• 1 Post By Chuckv
  • 1 Post By VAJDX534

Thread: X500 Series Tilt Steering Problems

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-11-2015 @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks

X500 Series Tilt Steering Problems

I have a X534 and I was wondering if anyone has had problems adjusting their tilt steering. I have pulled up on the lever but it does nothing. I don't know if something is broken or maybe just needs lubricating. Anyone have advise?

thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    On my X495 the tilt adjust is a lever that rotates relative to the steering column -- it does not pull up toward the rim of the steering wheel like many automobiles. Your tractor may be different so check the operating manual which Deere has posted online for most contemporary models of their equipment.

I downloaded my manual sections by simply printing to PDF files so I can show you an illustration from my X495 documentation...sorry for the poor quality of the enlargement.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tilt adjust.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	39308

Hope this is of some help...

Chuck
    farmgirl19 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    On my X495 the tilt adjust is a lever that rotates relative to the steering column -- it does not pull up toward the rim of the steering wheel like many automobiles. Your tractor may be different so check the operating manual which Deere has posted online for most contemporary models of their equipment.

I downloaded my manual sections by simply printing to PDF files so I can show you an illustration from my X495 documentation...sorry for the poor quality of the enlargement.

Name:	tilt adjust.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	39308

Hope this is of some help...

Chuck
    Yea, I did check and below is from the manual. Dag on thing just doesn't want to budge and I don't want to break it. Any other idea???

Steering wheel has five tilt positions:

MXAL45983
    MXAL45983-UN-09APR13

Name:	MXAL45983.gif 
Views:	16 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	39312

• Lift and hold lever (A) up and move wheel to a comfortable operating position.
    • Release lever and move wheel slightly up or down until lever drops into the nearest position and locks wheel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, that is very different from my X495 tractor which is a 2004 model year. Maybe another member here with direct experiences on your model can chime in. You might also try to learn something from the exploded parts views in JDParts as seen here:

Name:	x534 steereing  MP38649________UN04OCT06.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	39328

The release lever, pawl and sector lock are shown as component parts...see if they all move as they should when you pull up on the lever.

Chuck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, that is very different from my X495 tractor which is a 2004 model year. Maybe another member here with direct experiences on your model can chime in. You might also try to learn something from the exploded parts views in JDParts as seen here:

Name:	x534 steereing  MP38649________UN04OCT06.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	39328

The release lever, pawl and sector lock are shown as component parts...see if they all move as they should when you pull up on the lever.

Chuck
    My tractor is a 2009 model. Hopefully someone will run across this topic with some words of wisdom. Thanks again for the input...

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Any other ideas from anyone? Any help would be great. I just can't get this dang thing to adjust. I don't know if something just needs lubrication or something is in a bind. thanks guys.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, I finally took advantage of a great weathered day and did some digging into my tractor. I had to remove the steering wheel to gain access to the tilt steering. From there (and a whole lot of lubricate) I was able to free the tilt. I guess it hadn't been used is so long, it "froze" into one position. I now have use of all 5 positions of the tilt. Thanks again to everyone with their advice.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you got it working. Was the tractor stored a lot outside? Pressure washing can also be detrimental in terms of removing lubricant and causing things to become stuck with light rust. Storing inside or at least under cover can be of help in keeping things free to move...

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 02-07-2015 at 04:02 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you got it working. Was the tractor stored a lot outside? Pressure washing can also be detrimental in terms of removing lubricant and causing things to become stuck with light rust. Storing inside or at least under cover can be of help in keeping things free to move...

Chuck
    No, tractor has been under cover. There was no rust what so ever. I just don't think the tilt was used - maybe never used. I works very easily now with no effort at all. I just had to dismantle the entire dash assembly to get to it, but it was no big deal. Thanks all for the help and advise.
    farmgirl19 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements