Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: Feedback on older JD models

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2018 @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks

Feedback on older JD models

Looking for feedback on purchasing an older Deere mower. Found a LX255 with bagger (1 owner, no hr meter), LX277 with mulch kit (1 owner, 600hrs), and a GT235 with bagger (not sure of #owners, no hr meter). The GT does had a cracked hood but doesn’t look bad. The LXs are around $1k (give or take) with 42” decks and the GT is $1200 with a 48” deck. Anything sticks out as a negative with these mowers? Any recommendations or watchouts? BTW, I have a sloped, 7/10 acre lot and I plan to pull a lawn trailer around and plug aerator. Any guidance is appreciated...thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Main thing being these units are getting old and no telling the hacks that have been done. How handy are you with a wrench and multimeter?
    Parts are easy to get. A little more expensive than you think though.
    I dont own either and I only see the carnage and just plain wore out stuff.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-14-2018 @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I am mechanically inclined so I can work on one if needed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    If it were me, Id get the GT.
    GT235 had the Kawasaki as an option I believe, Id hope for that one.
    The LX series arent bad tractors either, just older, nothing wrong with older though, I wouldnt trade my 318 for all three!

Biggest difference as I see it is that the LX are lawn tractors, the GT is a garden tractor. As such, Id expect the garden tractor to put up with a lot more use/abuse than the others. They are rated for ground engaging equipment, so pulling a cart or aerator around is nothing for them.

Seem like most of the plastic hood tractors had/have cracked hoods. There are still replacements available, and as long as you dont drop something on it, or run into a tree, you shouldnt have any more issues. Personally, I think the older fiberglass hoods lasted longer because people werent as careful with them as one has to be with the plastic bits. Goes for trailer towing too. They opened easier than the fiberglass ones, and that too caused issues. Anyway, not much of an issue if you watch it.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    When we first bought our house I bought an 01 LT155 with a 38" deck to mow close to 2 acres. Used it for two seasons and then upgraded to a one owner 1997 GT 275 with 48" deck and 48" snow thrower attachment. Paid around $700 for the LT with a nice cart and paid about $2K for the GT.

I am more than satisfied with the GT. Fantastic tractor for the time being though I am sure I will upgrade to a larger machine down the road.

Like anything used you really have to be patient, do research, and buy something that has been well cared for, and from someone who "feels good" as a seller. Rule of thumb is I never buy something from someone if I get a bad feeling and it has served me very well over the years.

I would take a 20+ year old machine over a lot of what is available today for a number of reasons, one of the largest being simplicity. Less is often more.
    1997 GT275

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements