D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty

I Know, I know,I know,
    The K46 transmission is trash.
    Well after 100 hrs of use our transmission failed on the tractor. It has the standard problem of running good for 10-15 mins and then it won't go up a hill at all ( even a 4 degree straight slope)
    The tractor is 3 years old and due to it being over 2 years old JD says it has no warranty.It has a babied life of dealer service at 25 and 80 hrs with no issues at all.
    Has anyone had any luck with filing a case with JD and seeing if they absorb the cost of replacing it?

Second to that,they will replace it with the same trashy transmission not the K66 that doesn't miss a beat. When/if that is done I do not have high hopes the new one will last any longer than the original one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks

You didn't ask this but...

If you are mechanically inclined, you can most likely fix it with a few hours of your time and the cost of a few sheets of ultrafine wet/dry sanding paper and a few quarts of synthetic oil.

There a number of how-to's out there if you search on the subject

Best of luck.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    I would upgrade. Either fix and sell, or sell "as is" for parts or someone else to fix "Mechanic's special"
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Your title is a bit misleading. It should read "D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty".

The warranty on these tractors is 2 years or 120 hours, whichever comes first. I will admit that it probably shouldn't have failed this early but it is a year out of warranty. I'm not sure what you expected JD to do.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    Have you checked the traction drive belt? Might just be a worn belt.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    First off, check what xcopterdoc suggests-if no luck there...

For clarification, you say JD says no to warranty then ask if you should open up a case with JD? Do you mean that the dealer declined to cover the repairs under warranty or that actually JD has declined? I’d say by all means talk to Deere and ask them to intervene if it’s the dealer that’s talking-but if Deere has already declined then opening a case won’t probably get you anything.

If no case and no warranty solution is to be found I’d suggest going the route denverguy suggests and try repairing it yourself. I have a 14 year old L130 with ~735 hours on my K46, it’s holding up very strongly after I rehabbed the trans-it’s not terribly difficult and is usually at least successful in getting some additional life from them.
    Last edited by balrog006; 08-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Your title is a bit misleading. It should read "D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty".

The warranty on these tractors is 2 years or 120 hours, whichever comes first. I will admit that it probably shouldn't have failed this early but it is a year out of warranty. I'm not sure what you expected JD to do.
    Good suggestion. Edited the title.
    DRobinson likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Good suggestion. Edited the title.

Sorry if I have offended the powers that be by stating the K46 transmission failed "improperly".

Yes it should not if failed at 100 hrs and yes I have asked JD to cover the repair and have opened a case with them about the issue.
    1010 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MOA View Post
    Sorry if I have offended the powers that be by stating the K46 transmission failed "improperly".

Yes it should not if failed at 100 hrs and yes I have asked JD to cover the repair and have opened a case with them about the issue.
    Sorry if you misunderstood my suggestion. I was mainly thinking of other folks who might get to this thread from a search. In JD's eyes failing at 1 year and 100 hrs is a lot different than 3 years and 100 hrs. Even failing at 2 years and 130 hrs is different.

But I think we all agree that it failed prematurely. Hopefully in the end JD agrees as well.
    1MOA likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MOA View Post

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand your expectations in this situation. So, to what extent do you think Deere should be responsible for the cost of the repairs and why?

That Deere Fully cover all the costs?

50/50% ?

Deere paying 20% of the cost, since it's 20% under the warranty hour limit?

Is it simply because the unit is 20% under the 120 hour limit, yet 50% over the warranty time limit?

In your opinion, what would be the fair thing for Deere to do in this situation and why?

Being that the machine is a year out of warranty, even though it is below the hours, personally I would be very surprised if Deere would pay anything towards the cost to repair this.

The good news is that it appears You can buy the entire assembly for under $400 from a number of sources. If Deere doesn't honor the "case request", at least the parts are widely available and inexpensive, Heck, even Amazon sells parts for the K46.

Have you been to the Tuff Torq website, the maker of the K46?

K46 - Tuff Torq Corporation

Their parts illustrations and assembly illustration were helpful in working on their products. Here is a basic troubleshooting guide for the Tuff torq products.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/ins...EN_23DEC08.pdf

Tuff Torq also has stated on their website that many of the "Well Meaning Blogs" and other information sources on the internet are directing people on "money saving repairs" and "easier fixes" which apparently don't involve replacing all of the parts which might be worn. Make sure to read this regarding any repairs to be made on your machine. They are offering the suggested parts replacement list in a Kit form, which would be a great place to start if you are not going to simply swap out the entire assembly. Also, Tuff Torq has this page about making repairs to the assembly which is worth reading.....

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/ins...losspower.html

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Herminator (08-17-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast