Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Towing garden tractors & ZTRs with hydro transmissions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,221 Posts

Towing garden tractors & ZTRs with hydro transmissions

One of our neighbors had their ZTR quit while mowing a field that was a fair distance from the house. Fortunately they were able to get it going but it got me thinking about how to get a disabled hydro tractor back to the house. I've checked the operator's manuals for several different tractors and ZTRs and while they all have bypass levers for the transmission the manuals all state that it is only to be used to move the machine a short distance by hand. All the operator's manuals have pretty strong warnings to never tow the tractor with another machine or you risk serious transmission damage.

So... how do you get your garden tractor or ZTR back to the house if it dies in the back forty?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    The reason it probably says that is because of lack of lubrication to the parts. You could pick up the rear end and tow it, or even crank the engine to help distribute fluid to the bearings and such.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like it's time to build a tractor dolly like used to tow cars behind other vehicles.
    But what if it's a 4x4?
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    The trouble is, most people dont tow slow. And they dont make sure the hydros are actually fully released.
    Weve had this discussion several times over on WFM over the years.
    The general consensus is, if you must tow it, and sometimes you must, make SURE the hydros are released. Make sure they dont "un" release while towing. And go SLOW.

On my Exmark, the hydro motors each have a "bolt" you screw in or out to release/engage each motor. When released, it freewheels.
    My 318 doesnt like to be towed far. It has a lever to release the pressure, but you have to check it every once in a while, because it will sometimes build pressure while being towed.

If you can go slow, like under 5mph (personally, Id say 2-3mph max, but thats me), it shouldnt be an issue. If you cant, you are likely to have issues.
    If you tow at all without releasing them, you are likely to have issues.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    The reason it probably says that is because of lack of lubrication to the parts. You could pick up the rear end and tow it, or even crank the engine to help distribute fluid to the bearings and such.
    Pick up the rear of your 700 lb garden tractor? With what? Remember, it died a long way from the house. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    If you can go slow, like under 5mph (personally, Id say 2-3mph max, but thats me), it shouldnt be an issue. If you cant, you are likely to have issues. If you tow at all without releasing them, you are likely to have issues.
    I agree, towing any hydro without activating the bypass is asking for trouble. I was just surprised that all the manuals say not to tow with another tractor even with the transmission in bypass mode.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Agree.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Learned something here......I would have towed my hydros out of gear and thought nothing of it.
    Love this forum and the people that make it up
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Once the hydro is disengaged, tow the machine slow only far a short distance, then take a break before towing again. This will allow the internal parts to stay cool without being damage.
    fdmars, jgayman and SulleyBear like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    Learned something here......I would have towed my hydros out of gear and thought nothing of it.
    Love this forum and the people that make it up
    There seems to be a difference between garden tractors and SCUT/CUT machines. All the garden tractor manuals I've read say to never ever tow under any circumstance. Whereas the SCUT/CUT manuals I checked simply say to use caution. Even the X700-series has the same language as the smaller machines.

• Move machine by hand only.
    • Do not use another vehicle to move machine.
    • Do not tow machine.

My 2720 manual says to put the tractor in neutral and tow for short distances not exceeding 10 MPH. I checked a newer 2038R manual and it says you can tow but not to exceed 6 MPH. The 3033R manual says not to exceed 10 MPH.

So there must be something about the transaxles used in smaller machines that makes the more susceptible to towing damage.
    fdmars likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I think most of you are reading the manuals wrong. John Deere or any other manufacturer refers to "towing" as pulling it behind a vehicle at 50 mph. All the JDZTR's and most lawn tractors have a release valve so the hydros that free the gears so they can be moved freely. I would think that means any disabled tractor can be pulled by another tractor some distance, but, not at high speed.

I own a 1949 Ford 8N that has the 3 point hitch assembly, with a tow bar with holes it in, I can back up to the rear of my Z710A and JD 345 that has a hitch plate bolted to the rear and raise anyone that needs towed to the garage for repairs. Simple, simple .

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast