Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: X738 delivered with low hydraulic fluid

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks

X738 delivered with low hydraulic fluid

Checked my transmission level today and low and behold there was no fluid on the dip stick. Not even if you screw the dip stick down all the way. Dealer is coming out to fix the problem.

I know this isn't the first time I've heard of this on these tractors being brand new and low on fluid. I'm annoyed that this seems like a regular problem. I'm not too worried about gear damage it only has 3 hours on it but you still have that nagging mental note of "oh hey there was that time when it was brand new and was low on fluid."
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Checked my transmission level today and low and behold there was no fluid on the dip stick. Not even if you screw the dip stick down all the way. Dealer is coming out to fix the problem.

I know this isn't the first time I've heard of this on these tractors being brand new and low on fluid. I'm annoyed that this seems like a regular problem. I'm not too worried about gear damage it only has 3 hours on it but you still have that nagging mental note of "oh hey there was that time when it was brand new and was low on fluid."
    Hopefully, it's just off the dipstick. And that can happen on these machines if they also prepped a front quick hitch with hydraulic hoses or any other attachments which require the hydraulic hoses be attached and filled to operate.

When filling the Tuff Torq rear end when it's low like yours, it's important to "sneak up on it" with little fluid additions, check it, add a little more, check it as suddenly, it will be full. You don't want to over fill and it's very easy when trying to "top off" and you have no idea how much fluid is in there.

I would bet it's less than a quart low. On something that holds 2 gallons plus, just being a quart low will pull the fluid level off the dipstick. Keep a close eye on it once you have topped it off to make sure it stays there. Usually, it will leave puddles if it's leaking and leaks on these machines when new are very rare unless someone loosened something and failed to tighten it at the dealership.

Since the dealer is addressing it, just make sure it's actually documented in your records in case there is a future event. That rear end assembly is very tough and frankly, hard to damage. I can safely say that you have a 99.998 percent chance that everything is going to be just fine.

Enjoy your new machine.....

Oh, BTW, check your tire pressure as they are often over inflated and make the ride more harsh. Also, check the torque on your wheel bolts to make sure they are properly torqued once you have put 10 hours on the tractor. Then, check the lugs again when you change the oil and hydro.

One other reminder, ONLY use Low Viscosity Hydro Fluid in your tractor's hydraulic system. Don't be tempted to use less expensive "hydro fluid" as the Deere works the best with the Low Viscosity Hydro fluid. I buy the Low Vis in 5 gallon buckets as it's the best price and also the container works well for disposing of your old oil and hydro fluid for recycling. Many dealers have sales in August and February where their fluid and filters are on sale, saving you some money.......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

bobsphotos (08-02-2018), CJadamec (08-02-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I agree I'm not all that worried about any damage I work on operating and maintaining large industrial machinery for a living and have seen many a gear box be just fine after it ran low for a while due to a leak or some other reason.

They did add the hydraulic 3PH to the machine so I'm fairly sure that's why its shown up as low. At 3 hours I've managed to cycle all the fluids and purge all the air out of the system. I would have assumed they as the dealer would have done something like this and function check and purge the hydraulics. They are making it right though and managed to make it out the day after I called them.

So other than some mild frustration all is well. If anything hopefully this just serves as a reminder for people to check there hydro fluid.

The tips on the tire pressure and lug nut torque are appreciated. I'm still just learning and getting used to this machine and all the things it can do. I'm planning on getting some good alone time with it when I do the 8hr oil change and really look into whats where on the machine.

I've already found a very nice surprise in that I have the auto connect driveshaft on my mower deck. It wasn't listed on any of my paper work as included with the machine. I bought the machine off the showroom floor so they must not have realized that was on there when they wrote up the deal. Its not something I would have bought but man does it make taking the deck off insanely easy.
    SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    When my X739 was delivered it showed flluid low on the dip stick. I added fluid to the proper level. After the first mowing there was no fluid on the dip stick. After again filling it to the proper level, it stayed at that level until the 50 hour service.

The same thing happened after the 50 hour service. Fluid was at the proper level on the dip stick, but after the next mowing there was no fluid on the dip stick. It has been fine since.

There can be alot of air in the all wheel drive models that has to get worked of the system. I did not expect my dealer to run the tractor for sever hours before delivery to get the air worked out.
    arlen and kylew like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    When I had my X738 my transaxle fluid was very low when it was delivered, too. I cannot remember exactly how low but it wasn't on the dipstick either. The dealership gave me all the fluid that I wanted to get it up to where it was supposed to be. My dealership said that that a cause of this may be in adding on implements (snowblower, quickhitch, etc.). Once I got it filled to its proper level, it stayed there without any issues.
    kylew likes this.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)
    3 pt sprayer (Northern Tool)
    3 pt plug aerator (DR Equipment),
    54" Quichitch (DL) de-thatcher (JD)
    Ken's Bolt-on-Hooks
    Stihl chainsaws, brushcutter, blower, trimmer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    When I had my X738 my transaxle fluid was very low when it was delivered, too. I cannot remember exactly how low but it wasn't on the dipstick either. The dealership gave me all the fluid that I wanted to get it up to where it was supposed to be. My dealership said that that a cause of this may be in adding on implements (snowblower, quickhitch, etc.). Once I got it filled to its proper level, it stayed there without any issues.
    Did the dealer add the implements or did you? Normally if you purchase a snowblower or front quick hitch with the tractor the dealer assembles and tests them on your tractor. As such, you would think by now they would know that adding a hydraulic implement drains some fluid from the sump.

Normally I would figure the first thing a dealer would ask when a new owner reports a low fluid level is "did you add any implement because it was full when it left the shop". If the dealer tested the implements and delivered it with a low fluid level then shame on them as there is no excuse.

It sounds like the delivery guys don't even go over how to check the transmission fluid upon delivery else they would have discovered it right away.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    There can be alot of air in the all wheel drive models that has to get worked of the system. I did not expect my dealer to run the tractor for sever hours before delivery to get the air worked out.
    I can understand this after a service/fluid change but typically there isn't any air in the system from the factory.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Did the dealer add the implements or did you? Normally if you purchase a snowblower or front quick hitch with the tractor the dealer assembles and tests them on your tractor. As such, you would think by now they would know that adding a hydraulic implement drains some fluid from the sump.

Normally I would figure the first thing a dealer would ask when a new owner reports a low fluid level is "did you add any implement because it was full when it left the shop". If the dealer tested the implements and delivered it with a low fluid level then shame on them as there is no excuse.

It sounds like the delivery guys don't even go over how to check the transmission fluid upon delivery else they would have discovered it right away.
    The dealership added all of my attachments. My dealership has several locations and all of their setups come out of 1 main location. The manager at this location said this was not the first time they have dealt with this incomplete and low fluid issue. He also told me that once the machines are set up they are shipped out to the dealerships to be delivered by a local dealership delivery person.

Seems kind of awkward and strange, too, because the delivery guy used to be a mechanic at the dealership for a lot of years.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)
    3 pt sprayer (Northern Tool)
    3 pt plug aerator (DR Equipment),
    54" Quichitch (DL) de-thatcher (JD)
    Ken's Bolt-on-Hooks
    Stihl chainsaws, brushcutter, blower, trimmer

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    The dealership added all of my attachments. My dealership has several locations and all of their setups come out of 1 main location. The manager at this location said this was not the first time they have dealt with this incomplete and low fluid issue.
    So they know about the issue but still no memo to the shop and delivery folks to verify fluid levels prior to final delivery.

I hate to see what these guys do with larger tractors with loaders and other hydraulic implements that really suck up the fluid.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    As I mentioned my dealer installed the 3PH on my tractor which involved altering the hydraulic system. They told me repeatedly that they topped of and checked all fluids prior to delivery while they were selling me the tractor and when they delivered it. To their credit when I presented the issue to them they came back out to correct the issue no questions asked... well other than to make sure I knew how to read a dipstick but that's a fair question.

Open Hydro systems take sometime to properly bleed air after you install new components. Bleeding the air should only take 10-15 mins max if you run all the hydro systems stop to stop a few times. Also in this case with the AWD drive the tractor around the parking lot a few times including some time in reverse. A short test run like that should get 90+% of any air in the system out of the system. It certainly wouldn't take hours of run time.

I've rebuilt cylinders and done hose repairs to my father in-law's 310D back hoe. That's a 17,000 lbs machine with many gallons of fluid in the hydro system. Even after pulling and repairing the extenda-hoe cylinder, which is one of the longer cylinders on the tractor, the system was purged of air in just a few minutes. There's no mystery to it you just have to cycle the system it does all the work for you.

So if for nothing else this should just be a reminder to check your fluids even when you have been assured by the dealer they are OK. It only takes a minute and it can save you lots of time and money down the road.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast