Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New x758 3PH Help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks

New x758 3PH Help

New x758 3PH Help!
    Trying not to get too ****** off and make irrational decisions so any input would be appreciated. My son has been in the ICU in Cincinnati for over a month now and I was recently home for work and took delivery of my new x758 (traded in an x738). Decided to try and mow real quick before heading back up. About 5 minutes into mowing I ran over something and it sounded like a gun went off. I stopped the mower and realized the dealership didn't tighten the new front roller on the 54" HC deck and it came undone and I ran over/mowed it. I removed what was left of the roller and tried to finish mowing so I could make the 10 hour drive back to Cinci. The deck then decided it didn't want to move at all and it is now stuck in the high position. I am 100% certain this comes from the dealership doing a poor job installing the kit needed to operate a 3PH on the x758. I noticed while checking out the x758 at the dealership when it arrived the deck had been acting weird by being jerky and sometimes not lowering after the 3PH had lowered. I called my salesperson (who is a great dude) and told him to come pick up the x758 and fix it ASAP and give me back the x738 so I can continue taking care of my property. A couple questions I could really use some guidance on:

1) For anyone who has an x7 series and added a 3PH - did your mower deck operate any differently after adding the 3PH? As in it only worked some of the time, became jerky, etc? My x738 has a smooth up and down motion. When the x758 deck reaches the top, it moves sideways which I don't believe should be happening. Sometimes its jerky, then sometimes it does not respond at all.

2) Can anyone explain how 1 cylinder can operate two different implements (3PH and deck)?

3) Deere has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Due to my son's medical issues, I paid for the machine at the end of July but just took delivery August 18th. Does anyone know for certain if the 30 day window starts when the machine is paid for or when you take delivery? I do not want to be stuck with a malfunctioning tractor and be at the mercy of the dealership for constant repairs (been down that road). Long story short I have more important things going on (son's health) and I might just return the thing and not deal with it. I want to give them a chance to make it right but not at the expense of me missing the return deadline.

Appreciate any thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0208.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just looked at the installation guide for the 3PH. I assume it works with one cylinder because the lift strap that is added only really engages the deck when it has been fully extended. So I guess when the cylinder is activated it extends and immediately moves the 3PH but it lags on the deck until it has traveled all the way down the lift strap channel and finally reaches the end at which point the deck is engaged. This makes sense as to why the 3PH has no lag but the deck does (in both directions). Can anyone confirm this? I'm just trying to troubleshoot why the deck sometimes does not respond to the cylinder.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Your Lock out Valve should be open all the way for both 3point and Mid Mount Mower applications
    Are you removing your 3point when mowing ?
    Or are You Locking the 3 point Up with the depth Stop?
    Do You Lock Your deck Up to 5 or 5 1/4 ?
    The deck is usually slow to respond after it has Been Locked Up for a while or if Your leaving the 3 point On and Not Locking the 3 point depth stop up to Prevent movement of the 3 point hitch:

The 3point Hitches and Mowing decks use the same Hydraulic cylinder. If Your Not using a 3point Hitch On these style tractors the Hydraulic cylinder is Located In a different Position which Deere Has been doing on the X700 series since 2010. So when a 3 point is added the Hydraulic cylinder is Moved from under the left fender deck to a Mid Mounted Position in order to run the 3point Hitch and the Mowing deck originally Deere Left the Hydraulic cylinder In the Mid Mounted Position Prior to 2010. The Moved do to the weight of the 60D 7 Iron and with the weight of the 60 auto-connect they left it In the forward Position. But if Using a 3point it Gets Moved to the Mid Position

In order to use One cylinder You Have to Lock one or the other Up Into Position Deere Has Been Using that concept since the 1960's as well as Many other Manufacturers. You Lock the deck up to use the 3point Hitch You Lock the 3point hitch Up to use the mowing deck.

30 days usually starts when it was delivered But If You paid it off In One Payment But didn't Take delivery. That will be Up to Deere On that

It sounds Like to Me You Not locking your 3point Up when using the deck. and the deck will preform Poorly if the 3point is Moving at the same time.

I usually encounter a slow Operating deck after leaving it in the Lock Up position of 5 or 5 1/4 for a period of Time or if I don't Take off the 3point hitch or don't Lock the 3point in the Up Position
    Last edited by Sergeant; 08-19-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Sergeant. Let me see if I can address your comments:

The mower does not have the add-on lockout valve that is used to stop the hydraulic fluid from flowing to the back cylinder that operates the deck/3PH. I had one on my previous unit which was helpful running a front blade but not on this one yet.

I took the box blade off and then mowed but did not remove the 3PH arms. Nor did I adjust any depth stops for the 3PH and I set the deck height selector at 2" while mowing. I assume this method would make the deck function lag, but not completely stop all together. Am I thinking about this wrong? I have no problem with a lag, but do have a problem with it not responding altogether.

I am doing John Deere 60 month financing and I have asked them what the deadline is and they said they'd check on it. Never heard back so I'll be calling first thing Monday morning and asking again.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Your Lock out Valve should be open all the way for both 3point and Mid Mount Mower applications
    Are you removing your 3point when mowing ?
    Or are You Locking the 3 point Up with the depth Stop?
    Do You Lock Your deck Up to 5 or 5 1/4 ?
    The deck is usually slow to respond after it has Been Locked Up for a while or if Your leaving the 3 point On and Not Locking the 3 point depth stop up to Prevent movement of the 3 point hitch:

The 3point Hitches and Mowing decks use the same Hydraulic cylinder. If Your Not using a 3point Hitch On these style tractors the Hydraulic cylinder is Located In a different Position which Deere Has been doing on the X700 series since 2010. So when a 3 point is added the Hydraulic cylinder is Moved from under the left fender deck to a Mid Mounted Position in order to run the 3point Hitch and the Mowing deck originally Deere Left the Hydraulic cylinder In the Mid Mounted Position Prior to 2010. The Moved do to the weight of the 60D 7 Iron and with the weight of the 60 auto-connect they left it In the forward Position. But if Using a 3point it Gets Moved to the Mid Position

In order to use One cylinder You Have to Lock one or the other Up Into Position Deere Has Been Using that concept since the 1960's as well as Many other Manufacturers. You Lock the deck up to use the 3point Hitch You Lock the 3point hitch Up to use the mowing deck.

30 days usually starts when it was delivered But If You paid it off In One Payment But didn't Take delivery. That will be Up to Deere On that

It sounds Like to Me You Not locking your 3point Up when using the deck. and the deck will preform Poorly if the 3point is Moving at the same time.

I usually encounter a slow Operating deck after leaving it in the Lock Up position of 5 or 5 1/4 for a period of Time or if I don't Take off the 3point hitch or don't Lock the 3point in the Up Position

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Probably obvious but remember when the deck hits the height adjustment stop, the cylinder will keep traveling if you don't take hand off SCV. This would cause a delay when picking up the deck height as the cylinder is moving but not at point to raise the deck off the height stop. I don't see why this should be different from 738 to 758. I agree dealer needs to take another look. There are a couple of narrow spots where the deck lift strap travels that are narrow and may be able to bind.

Good luck getting fixed and with son's health.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieLee24 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Sergeant. Let me see if I can address your comments:

The mower does not have the add-on lockout valve that is used to stop the hydraulic fluid from flowing to the back cylinder that operates the deck/3PH. I had one on my previous unit which was helpful running a front blade but not on this one yet.

I took the box blade off and then mowed but did not remove the 3PH arms. Nor did I adjust any depth stops for the 3PH and I set the deck height selector at 2" while mowing. I assume this method would make the deck function lag, but not completely stop all together. Am I thinking about this wrong? I have no problem with a lag, but do have a problem with it not responding altogether.

I am doing John Deere 60 month financing and I have asked them what the deadline is and they said they'd check on it. Never heard back so I'll be calling first thing Monday morning and asking again.

Thanks a lot!
    Not responding altogether That is something else Than what You originally stated above

Well see what the dealer come up with a Pin could Have slipped Out Because Not functioning at all is not normal

But I suggest In future when using your 3 Point set You deck height selector to 5 or Guessing a 1/4 inch movement beyond 5.

When Leaving the 3point On In future Lock It in the Up Position with the 3 Point depth stop shown below. Far right Picture shows the 3point rocker-shaft depth stop location on the Tractor which Is On the left rear side when Facing the Tractor from the Rear. BTW change the Pin out on the Threaded Rod to a Key ring if You Can sometimes with use the Pin will interfere with Locking the depth stop all the way up.

Keep In Mind there might be a Lag at first when You go Back to using the deck again But That is Normal You Pull up On the deck Lift lever then set You dial to the Height of Cut You will be Using Then after it reaches You height you want Raise it Back all the way Up then Lock up Your 3point with the deck and 3 point raised all the way Up Then the deck will raise and Lower Independently of the 3point Hitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TPH3001.jpg   TPH4001.jpg  
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    So it sounds like I should lock the 3PH up when using the deck. However, if I don't lock it out, the deck should still raise/lower but it would jut be on a lag. Since my 3PH is working but the deck is not responding, it sounds like an installation problem that the dealership needs to fix. Thanks everyone for your insight, and let me know if I'm summarizing wrong.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I don't believe there is a second lock out valve that is independent for the 3pt only and the other for the mid and front lift points. I believe they are all one lockout valve.

When I had issues with my X758 purchase in 2017 I called JD Financial and they were pleasant to deal with and got a hold of the dealer that was running me around. From the date of delivery you have 30 days to decide yay or nay. I would call the dealer and have them pick it up. If you think your selling dealer did incompetent work to prep it and want to call another then do so. I'd still call the JD Finance team and give them a heads up so it's on the record. You don't want the machine sitting at the dealer waiting for repair when the 30 days ends and now you're stuck with it.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Agreed nastorino. My salesperson (who is great) picked up the x758 and returned my x738 for the time being and apologized for the problem. He is a genuine guy and doing the best he can to get his service shop to fix their 3PH installation. I also suspect he knows his service shop is subpar.

I called JD Corporate and they verified my 30-day guarantee ends of August 30th. Unfortunately, I am still in Cincinnati with my boy (who has been discharged after 32 days in the ICU (YEAH!!) now but must stay around the hospital for another week due to the nature of his issue) so I will need to get back to North Carolina early to test it next week, assuming the shop fixes it. Quite an inconvenience and costly, but doable.
    nastorino likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    You don't have to lock one or the other in any position to use them. If you don't lock them they'll just go up and down together. There may be some delay with one or the other, depending on lock/stop settings. I have my mower depth set to 4.5" (pretty high). I can raise the deck, continue to hold the lever until the 3PH is all the way up. Then, when I lower the deck to mow, I release the lever as soon as the deck stops. This leaves the 3PH almost all the way up. It will eventually leak down though. Anyway, that's how I use it to mow. It's too much trouble to turn the stop screw on the 3PH every time I want to set/clear the down stop on the hitch. But, when I do need it to control the hitch stop, I will use it. Pretty easy to keep the mower up by adjusting the height knob all the way up, if keeping the deck up is the need.

And you really should have the lock out valve installed for best performance. Dealers shouldn't sell a remote implement (3PH or otherwise) without this valve.
    Last edited by gittyup; 08-23-2018 at 10:32 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast