• 1 Post By 56Nine
  • 1 Post By BigJim55

Thread: STX38 Black Soot on Deck and Wheels

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-25-2018 @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks

STX38 Black Soot on Deck and Wheels

Anyone experience black soot-like material on the mower deck and wheels? It is limited to the chute side and exhaust side of the JD riding lawn mower. When running the engine for 5 minutes (without the mower deck engaged) no soot shows. Once i engage the mower deck and mow, soot develops all over the deck and r. side wheels. I haven't isolated this as an engine problem or mower deck - belt problem. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    Anyone experience black soot-like material on the mower deck and wheels? It is limited to the chute side and exhaust side of the JD riding lawn mower. When running the engine for 5 minutes (without the mower deck engaged) no soot shows. Once i engage the mower deck and mow, soot develops all over the deck and r. side wheels. I haven't isolated this as an engine problem or mower deck - belt problem. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    Not doubting what you're seeing, we here in central Iowa are having a lot of black dust on the mower and deck I suspect coming from a fungus from the grass. I've not seen black dust until this year, we have had red (rust fungus) in the past.

It's highly unlikely your mower by itself is generating enough soot to cover the mower in 5 minutes. Belt damage should be easy to see and would be mostly on top near the center of the deck. Your mower is a gas engine, and if it's running rich enough to generate that amount of soot, you could NOT see it.

Go walking through your grass with white tennies and report back.
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I never thought of that but i know exactly what your talking about the red/rust looking fungus, which i haven't seen this summer. I wear dark/black shoes so maybe that is why it hasn't been as evident if it's black dust this year. I haven't seen any wear to the mower deck belt nor any dark smoke coming off the exhaust. I'll report back - thanks for the tip!
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You are spot on. White tube socks collected the black soot i am referring to. That was an easy fix - Thank you!
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You are spot on. White tube socks collected the black soot i am referring to. That was an easy fix - Thank you!
    No problem.

I was out this afternoon and I'll bet it looks something like the "soot" in these two pictures, this of course is from the quick hitch, on the rear, but it's all over the machine. Not sure which fungus it is exactly, it doesn't seem to stain and it comes off easily.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180822_161504.jpg   IMG_20180822_161512.jpg  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Mold???
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Mold???
    Looking a little further into the source, turns out it appears that it is a slime mold and a byproduct of the decomposition of organic matter. I should be good to go, as I used the broom yesterday evening to remove excess thatch, and apparently will knock the mold off the blades of grass. We've had another really bad year for lawn growth; extremely wet early on, then crazy hot temperatures that triggered dormancy, followed by cooler than normal wet, grass came out of dormancy, followed by dry and hot that put it back into dormancy. They only thing that has grown well this year is the crabgrass, yellow foxtail, prostrate knot weed, barnyard grass, nutsedge and dandelions. My yard is a MESS!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Darwin

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts

now why couldn't u have posted a pic of them tube socks-huh i and many others would of loved to have seen the test ones.
    56Nine likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements