Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kbeaag

Thread: Hi! I'm a JD newbie :) happened to own a #345 one

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks

Hi! I'm a JD newbie :) happened to own a #345 one

Hi! I bought an old JD #345 3 years ago. I don't use it that much but I let used by other people that they may not very careful with the machine. Anyway, this is my JD issue that have and wonder if anyone can give me an advice would be much appreciated.
    So it didn't run for like 2 months. I've been told that it was a sudden "dead"! I basically, found a key broke half inside the key hole but managed to remove it and got a new key. I also bought a brand new battery for it since the old one tested dead at a local garage. Base on most of the online posts I saw of a similar problem I changed a new TDM (Timing Delay Module) for it. I started the JD every step of the way to see what I have done working. But so far It remains the same: it cranks when I turn the key but won't stay on afterward. I noticed gas comes out from a little rubber pipe at the bottom of the front everytime I started. Please see a short video and picture that I took of the pipe. I've tried most of the things that I came across from posts and youtube videos, except for doing anything with the Carburetor. Please help! https://youtu.be/vbbKuDIe4oI. https://photos.app.goo.gl/A52xmZCrEkQ13k1n7

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Don't start (try that is) the 345 anymore. From the photos you have taken, it appears the whole fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump and to the carburetor is all messed up. The hose you have in your hand should go to the carburetor, but, that isn't thee way it should be routed. I'll look into my pictures and see if I can send you the correct fuel line setup.
    Last edited by kbeaag; 07-31-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    PJR832 and Rogero246 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quan, look on the left side of the gray plastic flywheel housing to locate the engine I.D. sticker. The 345 used 2 different engines over a period of time. One is an FD590V and the other is an FD611V. Post the model with all the extra letters and numbers that follow it.
    There are (3?) different carburetors and different fuel pumps that match the different engines. The routing or placement of the fuel lines may differ according to carb model I suspect.

I'm not sure that I can help much with the 345, but what kbeaag said about not trying to start the engine with fuel leaking from anywhere is because of a big safety concern. FIRE!

Most, but maybe not all of these models have a fuel bowl vent on the carb that can accept a hose to route gas away from the hot muffler should the carb begin to overflow because of a problem. The newer style fuel pumps have a similar hose to direct raw fuel away from the muffler should it start leaking. Some models may still have the early style fuel pump that does not have the spout and hose just a weep hole in the base. Replacing one of these before it leaks is a very good idea.

Also be sure to check the engine oil to see if any gas has leaked into the engine. If so, change the oil and filter before running the engine.

tommyhawk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Ok, the carburetor on the 345 you have has a fuel vent outlet on the right side when you are facing the engine from the front. That hose that is connected to this vent pipe is long enough to go into a hole in the lower frame. However, you have a bigger problem here and that is the carburetor has blown the diaphragm and is pumping fuel out the vent pipe and down. Remove the

Here is a picture of my 1999 JD 345 with the FD611V Kaw. engine NOTE: Please connect your vent pipe hose as I have done.

Last edited by kbeaag; 07-31-2018 at 06:24 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-01-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Fuel pump is shot.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader