and a woods 48" box scraper for 400 more than they quoted for the x730 (with the same options) which they would have had order from the factory. So after walking into the dealer just looking for a quote I ended up leaving with 60 months of payments @ 0% (that financing deal has got to be killing the x500 series sales).

So here I sit now typing this and waiting as patiently as possible waiting for my tractor to be delivered. Sure I said a week lead time on the 3pt hitch wasn't a problem and I wasn't in a hurry to get the tractor, but that was a week ago.... I thought writing this might help but I don't think it has I feel like a kid does the week before Christmas and all I want is my new shiny green toy.

Also thanks to endlessly reading forum posts to satisfy my green tractor itch I can't help but wonder if I should have gone for the diesel or maybe a 1 series (although I don't think a 1 series will fit in the shed so that's a deal breaker for now).....

I'm honestly wondering if Deere is planning on nuking the x700 series sometime soon, or seriously paring back the number of variants to just one or two.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Granted it was while he was selling me my tractor my dealer said the x700s are selling really well. He claimed they were selling an X7xx about every other week. For a tractor as expensive as this every other week sounds like pretty hot sales when there are 2 other JD dealers within 30 min of him.
    Levi likes this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast