Anyone tried switching from tractor to zero turn?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Anyone tried switching from tractor to zero turn?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks

I'm considering the switch from my x758 to a zero turn. If you've ever done that or contemplated it I'd be interested in your insights and opinions.

I created a detailed thread in the zero turn forum.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ml#post3057456

Thanks,
    Rob
    Levi likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I went from a tractor to zero turn, now I'm back to a tractor, didn't care for the levers.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

I can’t do the levers.

With that said I went from my 1976 wheel horse to my JD F525. Cut my mowing time in half. While not a true zero turn I can go around a 6” tree and not have to trim.

If a F935 with a 60” deck presented itself to me I’d have a hard time saying no.
    Levi, Jeff R., Yamaguy and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Me and my wife discussed it, I'll likely end up with a stander (a form of a ZT, I guess), and my CUT. Currently we run a Mastercraft (think MTD) 38" mower that simply refuses to die, but cuts rather poorly (I stepped on the deck by accident and bent something).
    Last edited by firemachine69; 07-30-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    I went from a JD lawn tractor to a JD zero turn. My wife was a little "afraid" of the ZTR, but picked up the levers quickly, and is now an "expert mower." She did not like the tractor, but loves the ZTR.

In my experience, the ZTR is quicker and more maneuverable. Since were at the place in life where mowing is a chore, not a choice, getting the task done and over with is easier with the ZTR.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    I went from mowing with a 1025 with a 60" deck to a ZTR with a 60" deck and literally cut my mowing time in half. Never looked back. The levers are like second nature now. I get so much closer to everything I hardly touch my push mower now. There is no comparison, a dedicated ZTR for cutting grass is the ticket. I ended up getting a Gravely ZTR with a Kawasaki engine and it's been great.
    636mullet, Levi and firemachine69 like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks

What about hilly terrain?

I use our 4wd tractor to cut on hills (and for that matter everything else). How do the ZTR fair on hills where you would need 4wd typically to get up (and down safely)
    Levi and Oscar Leroy like this.
    2018 Kubota RTVX 1100c
    2014 JD3046R CAB, H165 FEL, 72 HD" Bucket, 72D Auto MMM, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Frontier 1172 SB
    2002 JD4310 OS, 430 FEL, 60" HD Bucket, 60" MMM, Quick Hitch
    2001 Kubota TG1860G
    Wallenstein BX42R Chipper, JD MX5 Mower, HORST Pallet Forks
    Berkelmans Welding 2 Ton Farm Dump Trailer (JD Green)

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    I went from 2305 with a 62" deck to a Country Clipper with a 52" deck and cut my mowing time by 25%. From 4.5 hours to 3.5 hours.

If you "Don't like levers", look at a Country Clipper. One single joystick, very intuitive after about 30 minutes. Everyone I know that has run one will not go to anything different. The other favorite part is that the deck stands straight up to maintain the blades, by hand on my model and with power assist on bigger machines.
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I'm considering the switch from my x758 to a zero turn. If you've ever done that or contemplated it I'd be interested in your insights and opinions.

I created a detailed thread in the zero turn forum.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ml#post3057456

Thanks,
    Rob
    Went from a 455 Diesel tractor with a 60" deck (very comparable to the x758 in size, weight, power, etc,.) to an ExMark Lazer zero turn with the 60" deck. Incredible difference. The zero turn blade speed is unparalleled and does a great job cutting. The ground speed is better on the zero turn, the maneuverability of the zero turn is light years better. In fact, the ONLY downside to the zero turn is that it's a single purpose machine., but it sure is great at that single purpose. (Think Steve Martin's "Special Purpose" in "The Jerk"...)

If you make this change, consider only true professional grade zero turn machines. That means spending $10k or more for a zero turn, but OH WOW what a difference. The professional grade machines are made to mow extremely efficiently and to make a living. They are over built. For example, my ExMark Lazer Z has a 5 year, 1,500 hour warranty on the machine with no hour limits in any year.

I still have my 455 just because I couldn't bring myself to sell it as I have had it since new and that was over 22 years ago and 2,600 hours. But I have never mowed again with it.

Also, when i bought my 1025r, I didn't bother to buy a MMM and I have never regretted it.

To be totally honest, nothing cuts grass like a professional quality zero turn. Just because it can mow at 12mph doesn't mean you should for the best cut quality. I mow at about 8mph and once you get the turns down and don't tear up the sod spinning the mower (because you an very easily) you will be amazed at how great the good zero turn units really are. $

My ONLY regret was not buying a diesel powered ExMark Lazer Zero turn, but that was about $22k where as the unit I went with cost me about $11,500 out the door. I still might upgrade to the Yanmar diesel zero turn in the future. I should sell my 455 and attachments and take that cash and my current Zero turn and step up to the diesel. It would mean less equipment to store in the end and all equipment would be diesel powered.

The gas powered zero turns burn about 60% more fuel than did my 455 per hour mowing. But in an hour of mowing with the zero turn, I bet I mow at least 50% more ground, so the fuel to project is close to the same. I would just prefer to not have to buy and stock 30 gallons of diesel and 30 gallons of gasoline in my shed, which is what i now do.

As someone who is a Deere fan in a big way, frankly, their zero turn mowers are not their strong suit. I tried a new Deere unit which is similar to my mower and while it mowed real well, the Exmark is simply a much better machine. As Exmark likes to say "More professionals mow with ExMark Mowers over any other brands 2 to 1."

Mowing with the zero turn, Best decision I have made in a long time. I now have 160 hours on my Exmark and I have had it just 10 months right now. In fact, the month after I bought my zero turn, I bought my complete 1025R package with implements. I didn't want to mow with my 1025r because of the cab and also just because the ExMark does such a nice job. Glad I didn't buy the MMM for the 1025r as it can't mow as efficiently as the Exmark.

Find a good dealer and have them let you demo one of their zero turns at your place. My buddy dropped off the zero turn for me to mow with and that was all it took. I thought for the longest time that having a zero turn and a tractor would be a waste of money. Well, I was clearly wrong about that.
    Levi, Jeff R. and firemachine69 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kadorken View Post
    I use our 4wd tractor to cut on hills (and for that matter everything else). How do the ZTR fair on hills where you would need 4wd typically to get up (and down safely)
    I will mow hills with my zero turn that I will barely drive my 1025r up and down with the FEL and bucket on. The extremely low center of gravity on the zero turns makes mine very stable. There is no question I would side hill mow with the zero turn, and in fact I do, where I wouldn't consider it with the 1 series. My 455 was more stable on hills than the 1 series because of the lower center of gravity, but the zero turn is even better, in my opinion. I have the Mauser cab on my 1 series and that changes the center of gravity on that machine quite a bit. That's also why I don't MMM mow with it.

GTT Member Levi mows some serious side hills with his 1026r. He recently posted pictures of the hills he mows in Tennessee and he is clearly more comfortable mowing on the side hills than I would be with my tractor with the cab on it. I think the pictures are in the "What did you do with your SCUT" thread, just a few days ago for those wanting to see them. Based upon what I see in the pictures, I would likely mow those hills with my zero turn, but I likely wouldn't with the tractor. Maybe in person they look different, probably more steep.....

As far as traction, I have had no issues. If it's wet enough to cause traction concerns, I wouldn't mow until it dries out because I don't like clumpy grass. I could see how you could spin the wheels on the zero turn under the wet conditions, but I mow up and down the road ditch with my zero turn and have had no issues. Going downhill a steep hill with the zero turn you have to proceed slowly and cautiously as you have all braking and steering on the rear wheels. But you really should do the same with any mowing machine.

One thing about the zero turn which you have to be careful with is that the zero turns are so low if they sink into soft ground, you can get them stuck real quick by hanging the deck or the underside of the machine. There are many posts about members getting their machines stuck, both tractors and zero turns.

I will admit there are some real cowboys when it comes to taking risks while mowing and I am not one of them.
    Levi likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast