Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-21-2019 @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks

Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System

I was in the market for a new E130, and then found out it had a new feature called the "Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System". Therefore I am not going to buy it, and I would like to share my reasons.

First, the oversized cartridge which contains both the oil filter and about .75 qt of oil costs between $39.95 (Home Depot) and $49.95, depending on where you buy it. This is insanity. I can do a FULL oil change with filter on my L110 for less than $20, so this "feature" doubles the cost.

Second, the oversized cartridge only contains 0.75 quart of oil. So, I am guessing that this is about half the oil actually in the engine. Why is it a "feature" to "change the oil" and leave half the dirty oil still in the engine? This will clearly shorten the life of the engine, but my guess is that JD doesn't care because it will still make it through the warranty period.

Third, what happens when JD realizes this "feature" was a dumb idea and either discontinues the filters, or jacks up the price to $100 each ten years from now? I don't like being locked-in to buying such a common item (an oil filter) from the manufacturer only.

Fourth, this "feature" solves a problem that does not exist. Changing the oil on my L110 requires me to twist off a plastic cap on the drain pipe by hand, after which ALL the oil drains out. Putting new oil in is a no-brainer. Changing the filter requires unscrewing it, and is about as difficult as changing a light bulb. So, what problem did they solve, exactly?

I have always been a John Deere customer, but I am not going to buy a machine with a proprietary oil filter that is over priced and nobody else makes. Husqvarna makes some pretty good riding mowers, and JD's introduction of this ill-advised "feature" has lost them a customer.
    SulleyBear, Randog and RonPol like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    There was a lot of discussion on the points you made (all good ones, btw) when the system was announced. It was brought to light that there is in fact a retrofit kit available to convert it back to the 'normal' means of oil changing.

So just because there is a new system on these doesn't really make it a deal breaker. Personally, i would look up that kit and then re-make your decision.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    As the previous poster mentioned, there is a kit to switch back to a standard oil filter. It's about $10 worth of parts. Very simple to install.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    How often does Deere recommend you change this high dollar filter?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    How often does Deere recommend you change this high dollar filter?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Yearly or Every 50 Hours (Whichever Comes First)

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    If that model mower hits all your other buttons aside from the silly Easy change, then don’t let the system stop you. The changeover kits are super simple and easy to install and are very inexpensive-after installation the oil change is the standard one you are used to using the same oil and filter you always have.

If I were in the market for this class and size of machine I would buy it and the retrofit kit and not think twice about the Easy change garbage.
    jgayman, SulleyBear and jimmylh like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    If that model mower hits all your other buttons aside from the silly Easy change, then don’t let the system stop you. The changeover kits are super simple and easy to install and are very inexpensive-after installation the oil change is the standard one you are used to using the same oil and filter you always have.

If I were in the market for this class and size of machine I would buy it and the retrofit kit and not think twice about the Easy change garbage.
    Exactly! Folks swap seats and tires all the time on new machines because they don't like what it came with from the factory.

The JD bulletin for the change back to a normal filter is attached. It's like $10 worth of parts plus a filter.

Easy-Change-Oil-Filter-System-Conversion.pdf

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone else here, with one minor addition.

If I had decided I wanted a particular machine that had this system, Id have the dealer do the work to change it over and pay for the kit in the negotiation on pricing.
    I certainly wouldnt let that stop me from buying something I wanted otherwise.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks
    I bought a E130 this spring and plan on changing over to the normal filter at around 25 hours. Love the engine and the mower.
    SulleyBear and AJgrn78 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    The problem is the OP is even considering the E series.

Give your head a shake. You can get a premium Cub Cadet or Husky for the price of that E junk, if you're going to be shopping economy tractors anyways.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast