Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 445 rear 540 PTO assembly

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-07-2019 @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks

445 rear 540 PTO assembly

Hi all! Just recently bought a rear 540 PTO kit for my John Deere 445 and the cover was damaged. I found and bought another cover, but when attempting to disassemble the original, I could only get it to come partway apart (without forcing anything and taking a chance on damaging anything else!). Unfortunately, while I was wiggling and pulling to get the outer cover off some gears fell out and other things and now I have no idea how they go back in! I've googled for 3 hours and cannot find any pictures or explosion views of this thing to see how it all goes back together! Can anyone steer me in the right direction or help me out here, please? Anything would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Here is the 540 PTO unit illustration & parts list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4X5 Rear 540 PTO Illustration.JPG 4X5 Rear PTO parts List P1.JPG 4X5 Rear PTO parts List P2.JPG
    SulleyBear and kylew like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks much!

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks much!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Continuing saga of 445 PTO

Thanks, all! I have the PTO reassembled and ready to put on, which seems to be fairly straightforward and easy, but now have run into a snag on page 3, where it talks about plugging the PTO module into the AM121071 Wire Harness that I don't have! I found the Yellow and Blue wires that are connected, but not the 3-pin and 4-pin connectors that are supposed to be there! Thought about buying a newer wiring harness and rewiring the entire tractor, but that seems like a nightmare of epic proportions and don't think it will solve anything, because I'd then need a PTO jump wire that's also not available!

So, it looks like the missing wiring harness is going to put this project on hold till I can find this elusive AM121071 Wire Harness. Now, I'm wondering, can I go ahead and finish putting the rear unit back together and at least button it up to use the tractor for mowing? If it's possible, should I reattach the wire that plugs in to the rear of the PTO cover? What, exactly, does that thing do? If I hadn't taken all the plugs and stuff out of the original cover and installed everything into the new PTO cover I'd just pop that back on and go. I'm thinking I could just use it like it didn't have the rear PTO kit bolted on for now, till I can find the needed harness, right?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    My guess is the switches tell the module which PTO is running. It then tells the dash what light to turn ON.

I would put it together
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks!

I intend to do just that! ;)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,403 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwivhobbit View Post
    Thanks, all! I have the PTO reassembled and ready to put on, which seems to be fairly straightforward and easy, but now have run into a snag on page 3, where it talks about plugging the PTO module into the AM121071 Wire Harness that I don't have! I found the Yellow and Blue wires that are connected, but not the 3-pin and 4-pin connectors that are supposed to be there! Thought about buying a newer wiring harness and rewiring the entire tractor, but that seems like a nightmare of epic proportions and don't think it will solve anything, because I'd then need a PTO jump wire that's also not available!

So, it looks like the missing wiring harness is going to put this project on hold till I can find this elusive AM121071 Wire Harness.

Now, I'm wondering, can I go ahead and finish putting the rear unit back together and at least button it up to use the tractor for mowing? YES

If it's possible, should I reattach the wire that plugs in to the rear of the PTO cover? YES

What, exactly, does that thing do? If we are talking about the same thing, its a switch which indicates the PTO is operating and also part of the Safety Switch system which should disengage the PTO if you are not on the machine, etc.

If I hadn't taken all the plugs and stuff out of the original cover and installed everything into the new PTO cover I'd just pop that back on and go. I'm thinking I could just use it like it didn't have the rear PTO kit bolted on for now, till I can find the needed harness, right? Sure would seem so.
    See my answers in RED.

Trying to rewire the tractor entirely is not only a MASSIVE project, its expensive.

Just a question, how did you end up with a rear PTO kit without the necessary wiring harnesses? Was it a take off of a parted out machine? If so, that machine should have the harness you need.........

Make certain if you run the machine and the front PTO (Mid PTO which drives the mower) that your selector lever for the PTO you just installed is positioned for just the original PTO shaft to drive your deck.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn your rear PTO works without the harness, its just that it might not work as it should without the safety switches. In other words, when you engage the PTO yellow knob on the dash and the lever is positioned to drive the new rear PTO, I would imagine that it would spin without the wiring harness. The only problem is that it might not stop spinning once you need it to from a safety perspective which is something you want to be aware of.

Generally, when you engage the PTO switch, it releases the PTO brake and allows the PTO clutch to engage because of the valve routing fluid to the clutch and lifting the brake band within the rear end assembly permitting the clutch to spin. If you have the lever positioned to drive the front PTO or the rear PTO and the PTO actually engages when you lift the yellow switch knob, I would imagine either would work. Problem is, the rear PTO won't have the ability to sense the need to stop it should you exit the machine. Also, the PTO light on your dash will probably illuminate and there isn't anything on the dash of that machine that I know of which will indicate the difference between Mid PTO and Rear PTO being in operation, like there is on some other newer machines.

Just be very careful with what you are doing. Since the parts you added work off the same activation as the Mid PTO, and it's just the physical position of the lever which determines whether it's the mid PTO or rear PTO which is spinning, proceed carefully. Also, make sure the PTO shaft has stopped spinning before engaging the lever to change from mid to rear PTO as that will cause damage for sure if you attempt to switch the choice of driver output shaft without the inner workings having stopped completely.

Let us know what you find out......

Also, what did you find about the harness you need? Not available or have to order it. etc.? This image shows the harness you need, I am pretty sure....the image is in the box on the right and you have to navigate within the box to see it, but it should be what you need.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePa geServlet_Alt?wvsessionid=cd61738c15014d68a479d510 a2188599
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,403 Posts
    From what I can see, you are going to have a couple of choices for your AM121071 wiring harness.

Where I would start...

First, John Deere shows the prt number AM121071 as NLA (No Longer Available). There are places who sell close out parts online. Your dealer can run a "Machine Down" parts request and it checks every participating dealer's inventory and it also checks with after market and third party sources for parts availability for New Old stock and hard to find parts. That is where you should start before you go much further......If they simply can't find what you need, then take the next steps necessary. But the dealers parts counter and their ability to search is pretty thorough for searching "NEW" "Official" and related John Deere parts sources. Personally go to the dealer to do this, don't expect them to do this over the phone as it takes some time and if you are there in person, they know you are serious. If you try to do this over the phone they might just check their store inventory and tell you "Nope, sorry". A really goods parts counter person can be very helpful in this situation.

Second, find a used one. Problem is the rest of the parts as a kit won't work without it, so you very unlikely to get someone to split the harness out of a tractor with the REAR PTO without the rest of the parts. While someone may need the gears or rear plate and pieces, anyone looking to add the rear PTO to a machine without it is stuck without the harness (as you now find yourself) so getting a used one is going to be TOUGH.......

You have gotten the kit from someone. Did they have the harness on their machine or available? Where did you get the replacement plate you needed as that raises the very same issues about that unit having the wiring harness you need?

Third, you could make the harness and buy the relay needed separately. You will need the schematics for the tractor to know how to do this correctly and you will need the connectors to snap in the harness. You can buy the connectors to work with your OEM harness and you should make sure to use them to have this done correctly. But before getting into this too far, find out exactly what you need in terms of other relays or switches as that can be a stumbling block even once you have the harness made.

Be extremely careful about "Splicing in" a self made harness into your tractor's harness if you can't locate the connectors. Once you start cutting into factory harnesses to add something like this, you are opening your set up to a bunch of new problems now and down the road. From corrosion to short circuiting something, a lot can go wrong doing this.....

If I were in your shoes, I would get my hands on a John Deere Factory Technical Service Manual with the full tractor wiring diagrams and schematics and use that to build the harness you need if steps one and two don't pan out.
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    From what I can see, you are going to have a couple of choices for your AM121071 wiring harness.

Where I would start...

First, John Deere shows the prt number AM121071 as NLA (No Longer Available). There are places who sell close out parts online. Your dealer can run a "Machine Down" parts request and it checks every participating dealer's inventory and it also checks with after market and third party sources for parts availability for New Old stock and hard to find parts. That is where you should start before you go much further......If they simply can't find what you need, then take the next steps necessary. But the dealers parts counter and their ability to search is pretty thorough for searching "NEW" "Official" and related John Deere parts sources. Personally go to the dealer to do this, don't expect them to do this over the phone as it takes some time and if you are there in person, they know you are serious. If you try to do this over the phone they might just check their store inventory and tell you "Nope, sorry". A really goods parts counter person can be very helpful in this situation.

I have been to one dealer and the parts counter guy just told me that anything for that is no longer available and didn't seem interested in going any further. I do have one other dealer a bit further away that I'm going to go see, tho.

Second, find a used one. Problem is the rest of the parts as a kit won't work without it, so you very unlikely to get someone to split the harness out of a tractor with the REAR PTO without the rest of the parts. While someone may need the gears or rear plate and pieces, anyone looking to add the rear PTO to a machine without it is stuck without the harness (as you now find yourself) so getting a used one is going to be TOUGH.......

You have gotten the kit from someone. Did they have the harness on their machine or available? Where did you get the replacement plate you needed as that raises the very same issues about that unit having the wiring harness you need?

I'm not sure how he happened to be in possession of this unit, but it was the only one I could find at the time (after looking for about 2 months), and it was only available for local pickup (in Texas, and I'm in NY), but I managed to get him to ship it to me. He was very helpful and double checked my serial number with his sources, etc, and sent the PTO module for it, but that was the only electrical item in the box. He said it came off a newer tractor that didn't need the harness and never had one. Of course, this was just in the last day or so, when I discovered I needed it!

Third, you could make the harness and buy the relay needed separately. You will need the schematics for the tractor to know how to do this correctly and you will need the connectors to snap in the harness. You can buy the connectors to work with your OEM harness and you should make sure to use them to have this done correctly. But before getting into this too far, find out exactly what you need in terms of other relays or switches as that can be a stumbling block even once you have the harness made.

Be extremely careful about "Splicing in" a self made harness into your tractor's harness if you can't locate the connectors. Once you start cutting into factory harnesses to add something like this, you are opening your set up to a bunch of new problems now and down the road. From corrosion to short circuiting something, a lot can go wrong doing this.....

I spent a number of years installing car stereos and HATE people who cut and hack wiring, so that will not happen! ;)

If I were in your shoes, I would get my hands on a John Deere Factory Technical Service Manual with the full tractor wiring diagrams and schematics and use that to build the harness you need if steps one and two don't pan out.
    I bought a Technical cd, but really would like to get the printed copy! Thanks so much for your helpful input!
    Last edited by wwivhobbit; 08-07-2018 at 01:32 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post

Just a question, how did you end up with a rear PTO kit without the necessary wiring harnesses? Was it a take off of a parted out machine? If so, that machine should have the harness you need.........

I think the answer is there was a serial number break and newer tractors did not require the harness. And he has the older tractor, but bought a kit for a newer model.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast