What's involved with fixing a transaxle leak? (265 hydro)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: What's involved with fixing a transaxle leak? (265 hydro)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

What's involved with fixing a transaxle leak? (265 hydro)

Tractor drives fine, but I'm a new owner and the maintenance is unknown. Just under 650 hours.

Interested in additionally changing the trans oil filter. There's a drain plug, just drain and refill with ... ?

My Google-fu is weak here. I'm seeing conflicting information. Could be TuffTorq, could be Sundstrand. Could be Type F (really? Ford Type F?) or Low Viscosity JD HY-GARD unless the summer gets really hot and then you should maybe consider regular HY-GARD.

Anyway, about that leak. Is that a seal, gasket, just tighten bottom bolts, the whole thing has to come out and be taken apart?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    Tractor drives fine, but I'm a new owner and the maintenance is unknown. Just under 650 hours.

Interested in additionally changing the trans oil filter. There's a drain plug, just drain and refill with ... ?

My Google-fu is weak here. I'm seeing conflicting information. Could be TuffTorq, could be Sundstrand. Could be Type F (really? Ford Type F?) or Low Viscosity JD HY-GARD unless the summer gets really hot and then you should maybe consider regular HY-GARD.

Anyway, about that leak. Is that a seal, gasket, just tighten bottom bolts, the whole thing has to come out and be taken apart?
    You have a Sauer-Sundstrand BDU-21-206

Recommended is Hy-Gard unless used below -12°F then Low Vis Hy-Gard. The auto transmission oil listed is Type M2C33F or M2C33G (no idea what they are )

The leak could be any of the above. It has seals, gaskets, oil rings. The pump/motor unit bolts to the transaxle, 4 bolts from the top. There is an O-ring between them.

The hydraulic motor shaft wore through the top cover of the pump/motor unit on my JD 285 (same transaxle as your 265) Top cover was NLA (no longer available), so I had to buy a used unit to repair mine. It got lost in shipping , so I found a complete used transaxle on Craigslist and bought and installed it. Then shipper found and delivered the pump/motor unit, so now I have a spare.

First picture is my "fix" of expoxying a quarter over the hole. It only held for a couple of mowings about 8 hours and started to leak again.

You can see the four bolts that hold the pump/motor unit to the transaxle in a square pattern around the Quarter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN7251.JPG   DSCN7239.JPG   DSCN7244.JPG  
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 08-25-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. Interesting.

I'll need to first wipe everything clean, then park it and take a look at the floor to get an idea of where it's coming from. If it's a slower leak than originally thought, we'll be topping off with fluids for the time being.

I suppose it could leak from "anywhere," axle seals included.

Just picked this up, because compared to my other 265 it's got the bigger 48" mower, a double push bar in front, an hour meter (less than 650 hrs), and a little provenance (a dealer service receipt and the knowledge of some previous JD dealer work.)

But I'm starting to wonder if my other 265 (with unknown hours) might be a bit tighter overall than this one is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    Thanks for that. Interesting.

I'll need to first wipe everything clean, then park it and take a look at the floor to get an idea of where it's coming from. If it's a slower leak than originally thought, we'll be topping off with fluids for the time being.

I suppose it could leak from "anywhere," axle seals included.

Just picked this up, because compared to my other 265 it's got the bigger 48" mower, a double push bar in front, an hour meter (less than 650 hrs), and a little provenance (a dealer service receipt and the knowledge of some previous JD dealer work.)

But I'm starting to wonder if my other 265 (with unknown hours) might be a bit tighter overall than this one is.
    I am thinking these had either a 46" or 50" mower.

You might want to make one "good one" then sell the other.

If you were local to me, I'd make you a good deal on a complete transaxle assembly.

Check my "For Sale" post of 285 parts (spares for my gone/stolen 285) some/most will fit 265 too. You can verify on JDparts.com
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 08-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I am thinking these had either a 46" or 50" mower.

You might want to make one "good one" then sell the other.

If you were local to me, I'd make you a good deal on a complete transaxle assembly.

Check my "For Sale" post of 285 parts (spares for my gone/stolen 285) some/most will fit 265 too. You can verify on JDparts.com

For whatever reason this one's a 48". I was able to find a mower deck belt for it, but only indirectly. J-D's parts site is weird on this one. And the mower does cut ...

My plan is indeed to make one "good one" and sell the other, but I'm not quite sure which one has the better parts overall. Relevant to this thread, this one may have the leak but the other may have more wear.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements